Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Crawford vs. Postol a PPV Worthy Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
    PPVs are made on the basis of market appeal, not quality. Crawford-Postol is a great fight but who's heard of them?
    That's a problem. You have people that watch boxing 1-2 times per year having a say in who the top fighters face every year. Which is why there has been a disconnect in the response to Canelo/Khan. The public loves it, the hard cores call it a joke.

This will likely be the only way we can see fights like this get made. If this fails, be prepared for years and years of Golovkin/Monroe, Crawford/Lundy, Kovalev/Caparello type fights where a $1.5 million A-side fighter taking on a $150K B-side fighter because that's all the network can squeeze into the budget. If you think about it, Loma/Walters fell apart over $300K which is only a little over 4,000 PPV buys.

Comment

This brings me back to the Bradley vs Alexander, which was a fight that was supposed to be made at that time. It was huge here on boxingscene, but fight came and I didn't know why it's still not on when it's almost midnight (EST). They didn't even show any one of the undercards. Then it became clear that the fight didn't sell just seeing the number of people in the audience. FNF had better attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by Finito2K View Post
        Canelo is a proven ppv commodity. No one besides die hard fight fans will purchase this PPV, unless theirs a real solid undercard to go with it.
        And that still might be enough. They probably only need 50-75K buys to cover the purses.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
          I'll buy it. That being said, casuals buy more PPVs than hardcore fans think. They want names they recognize.

This......

Comment

Working...
          X