Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Isn't Crawford vs. Postol a PPV Worthy Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems that the sentiment in boxing is that fights are only PPV worthy if they will appeal to the casuals. I would sure as hell buy it

Comment

Because ppl prefer events even if they are mismatches. Case in point Canelo vs Khan.

Comment

**** the casuals...I have no problem paying for elite competitive fights like this one.

It'll be the only truly competitive fight on ppv so far this year.

Comment

canelo khan is a disgrace, I ould throw a rotten tomato if I see this chump!
          Lets go Bud vs Postol!

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
            It seems that the sentiment in boxing is that fights are only PPV worthy if they will appeal to the casuals. I would sure as hell buy it
            That's a problem. Casuals are just that and don't get the concept of weight classes, styles and primes. They create high demand for crap fights or fights past their expiration date and then cry "boxing is dead* after the fight sucks.

Originally posted by Dinamita 03 View Post
            **** the casuals...I have no problem paying for elite competitive fights like this one.

It'll be the only truly competitive fight on ppv so far this year.
            Exactly. If we aren't willing to pay for these types of fights no one will. And promoters will feed us garbage.

Originally posted by techliam View Post
            What division was Canelo/Lara fought at? I thought it was Caneloweight (155lb) but I may be wrong. You could also add Pac-Bradley 3 to the list - theres only the RING who refused to see it, and this is the publication that sanctioned Floyd-Guerrero for their RING title, so theres major questions to be asked surrounding the legitimacy of their rankings (or titles).

I wish PPV equated more to skill more than network pushing or star power, but we know it doesn't. The issue here is that hardcore fans focus a lot more on the merits of the matchup, casuals focus way more on names. Its casuals that dictate the direction of PPVs - Canelo/Khan couldn't be a more perfect example
            I made an exception for Canelo/Lara. You can consider Pac/Bradley a 1/2 I guess but that's more about what the other fighters not doing anything than Pac and Bradley knocking off numerous top welterweight contenders.

Comment

It's just a bad trend. I make enough money to be able to afford every PPV without thinking twice about it, but I don't spend my money on PPVs based on principle. When sports like NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, soccer are available for free, I will never pay $60-70 for a good, not great, boxing match.

Let's put Thurman-Porter on PPV while we're at it. Because, you know, why not? It's a good fight so charge for it. All good fights should cost $60-70. Because that's good for boxing!

Comment

Most of us here will buy it or at least stream it. But my guess is that if you take away Mexicans who only support Mexican boxers, Puerto Ricans who only support their own boxers, there is probably less than 100,000 hardcore boxing fans in this country. That is why no matter how good of a matchup it may be, it just won't sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  It's just a bad trend. I make enough money to be able to afford every PPV without thinking twice about it, but I don't spend my money on PPVs based on principle. When sports like NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, soccer are available for free, I will never pay $60-70 for a good, not great, boxing match.

Let's put Thurman-Porter on PPV while we're at it. Because, you know, why not? It's a good fight so charge for it. All good fights should cost $60-70. Because that's good for boxing!
                  Not necessarily. I'm a Washington Wizards fan living vin Miami. I can't watch Wizards games without league pass. I can't watch Thursday night Football without paying for NFL network. I can't watch Jags games without Sunday ticket for direct TV.

If I want to see the games I want to see, I have to come out of pocket.

Comment

It's not a PPV fight because PPV was designed for huge fights that transcend sports and are "events". That changed once Tyson fought McNeely. Instead of having a great fight you could profit off a star in boxing regardless of who the opponent was. The star's presence, and not the quality of the matchup, made it an event.

This fight is a great fight, but it is not an event nor does it have a star that transcends the sport making it an event. Thus, IMO, it should not be on PPV.

Comment

The better question is...how is this even a thread?

Comment

Working...
                      X