No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sugar Ray Leonard: I Told Mayweather I Would Have Beat Him

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
    Nah ur wrong fella...at welter Leonards combinations were quick and powerful...he was also a brilliant body puncher and that's basically what broke hearns down ..he also was relentless when he hurt you and could drop with you his left or right ....u haven't watched enough of Leonard to see when he actually sat down on his combinations he was Ko artist .there are many videos on YouTube when he finishes an opponent either going back or forwards ....Ayub kalule had never been of his feet in his life and 35-0 and was granite chinned so for you to say he only threw arm punches in his flurries is one one the moat idiotic things I have ever heard...they were a lot more than that and him knocking out full fledged welterweights and jnr middleweight in there prime and they were not actually looking away.....Leonard could fight Floyd from a distance or he could chase him down and finish him up close....Leonard had superior reach,height and power and the reason why Leonard did take a few more punches than Floyd is because he was also an offensive fighter that would take a shot so he could get close and take you out of there....if Leonard wanted to fight like mayweather and be 100% defensive he could have boxed the way he did with Duran in the 2nd fight in all his fights when Duran never laid a glove on him but then we would have been robbed of some of the greatest fights in history in hearns vs Leonard 1 and Duran vs Leonard 1... Now you see where I'm getting at...Floyd fights one way only and he has picked his opponents which were suited to his style .ie Latin fairly slow footed fighters....maidana,Ortiz,Guerrero,cotto and even de la Hoya and Mosley are slow as molasses compared to a prime Leonard ....at welterweight Leonard beat defensive genius in Benitez and his nickname was El Radar.,he beat boxer punchers and true killer in hearns ! He made one of the most fearsome fighters in history quit in duran ...Hearn's was over 6ft 1 with a reach of 78inches and had a record 32-0 and 30 KO's Benitez was 36-0 and 1 draw and Duran was 76-1 loss and kalule was 34-0 which make there combined record of 178 wins 1 loss and 1 draw that's ridiculous stats and Leonard stopped all of them....Floyd is 100% defensive against slower fighters.
    Leonard was ruthless and wanted do damage when he was in the ring.Floyd would be overwhelmed by Leonard by the 10th round...to much speed,power and Devil
    bro dont tell me who I watched when leonard was my favorite fighter growing up. That being said, just because I like a fighter doesnt mean they are invincible.

so basically you are calling mayweather a cherrypicker.....you dont cherrypick world champions and fighters in the top 5 in your divison and thats who he ended up fighting more times than not in the last half of his career. you cant pick who is in your era.

anyway, get this 39 year old mayweather out of your head.....mayweather in 06-07 at welterweight was in his prime. He was not 100% defensive and still threw combos, was slicker than even Benitez,more consistent and flat out a better fighter overall. Mayweather adapts and Benitez fought the same way every fight, if it didnt work or he was underprepared. He lost. almost lost to bruce curry and Hearns was outboxing him, he kept fighting the same way. Floyd adapts mid fight

bro mayweather has been buzzed a few times at 147 and 154...never was he dropped in a heap...Mosley rocked him, Maidana and Oscar hit hard as well....imo they hit just as hard as leonard if not harder but its not always about power

I just dont see how leonard is knocking out floyd out. He may drop him but i think you are underrating Floyds toughness and overrating leonards power

Leonard broke guys down...he stopped benitez late and he stopped hearns late, jouneyman Marcos Geraldo saw the final bell as did Adolfo Viruet. Leonard had good power but he was Ray Robinson or Hearns powerwise

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      Leonard tried to box Hearns but couldnt get past his jab, when he realized he could hurt him, he turned up the heat

Sugar Ray:
      Pug,
      yes you are totally correct with that analogy, Leonard did try to box Hearns & couldn't get past his jab (but lets not think that is a reason to think that he would have a problem with floyd's jab) but then again no other Welter was able to get past Hearns jab. And it took someone with skills to get the job done. And this is where floyd falls short, yes he has the skills as Leonard, but to beat Hearns you need more than just skills & that is where the difference is, Leonard had Power in both hands. And that is what was able to keep Hearns from coming forward. And Floyd does not have power, which you do need when you are facing great fighters that have a combination of speed, power, stamina, good boxing skills & techniques, eventually you gonna need pop in your punches. If Leonard did not have pop in his punches there is no way in hell he would've been able to keep Tommy off of him

therealpugilist;
      size is size...skills are skills....two differnt things.....

Sugar Ray:
      Again totally agree with you, and Sugar Ray Leonard had 'em both

therealpugilist;
      Mayweather has a better chin and defense than Hearns ever had.

Sugar Ray:
      Sure of course & so did Duran have an iron chin, but Hearns KO'd him out and so what Floyd had better defense, you can't win a fight alone on defense against an explosive offensive machine like Leonard who's speed matches Floyds.

therealpugilist;
      Also he was a better counterpuncher than Leonard and threw shorter shots. Leonard threw arm punches when he tried to flurry and ****ed back and looped shots when he sat down on them. Floyd would see that coming regardless of speed...its about accuracy.

Sugar Ray:
      Sugar was just as accurate puncher as Floyd, and I hate so say this but when you are facing the Gatti, Baldimor, Hatton, Get Shorty Marquez, Guerrero of course you are going to be accurate. Maidana made Floyd miss alot in the 1st fight.

therealpugilist;
      The fight is 60/40 in leonard's favor but Mayweather had the skill, adaptabilty, chin, and intangibles to beat Leonard as well
      Sugar Ray:
      Hmmm...I'm not in agreement here but I will say this Mayweather is the best in his era & yes he is a special & great fighter.
      Last edited by sugar ray lenrd; 05-27-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Leonard tried to box Hearns but couldnt get past his jab, when he realized he could hurt him, he turned up the heat

Sugar Ray:
        Pug,
        yes you are totally correct with that analogy, Leonard did try to box Hearns & couldn't get past his jab (but lets not think that is a reason to think that he would have a problem with floyd's jab) but then again no other Welter was able to get past Hearns jab. And it took someone with skills to get the job done. And this is where floyd falls short, yes he has the skills as Leonard, but to beat Hearns you need more than just skills & that is where the difference is, Leonard had Power in both hands. And that is what was able to keep Hearns from coming forward. And Floyd does not have power, which you do need when you are facing great fighters that have a combination of speed, power, stamina, good boxing skills & techniques, eventually you gonna need pop in your punches. If Leonard did not have pop in his punches there is no way in hell he would've been able to keep Tommy off of him

therealpugilist;
        size is size...skills are skills....two differnt things.....

Sugar Ray:
        Again totally agree with you, and Sugar Ray Leonard had 'em both

therealpugilist;
        Mayweather has a better chin and defense than Hearns ever had.

Sugar Ray:
        Sure of course & so did Duran have an iron chin, but Hearns KO'd him out and so what Floyd had better defense, you can't win a fight alone on defense against an explosive offensive machine like Leonard who's speed matches Floyds.

therealpugilist;
        Also he was a better counterpuncher than Leonard and threw shorter shots. Leonard threw arm punches when he tried to flurry and ****ed back and looped shots when he sat down on them. Floyd would see that coming regardless of speed...its about accuracy.

Sugar Ray:
        Sugar was just as accurate puncher as Floyd, and I hate so say this but when you are facing the Gatti, Baldimor, Hatton, Get Shorty Marquez, Guerrero of course you are going to be accurate. Maidana made Floyd miss alot in the 1st fight.

therealpugilist;
        The fight is 60/40 in leonard's favor but Mayweather had the skill, adaptabilty, chin, and intangibles to beat Leonard as well
        Sugar Ray:
        Hmmm...I'm not in agreement here but I will say this Mayweather is the best in his era & yes he is a special & great fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
          Sugar Ray:
          I thought we were talking pbf vs srl...not pbf vs hearns?

Comment

Sugar Ray:
            floyd was in his late 30s vs maidana,...leonard looked like hammered crap in his 30s

thats not fair to either guy to look at results out of their prime

Comment

Sugar Ray:
              leonard held the edge in physicality and mayweather had edge in punching technique and defense

Leonard was no where near the defensive fighter Floyd was, he was more a boxer puncher.....floyd was a technician who adapted.

both were special and if they fought we would have saw them bring the best out of each other

2006-2007 floyd vs 1980-81 leonard is too much talent for one ring

Comment

bro dont tell me who I watched when leonard was my favorite fighter growing up. That being said, just because I like a fighter doesnt mean they are invincible.

so basically you are calling mayweather a cherrypicker.....you dont cherrypick world champions and fighters in the top 5 in your divison and thats who he ended up fighting more times than not in the last half of his career. you cant pick who is in your era.

anyway, get this 39 year old mayweather out of your head.....mayweather in 06-07 at welterweight was in his prime. He was not 100% defensive and still threw combos, was slicker than even Benitez,more consistent and flat out a better fighter overall. Mayweather adapts and Benitez fought the same way every fight, if it didnt work or he was underprepared. He lost. almost lost to bruce curry and Hearns was outboxing him, he kept fighting the same way. Floyd adapts mid fight

bro mayweather has been buzzed a few times at 147 and 154...never was he dropped in a heap...Mosley rocked him, Maidana and Oscar hit hard as well....imo they hit just as hard as leonard if not harder but its not always about power

I just dont see how leonard is knocking out floyd out. He may drop him but i think you are underrating Floyds toughness and overrating leonards power

Leonard broke guys down...he stopped benitez late and he stopped hearns late, jouneyman Marcos Geraldo saw the final bell as did Adolfo Viruet. Leonard had good power but he was Ray Robinson or Hearns powerwise
                We're talking about as a welterweight which is what this discussion is about ....now Guerrero ,Ortiz , berto , maidana, an old Mosley who was almost 39 ffs.....and old Oscar who was 34 years old....this is not about mayweather as a lightweight or super feather ....this is about teaching u some common sense which u seem to seriously lack...you can't seem to grasp the level in competition that mayweather beat at welterweight compared with sugar ray Leonard who's victorys at welterweight were against ATG fighters all in there prime ...Leonard adapted with hearns...he adapted with Duran ...so what the hell are you talking about....mayweather at his best at welterweight was taken to a split decision by an old 34 Oscar he was also out boxed for a good 6 rounds and dropped by Judah ....don't make it sound like mayweather was never touched as a fighter ...he was touched by Judah and Mosley ...an an old Mosley and zab Judah lol....get with it because u think a defence with no offence beats a sugar ray Leonard in his prime....you don't know f@ck all about boxing lol..btw Marcos Geraldo took marvin hagler the full 12 rounds and was a middlweight and that was a 1979 version of hagler...know ur facts lol...and this thread if you done a poll Leonard would 40 to 10 up
                Last edited by The plunger man; 05-27-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve plunger View Post
                  We're talking about as a welterweight which is what this discussion is about ....now Guerrero ,Ortiz , berto , maidana, an old Mosley who was almost 39 ffs.....and old Oscar who was 34 years old....this is not about mayweather as a lightweight or super feather ....this is about teaching u some common sense which u seem to seriously lack...you can't seem to grasp the level in competition that mayweather beat at welterweight compared with sugar ray Leonard who's victorys at welterweight were against ATG fighters all in there prime ...Leonard adapted with hearns...he adapted with Duran ...so what the hell are you talking about....mayweather at his best at welterweight was taken to a split decision by an old 34 Oscar he was also out boxed for a good 6 rounds and dropped by Judah ....don't make it sound like mayweather was never touched as a fighter ...he was touched by Judah and Mosley ...an an old Mosley and zab Judah lol....get with it because u think a defence with no offence beats a sugar ray Leonard in his prime....you don't know f@ck all about boxing lol.....and this thread if you done a poll Leonard would 40 to 10 up
                  gerado was a journey men deal with it...size or not....viruet was never a legit ww contender either and he saw the final bell with leonard....face the facts

who said he was never touched.....i said he was never dropped in a heap and buzzed only a hand ful of times.....reading is fundamental but comprehension is essential

Leonard was a good puncher but he wouldnt land enough to ko mayweather.
                  he would not have just blitzed floyd when he had journeymen and guys like viruet who was a former lightweight see the former bell.

I love leonard but he couldnt ko lesser fighters yet he is going to ko one of the best defensive fighters in history, in his prime.

IM not high off nostalgia...i favor leonard but floyd was superior to him in some ways and vice versa. thats what makes the fight intriguing.

Comment

gerado was a journey men deal with it...size or not....viruet was never a legit ww contender either and he saw the final bell with leonard....face the facts

who said he was never touched.....i said he was never dropped in a heap and buzzed only a hand ful of times.....reading is fundamental but comprehension is essential

Leonard was a good puncher but he wouldnt land enough to ko mayweather.
                    he would not have just blitzed floyd when he had journeymen and guys like viruet who was a former lightweight see the former bell.

I love leonard but he couldnt ko lesser fighters yet he is going to ko one of the best defensive fighters in history, in his prime.

IM not high off nostalgia...i favor leonard but floyd was superior to him in some ways and vice versa. thats what makes the fight intriguing.
                    Do you want me to real off all the journeymen Floyd went the distance with ? Do you also want me to write down all the fighters that floyd has gone the distance since he was a welterweight ...every f@ckin one besides a sucker punch to Ortiz.....lets talk journeymen shall we then ....Floyd went the distance with tony pep and gustavo cuello so what's your point ? Lol.....most fighters when there progressing in there career will go the distance so it just go's to show how out of touch you are.....according to you floyds most in prime fight as a welterweight was his split decision against a 34 year old Oscar de la Hoya who had by that time lost 4 times and his fight before last was knocked out by Bernard Hopkins ...and your saying that's floyds mayweathers at his prime....a split decision win against a faded 34 year old....u should be barred from this site for moronic comments lol

Comment

• Points win SRL slightly naturally bigger just as fast and elusive harder hitter and same chin.

Comment

Working...
                      X