Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My dad always says that Duran would have beaten Hearns if he trained properly. Agree?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Golovkin
    Anybody who knows the history of this sport, and that includes me and 4 other people in this forum, know that Duran LOST more than 40 pounds for the rematch. He was very high off that first win and the money he made off the first fight. He was taking drugs, eating good and partying.

He wasn't prepared at all for a rematch but the money was so good that he took it and killed himself just to make the fight happen, this is well documented. He really didnt want the rematch at the moment but they pushed him for it with a lot of money.

Duran's indiscipline and immaturity cost him the rematch. Even Leonard himself knows something was wrong with Duran that night.
    This is what happens when you cant read people

Comment

No, it was not being out of shape that made him unable to reach Hearns. Unable to take the punishment. That was a situation where two men had equal talent, but one was much bigger, stronger, and faster.

Comment

Originally posted by BigNuts View Post
        My dads opinion of this fight always stays the same after countless years have passed. He believes that if Duran would have trained properly with a proper game plan, got into better shape and came ready to fight, he would have beaten Hearns. His opinion has not changed.

Does he have a point? He is a huge Duran fan btw.
        Your father is right.

Duran was in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic (i grew up in the DR) singing salsa on TV with his band and that was a few weeks before the fight.

He was overweighted and drinking like a madman in the DR at the time.

And it was literally a few weeks before the fight.

Comment

No doubt he has well above his best weight and the size dimensions between the two were insane.

Along with duran being past prime and somewhat of an alcoholic at the time. He fought more so with his natural skill and pride .

Comment

Originally posted by Razcal26 View Post
            EVERY Hardcore Duran fan has that opinion on EVERY fight he lost.
            This.

Countdown to the 'Duran of Montreal' spiel in 5.......4......3......

Comment

You can say that about any fight ever. **** happens, Duran lost.

Comment

From what I've read, Duran saw how Hearns lost to Leonard and thought he would be an easy win. These were in Duran's partying years and he didn't take it seriously and he damn sure paid the price in the only fight he ever got KTFO in.

In proper shape and taking Hearns seriously, I see Duran doing much better and not getting caught early. With Hearns' extraordinary advantages in height and reach, I'm not sure Duran beats him, unless he can get right in on him. I can't count him out because when Duran beat Barkley, that was a David and Goliath fight through and through. If Duran could close the gap, he makes it close and possibly picks up the win.

Pound for pound, I definitely favor Duran over the Hitman, but size advantages do matter in boxing. They are not everything, but they are a factor and when a guy is so much naturally bigger then his opponent, the opponent simply has an uphill battle regardless of skill.

Comment

My dads opinion of this fight always stays the same after countless years have passed. He believes that if Duran would have trained properly with a proper game plan, got into better shape and came ready to fight, he would have beaten Hearns. His opinion has not changed.

He could have won but was caught with his hands down early in round 2 had the fight went over 12 rounds I'm sure Duran stops Hearns . Heants had wobbly legs after 12 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by Luilun View Post
                    He could have won but was caught with his hands down early in round 2 had the fight went over 12 rounds I'm sure Duran stops Hearns . Heants had wobbly legs after 12 rounds
                    You must have missed what happened in round one. You're so dumb that it's funny

Comment

No, as great as Duran was, Hearns has too many physical advantages and was a great fighter also

Comment

Working...
                      X