No announcement yet.

Forreal doe, dat was mo' entertaining than any boxing I've seen this year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
    Its a damned if you do damned if you dont deal. You want more exciting fights but at the time same you want a recognized skill level. Hard to get both. Its the reason why even with boxings abc champions its even harder to take a UFC champ serious as a champ.
    Very true, you know the upper crust in most divisions, the top 3-4 guys would be better than the top 3-4 guys in a UFC division. There's no doubt MMA has seen soem quality, i.e. Silva, GSP, Jones but that list is so damn short it's almost laughable.

What boxing can learn is to restrict fighter purses to something more manageable, which would increase quality match ups between evenly matched opponents and thus provide us with more entertaining bouts. Just last night we saw Ali v Vargas, two almost evenly matched guys who gave us a terrific match up.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Very true, you know the upper crust in most divisions, the top 3-4 guys would be better than the top 3-4 guys in a UFC division. There's no doubt MMA has seen soem quality, i.e. Silva, GSP, Jones but that list is so damn short it's almost laughable.

What boxing can learn is to restrict fighter purses to something more manageable, which would increase quality match ups between evenly matched opponents and thus provide us with more entertaining bouts. Just last night we saw Ali v Vargas, two almost evenly matched guys who gave us a terrific match up.
      Agreed to the fullest. Some guys are making way too much money before their time. They are getting paid on an investment standard and not on their actual worth. So of course if they are making bank money they lose their drive to step up (a bird in the hand).

Comment

Originally posted by JACK1190 View Post
        I just watched it and didn't find it exciting at all. It was lime watching two drunks throwing punches. If you find that exciting then Boxing isn't for you.
        Originally posted by stuff jones View Post
        If you think that low skilled **** is better than boxing you were never a boxing fan.
        Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
        I gotta agree, UFC can be entertaining at times (when two guys are standing and fighting and not jumping on each others ass for 15 minutes) but the quality is seriously lacking when one of the top guys loses to a man who is a UFC journeyman. It's quite sad actually.

The UFC can not maintain a single star because, in all honesty, there are no stars. UFC sells on it's brand and the odd stand out who comes along and then disappears. I can't take a sport like that seriously.
        People who get it.

I think that maybe in the future I'll be a fan of the sport as fighters continue to develop but as of now, hell to the no.

Comment

Nate Diaz is not a "journeyman" though. He has a long list of class wins. He's just reckless I don't know what the boxing equivalent would be. Maybe a prime Mayorga. If you moved up 25 lbs to fight a 30 year old Mayorga would that be losing to a journeyman?

People who literally don't know what they're talking about and admit they don't even follow the sport aren't people who "get it".

Comment

I see guys who are full time no-life fat white ufc fans hanging out in boxing forums on their spare time from hanging out in MMA forums.

Comment

Now lets get that phagot Canelo facing someone as strong as him(before the gaymon boys come in talking about how Golovkin should fight him at 155, phagots)
              Last edited by SplitSecond; 03-06-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised by all the butt-hurt McGregor fans on here. You guys really wanted to believe the hype

He got stunned by a guy not known for his power and couldn't cope, and then he goes for a takedown of all things lol. It doesn't bode well for his future fights now that he isn't picking on midgets anymore.

Comment

Everyone needs to calm the **** down with this UFC ****. Vargas-Ali was far, FAR better than the two fights with the upsets.

Everyone right now is projecting their anger at boxing into love for UFC. But you mean to tell me those fights were aesthetically impressive? Sloppy-ass punches, Connor getting hit repeatedly by the slowest jab I've seen in my life? Fights being won by someone being seemingly strangled until they make a signal with their hand admitting they would like to breathe?

The entertainment value came from the shock value. A guy like Connor who was talking smack and looking impressive in boxing would never lose to an opponent with 11 days notice. Both he and Holm had huge hype. But the thing about UFC is (and I say this as someone who has limited knowledge) is that it looks like it burns its fighters out quick. There are so many ways to lose and it doesn't look like it can create a truly great fighter who can avoid defeat for too long. So everyone or later gets their ass beat.

I know that sounds like the Holy Grail - non stop competitive fights where a favourite gets beat - but I prefer to watch a master of their craft rising above everyone else, figuring out how to win each time, becoming smarter as their physical gifts diminish and they have to rely on their IQ more. People like to watch greatness emerge.

Not someone who can dominate and then have a fighter leap onto them and strangle them until they give up. WTF is that?

Comment

Originally posted by El-blanco View Post
                    Those two fights tonight were better than anything boxing has done in years. I know mcgregor lost tonight but it actually proved how much better ufc is than boxing. He took a huge risk and lost but it was intense. Boxers cry over 2 pounds. Boxing is full of ****.
                    ironically wasn't it Nate's jab movement and final round ''punch'' striking that staggered McGregor for Diaz's win? welcome to boxing!

Comment

It's not about being burnt out or that mma is so versatility that you have more ways of losing...it's more to do with empty hype.

Both McGregor and Rousey are good fighters but their marketing push was based on their pro-wrestling like characters that noobs embraced. McGregor beating Mendes and Aldo was impressive but if you really look at the circumstances of those fights you didn't get a complete answer as to how good he is, and bottom line, if you talk so much trash you better back it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X