Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Crawford vs. Postol a PPV Worthy Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crawford hasn't fought anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
      Add in the fact that Crawford's last fight drew 900K viewers and Postol's last fight drew 600K viewers.

I'm a big Crawford fan, but I hope that PPV does like 25K PPV buys. I want everyone to lose so much money they never even consider something so preposterous again.

Because trust me, if this works, every decent fight will be on PPV.
      That goes both ways though. On the flip side, everybody will be sidelined because HBO doesn't have the budget to pay the best to fight the best. I give props to Floyd and Pac for testing themselves early in their careers but they were paid well to do it. Floyd got $1.7 mil vs Corrales and Pac got $1.75 mil for the first Morales fight.

Since the networks don't have the budgets anymore, PPV is the only other option. It would be nice if PBC's model works but it's still a work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
        Add in the fact that Crawford's last fight drew 900K viewers and Postol's last fight drew 600K viewers.

I'm a big Crawford fan, but I hope that PPV does like 25K PPV buys. I want everyone to lose so much money they never even consider something so preposterous again.

Because trust me, if this works, every decent fight will be on PPV.
        So wait this Crawford-Postol fight is on PPV?

I mean they're both undefeated top guys, but Bob can't put this fight on PPV. Hell Mayweather vs Corrales were #8 and #5 P4P respectively, undefeated, and top #1 and #2 SFW's and Bob/HBO didn't put that fight on PPV because it would have bombed. Mayweather-Castillo would have also bombed. This fight will bomb so hard, if it does 25k I would be surprised.

Comment

Donaire vs Rigondeaux would have been PPV in today's standards. In fact, there were similar fights back then that were not on PPV. Likewise, Broner vs Maidana was on regular subscription. So what do you think changed?

Comment

I think this is HBO's way of cutting off boxing. Unbelievable that a WCB type of fight will be on PPV. HBO/Arum better have an undisclosed preset figure of 150k to lie to the reporters and media with, because this **** would be a massive success if it even hits the 75k mark.

Comment

PPVs are made on the basis of market appeal, not quality. Crawford-Postol is a great fight but who's heard of them?

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                So wait this Crawford-Postol fight is on PPV?

I mean they're both undefeated top guys, but Bob can't put this fight on PPV. Hell Mayweather vs Corrales were #8 and #5 P4P respectively, undefeated, and top #1 and #2 SFW's and Bob/HBO didn't put that fight on PPV because it would have bombed. Mayweather-Castillo would have also bombed. This fight will bomb so hard, if it does 25k I would be surprised.
                That fight would've never happened today because Floyd made $1.7 mil and Corrales made $1.4 mil. That's a $3.1 million license fee which would be more 10% of HBO's entire budget for 2016. Boxing has changed.

The best fighting the best costs money and with all of these budget cuts that money has to come from somewhere else. Which is why they are looking for these smaller scale PPVs.

Comment

Neither guy has a name and tbh it's not even that high quality of a fight. It's a good fight but let's be clear, neither Postol nor Crawford have accomplished much at the elite level. Buying this ppv, you are paying for potential. Even as a hardcore fan, I prefer not to pay for potential. Especially in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                    I'm asking you as a boxing fan. Why accept fights like Canelo/Khan as PPVs but turn your nose up at fights like these? I can understand a casual having that mindset but shouldn't we be willing to pay to see the best fight the best as opposed to a mismatch involving a name fighter?
                    Canelo is a proven ppv commodity. No one besides die hard fight fans will purchase this PPV, unless theirs a real solid undercard to go with it.

Comment

Because nobody would pay to view this fight. :P

Comment

Working...
                      X