Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Arum 'Very Pleased' With PPV Buys: Why Do We Need HBO PPV?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You gotta give it to Bob Arum. At a time when boxing in general is slowing down, TR still manages to survive. Bear in mind that TR is a company with full time office workers. Whatever profit TR generates, most of it go to handing paychecks to their employees. Arum mentioned from another article about borrowing money from banks and was glad the interest rates were low. He could clearly repay his loans and still manage to break even. TR employees are happy.

Comment

Good for Bob but Manny needed this to do 500-600k right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        When Canelo, in his last fight, fought an opponent with zero name power (Liam Smith), he drew between 290K and 310K.

https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2...nelo-ppv-buys/

That's an in his prime Canelo Alvarez.

A 37 year old shell of his former self Manny Pacquiao just did the same with an opponent with zero name power.
        Did Manny vs. Bradley III outperform Canelo vs. Khan? NO! Did Manny accomplish more at 26 than Canelo has? NO! Neither of the Morales fights reached 400K! Hate on Canelo all you want, he's the face of boxing today, and he's only 26 years old!
        Last edited by Bronx2245; 11-16-2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
          Did Manny vs. Bradley III outperform Canelo vs. Khan? NO! Did Manny accomplish more at 26 than Canelo has? NO! Neither of the Morales fights reached 400K! Hate on Canelo all you want, he's the face of boxing today!
          I'm not hating on him. Just stating facts. In their respective last fights, the "face of boxing" sold nearly exactly the same number of PPVs as a 37 year old who's arguably hanging on to his career by a thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I'm not hating on him. Just stating facts. In their respective last fights, the "face of boxing" sold nearly exactly the same number of PPVs as a 37 year old who's arguably hanging on to his career by a thread.
            Well if you read my initial quote, I said Canelo is the 2016 PPV King! Manny had 2 fights, Canelo had 2 fights, and GGG had 2 fights! We won't even talk about gate numbers! Canelo is the face of boxing today! If Mayweather comes back, we know all that will change, but right now, Canelo is the man!

Comment

Originally posted by sbeatz View Post
              (Stephen A Yelling Voice) "He's just coming forward, throwing haymaker after haymaker..."

(Tim Bradley Interrupting) "Cmon Stephen A, hes landing some!!!!!
              haha i need to look this sh't up on youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                Good for Bob but Manny needed this to do 500-600k right?
                Right, and Manny's Garantee was 4 million "plus a cut of the PPV" profits, which means, Manny made next to nothing, and will be broke by Christmas. 300,000 buys will net Manny what? We don't even know what his percentage was, but Bob knew damm well this fight would not do 600,000 buys, and Manny actually bought it! it was crazy for him to do an incentive based deal, the only person who made serious money here is the promoter.

It's bad enough that Bob is bleeding Manny dry, but to hoodwink him as well?

I am not even a huge fan of Manny, but that is a travesty.

Comment

If arum does it again then it's probably true that he did well without HBO.

Comment

Arum knows how to run his business, his longevity in the business is the testament that he mastered every nook and cranny about boxing promotion business.

Look what he is still doing at his age:

1. Tried to risk expanding business to china while people are mocking him, he doesn't care, he is a risk taker.

2. Even though he is very old he recognized the power of social media, so what he did is incorporate his boxing business with it. They say old folks is inflexible anymore--can't learn new tricks?, nope, not arum.

3. So you're a competition to him? You really hate him and all that, but, arum doesn't care, if it still makes business sense to do business even with his enemies, he will do it, because he recognized that business and personal issues are two different things.

Comment

We need an independent source to confirm the real numbers. I wouldn't trust what a promoter claims, especially Bob Arum.

Comment

Working...
                      X