Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if FMJ was fighting the likes of Brand in his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Ward lovers are often GGG haters. They praise Ward for his resume and trash GGG for fighting bums. The complete opposite is true. GGG fights 5 times as often as Ward against far stronger opposition. Ward hasn't fought anybody very good since he KOed a weight drained Dawson 4 or 5 years ago. he has averaged about a fight a year since then. GGG recently KOed a world champion while when Ward has one of his infrequent fights it's against some guy ranked 20th or 30th in the weight class below his. This will be his 3rd cherry pick tuneup for Kovalev. Is he ever going to be ready. Ward wanted GGG to drop everything, give him an 8 pound weight advantage and fight him immediately. But Ward needs over a year and all these practice fights to share a ring with Kovalev. Lemieux, Monroe, Murray, Eubanks and even Wade are higher ranked than anybody Ward has fought in years.
    GGG and Kovalev lovers are often Ward...Mayweather...Spence...Wilder...haters.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      did mayweather duck drug testing for a decade...i'll wait

so if you accuse Mayweather and JMM, then accuse manny....he has been ducking drug tests til his pockets got low and he couldnt pay the IRS....deal with it

but you wont
      Why would he duck it when the testers are on his payroll? Basically he gets to juice with impunity while his opponents are deterred

Comment

If a Kovalev-level opponent was up next, like this situation, I wouldn't care.

Comment

bro...when a guy fights 15 world champions and titlists in a row, (Many of them multiple time champions, future hall of famers, and a few all time greats) it has nothing to do with his level of competition....flat out, they just wanted the guy to lose and it didnt happen...tough tittie

the Mayweather standard was leagues above anyone in his era...Manny was the next best fighter in the era, was at 147 for years and spend majority of it fighting guys moving up, catchweights or coming off bad showings.....no one really complained, yet this guy fight guys off their career best wins and they call him coward

it had nothing to do with who he was fighting, they wanted the man to lose,,,,simple as that

I havent seen a fighter fight world class opposition that consistently in very long time.
          when did he beat 15 champions in a row?

Comment

Floyd had people complaining and calling him a coward when he fought former champions(Berto, Guerrero)...hall of famers(JMM, Corrales) and all time greats (DLH, Mosley, Pac)

since some people didnt like him, whether it be in ring out of it, their was always a complaint or excuse

rinse, wash, repeat......you know that
            Criticism for berto, guerrero and jmm was warranted. People called him a coward for fighting corrales and dlh?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              ward's signed for the most significant fight in boxing. frankly, if you don't want him to tune up and be at his best, which he needs to be to make this the most significant fight in boxing, you're just not a fan of the sport.

ward tuning up is a good thing. it sucks for HBO and the people who buy it that they need to essentially lose a fight's worth of budget for a tune up, but it's what's going to get ward in the ring at his best in november, when it really matters.

some of you guys just arent boxing fans. you are crapping on a guy who is fighting a prime p4p fighter in november. and kovalev is bigger than he is! do you have any idea how rare it is for prime, p4p fighters to even be in the same weight neighborhood, never mind to fight?

So?? you know i'm a casual. all this talk about risk, heart, glory i really thought i care but when Ali die i realized that i dont.

i just turn on my TV sunday morning watch whatever fight they put on and forget about it afterward.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                Criticism for berto, guerrero and jmm was warranted. People called him a coward for fighting corrales and dlh?
                They certainly complained. Corrales was weight drained. And stressed because he was going to jail. That affected Floyd too if you recall the loss to Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
                  before the fights were signed, he wasnt going to fight Corrales and dlh, lead up he was supposed to get knocked out,Corrales was actually the favorite in many peoples eyes, then he beats them and wins.....insert excuse

it has happens every big fight since he beat Corrales.....too old, too young, corrales was drained(even though he went right back to 130 after a two year hiatus and won another world title)

its always excuses.

This is 2009, he was set to fight Marquez.....he literally goes on to fight every one Brian Kenny called for and when he did...insert the excuses why he won.....he beat Cotto, Marquez, Pac, and Mosley after this. He beat them all fair and square.

He had been dealing with that crap a long time by 09

Comment

Originally posted by 1g5a22 View Post
                    Brand is 39 & has fought 3 times in the last 3 years.. Only one name stands out on his resume (a loss to TO Badou Jack) Plied his trade as an amateur at MW too. Yet he's fighting Ward at 175! This is actually a jaw droppingly awful & comical opponent pick.. Is he even B level?! May as-well have got Russell Brand as an opponent.. What if FMJ was fighting these guys in his prime? Don't get me wrong I have my criticisms of FMJ but isn't Ward supposed to be the USA's boxing superstar right now? It's not like he doesn't have 175 opposition to chose from is it? It's stacked! I hadn't even heard of Brand til the other day.. Where does Ward get em from? Barrera & Brand I mean come on LOL Can someone explain the point of this fight? If you are going to ply your trade at 175 then at least be serious & don't make a mockery of it..
                    Brand was not Ward's first choice by a long shot.

He was the only guy that didn't refuse or overprice themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                      They certainly complained. Corrales was weight drained. And stressed because he was going to jail. That affected Floyd too if you recall the loss to Cotto.
                      difference is mayweather sucked it up, kept his focus, remained composed and got the W.

A lot of people dont look at this but when I judge all time greats I look at their preparation and ability to follow a game plan ....for example . Roberto Duran didnt always come in top condition even in his prime, whereas mayweather does. Leonard is an ATG but he let his ego get in the way in fight one vs Duran. Mayweather may talk that talk with the opponent during the build up but he always comes 100% in shape and doesnt let his ego get in the way and get away from the game plan. thats a sign of greatness and focus.

Thats the difference between a very good fighter and a great fighter.

No one makes excuses for floyd, he is human, he has distractions but he still gets in the ring and performs

some people are just upset this man hasnt taken a loss, talked crap and backed it up, and was laughing all the way to the bank.

Comment

Working...
                      X