No announcement yet.

PBC/NBC done at the end of this year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mathed View Post
    Yeah and they also have Game of Thrones, the most watched television series in the world.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...the-world.html

"Game of Thrones is HBO’s most popular TV series of all time, being shown in 170 countries and illegally downloaded more times than any other programme on the planet."
    I dont want to talk television on a boxing forum, but HBO has some problems for a while now.

Yes, they have Game of Thrones, but the show will end in the next 1-2 years I believe.

The last hbo drama shows werent successes,
    vinyl flopped, no one is interested in the leftovers and the second true detective season sucked.

Then they have future programming problems. They cancelled shows from acclaimed directors (David Fincher and Steve Mcqueen) and already postponed westworld several times.

Then the head of programming departed hbo, probably because of all the aforementioned reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by RSBonos View Post
      It's hard to see any future 100 million + investment into boxing. What a waste.
      Go look around at some of the ratings for these other live sports that have commanded huge money and I think you'll feel differently. Live sports is huge for networks and it's only getting huger. The UFC's Fox deal is for ~$90M/yr and there is talk of them getting ~$200M+/yr when the next deal comes up in another 2yrs or so.

So basically there is for sure still an opportunity for PBC to get a big money TV deal. And I suspect worse case they could get a $50M+ deal where they could still show there biggest fights on Showtime to keep things moving til they can grow into a big money deal.

So many people are too consumed with how PBC can lose that they are ignoring all the ways they can win, even if that win takes a little longer to secure, as winning can often do.

Comment

Originally posted by asgarth View Post
        I dont want to talk television on a boxing forum, but HBO has some problems for a while now.

Yes, they have Game of Thrones, but the show will end in the next 1-2 years I believe.

The last hbo drama shows werent successes,
        vinyl flopped, no one is interested in the leftovers and the second true detective season sucked.

Then they have future programming problems. They cancelled shows from acclaimed directors (David Fincher and Steve Mcqueen) and already postponed westworld several times.

Then the head of programming departed hbo, probably because of all the aforementioned reasons.
        Look, problems aside, HBO still provides the best boxing experience on television. Their production is head and shoulders above even what Showtime is capable of offering.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Go look around at some of the ratings for these other live sports that have commanded huge money and I think you'll feel differently. Live sports is huge for networks and it's only getting huger. The UFC's Fox deal is for ~$90M/yr and there is talk of them getting ~$200M+/yr when the next deal comes up in another 2yrs or so.

So basically there is for sure still an opportunity for PBC to get a big money TV deal. And I suspect worse case they could get a $50M+ deal where they could still show there biggest fights on Showtime to keep things moving til they can grow into a big money deal.

So many people are too consumed with how PBC can lose that they are ignoring all the ways they can win, even if that win takes a little longer to secure, as winning can often do.
          The problem is with the sport of boxing and how it is structured. Until that changes, boxing will continue to diminish on an all-encompassing level.

Comment

Yes look at the nba tv contracts, the cap keeps going. I think people don't care about boxing unless it is marquee fights.

Even I seen recent PBC bouts and the guys fighting are no names. I also think people lose interest when the big fight is on later and most people don't want to sit through a few fights with fighters they don't know.

The marquee fights occur far to seldom and the top fights are PPV. After the Thurman-Porter fight what is the next big fight on PBC? It would have to be a marquee title fight to keep viewers interested.
            Last edited by Sportsguy; 06-25-2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell Kane View Post
              People have been talking about HBO's budget limitations, where have you been?

But I find it interesting that in a thread with (potentially) new information about PBC/NBC, you want to deflect to HBO.
              Where's the new information? You mean the new rumor, right? How many times have we heard it's the death of PBC this year? A random user on Reddit said they wouldn't make it past June and the boxing media took it and ran with it.

There is one person who can tell us what's going on with HBO boxing, yet he chooses to do a 5 part series on Al Haymon in which all we learned was he had an afro in college. I can pull up numerous articles written about PBC. Can you show me any that talk in depth about HBO's boxing budget problem? They invested $100 mil into a series that won't even be shown a second season. Simmons is reported to make $10 mil a year. They invested heavy in his show and website. And he couldn't even crack 300k his debut show that's been being heavily pushed for almost a year. Everyone will say HBO cut their boxing budget but no one will take a serious look into what's going on and if HBO even plans on staying in boxing. They still haven't filled Nelson's former position.

Comment

The issues with Simmon's show is that there are too many shows like it. What makes it different from any of the popular sports shows? Also I am a big NBA guy and I didn't even know about the show until news about Ben rant on Deflategate.

People don't like Simmon's as a personality, I am not suprised.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  The problem is with the sport of boxing and how it is structured. Until that changes, boxing will continue to diminish on an all-encompassing level.
                  Obviously there are issues with boxing. There has been & there always will be. That isn't gonna stop networks from looking at it in regards to TV deals.

Originally posted by Sportsguy View Post
                  Yes look at the nba tv contracts, the cap keeps going. I think people don't care about boxing unless it is marquee fights.

Even I seen recent PBC bouts and the guys fighting are no names. I also think people lose interest when the big fight is on later and most people don't want to sit through a few fights with fighters they don't know.

The marquee fights occur far to seldom and the top fights are PPV. After the Thurman-Porter fight what is the next big fight on PBC? It would have to be a marquee title fight to keep viewers interested.
                  This is an issue across boxing & its been an issue across boxing. HBO has been the premier source of elite level boxing since I've been a fan of the sport & even they have shown a record number of 30-1, 50-1 favorite type fights in the last 2-3 years.

That said I don't think boxing can reach its highest possible level with the strategy its been employing & as you bring up, but I still think fighting is such a primitive, dramatic and basic sport (I mean you can go to a basketball game & people will stop watching the game if a fight breaks out in the stands) that even non-marquee level fights should be able to command some money from networks.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
                    amazing how boxing fans want boxing to fail
                    Well, if it succeeding means we keep getting the garbage they're feeding us, then yes, I want it to fail. That goes for all platforms. The only one actually trying to give us good fights is Showtime. Maybe when they regroup they will actually have good guys fighting each other and meaningful fights. I'm certainly not going to cry about 15 good fights a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post

real talk....

Comment

Working...
                      X