Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Andre Ward is more skilled than Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
    Andre is more skilled at headbutting, clinching and being a white man.
    agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by b00g13man View Post
      Rather than claim "dislike", how about you tell us why he is more skilled?
      I don't know if he's more skilled but I feel he's just as good as him. It just seems he rarely ever makes any mistakes in any of his fights. He's only been knocked down once way earlier in his career but besides that he's never been close to losing before in any fight from what I recall.

Comment

Lol @ this thread. Ward has fought how many times the past 4 years? Against who again?

Comment

Absolutely not.
          I honestly can't think of anything that Ward does as well but that is no knock on him.

Comment

Didn't Mayweather once admit Ward was a better boxer? I could be wrong, but I do remember him praising Ward's skills

Comment

Floyd is probably better.. both are spectacular fighters.

I like Ward more though, as a person and as a fighter.

Comment

I think its a case that they have different skill sets, owing to differing levels of athleticism and natural gifts such as reach.

I think Ward may have a more rounded skill set, and a deeper bag of tricks as he has done more with less. Aka, he has never had the consistently massive reach advantage over most of his opponents that Floyd enjoyed. He never has had the kind of explosivity or athleticism that Floyd had either.

Floyd refined a very specific set of skills around his exceptional reach, and athleticism. And became one of the most skilled counter punchers ever, and became very adept at forcing fighters to fight his fight. Most of his fights look the same. Jab to the stomach ("Something he is able to do as consistently as he can because of his reach") consistently for the first few rounds, until fighter fall for jab feints as a body jab, when he then turns into a hook. Defensively he is very good, one of the best ever, and he once again used his reach speed and athleticism a very potent weapon for him.

Andre Ward doesn't have the same kind of reach or explosiveness or speed that Floyd was gifted with, so he crafted his skill set around being able to adapt to different scenarios and think his way through fights instead of relying on his physical assets and gifts. Much more like Bernard Hopkins. I feel like Ward probably has a more well rounded bag of tricks than Floyd has, but none of his tricks are as good as the couple that Floyd refined.

Does that mean Floyd is better or Ward is better? I think it just means that they have different skill sets.

I don't think Floyd could have made the game plan Wards used against Dawson work, just the same as I dont think Ward could have made the game plan Floyd used against Corrales work.

I think overall Ward is probably the more Cerebral fighter, and the smarter fighter. Floyd is more athletic and physically gifted.

Floyds Skills that he has mastered are sharper than Wards, but ward has bit more of a broad skill set, especially in the sense that no two Ward fights look the same. Some times they are ugly mauling pinning your opponent against the ropes fights. Some times they are boxing from the outside, some times they are inside fighting in the middle of the ring. Floyds fights, from fight to fight all look pretty similar. Its Floyd doing what Floyd does.

Maybe that means Floyd is more skilled because he is able to make fighters fight in a way that he can fight the same every fight. Maybe Ward is more skillful because he due to lack of natural gifts must adapt his fighting style to every opponent.

They are both great fighters. Stylistically, Ward is much more comparable to hopkins though, skillset wise as well.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  I think its a case that they have different skill sets, owing to differing levels of athleticism and natural gifts such as reach.

I think Ward may have a more rounded skill set, and a deeper bag of tricks as he has done more with less. Aka, he has never had the consistently massive reach advantage over most of his opponents that Floyd enjoyed. He never has had the kind of explosivity or athleticism that Floyd had either.

Floyd refined a very specific set of skills around his exceptional reach, and athleticism. And became one of the most skilled counter punchers ever, and became very adept at forcing fighters to fight his fight. Most of his fights look the same. Jab to the stomach ("Something he is able to do as consistently as he can because of his reach") consistently for the first few rounds, until fighter fall for jab feints as a body jab, when he then turns into a hook. Defensively he is very good, one of the best ever, and he once again used his reach speed and athleticism a very potent weapon for him.

Andre Ward doesn't have the same kind of reach or explosiveness or speed that Floyd was gifted with, so he crafted his skill set around being able to adapt to different scenarios and think his way through fights instead of relying on his physical assets and gifts. Much more like Bernard Hopkins. I feel like Ward probably has a more well rounded bag of tricks than Floyd has, but none of his tricks are as good as the couple that Floyd refined.

Does that mean Floyd is better or Ward is better? I think it just means that they have different skill sets.

I don't think Floyd could have made the game plan Wards used against Dawson work, just the same as I dont think Ward could have made the game plan Floyd used against Corrales work.

I think overall Ward is probably the more Cerebral fighter, and the smarter fighter. Floyd is more athletic and physically gifted.

Floyds Skills that he has mastered are sharper than Wards, but ward has bit more of a broad skill set, especially in the sense that no two Ward fights look the same. Some times they are ugly mauling pinning your opponent against the ropes fights. Some times they are boxing from the outside, some times they are inside fighting in the middle of the ring. Floyds fights, from fight to fight all look pretty similar. Its Floyd doing what Floyd does.

Maybe that means Floyd is more skilled because he is able to make fighters fight in a way that he can fight the same every fight. Maybe Ward is more skillful because he due to lack of natural gifts must adapt his fighting style to every opponent.

They are both great fighters. Stylistically, Ward is much more comparable to hopkins though, skillset wise as well.
                  I agree with parts of this post. Floyd is more athletically gifted than Ward is. He has better hand speed, foot speed, balance, coordination, and p4p Floyd is probably the harder puncher.

Both guys are very cerebral and calculating fighters but I disagree when you said Ward has a larger bag of tricks. Ward once said he has stolen several tricks from Floyd, like the jab to the body. Not all of Floyd's fights look the same but he is a master at forcing people to fight the way he wants to fight, which is why they often look the same.. Floyd likes to fight at a slow pace but hes had some fight that were barn burners, for example the Gatti fight and the Judah fight.

Watching Ward fight is like watching a bigger, slower, less explosive version of Floyd.

Comment

Ward is not fighting Mexicans so its a little more difficult to look better.

Comment

Both are unbelievably skilled. The best of this era

I give Floyd a higher grade though as I think he is slightly better on offence, particularly when he was at his better suited weight of 150 or below

Comment

Working...
                      X