No announcement yet.

Robbie Lawler: Mayweather wouldn't last 2 minutes with any top UFC fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
    My question is, why don't you see these guys try to say they could be a boxer at their own sport? Why always try to push for boxers to come to UFC. Is it because most UFC fighters lack great standup.

Ironic though because Robbie is a 170lber, why isn't he bring up Kovalev?
    Because Kovalev would KRUSH him!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
      My question is, why don't you see these guys try to say they could be a boxer at their own sport? Why always try to push for boxers to come to UFC. Is it because most UFC fighters lack great standup.

Ironic though because Robbie is a 170lber, why isn't he bring up Kovalev?
      Exactly. Singling out one martial art and saying 'if it was possible to do more to you in a fight, you'd lose' is so stupid it is unreal.

Thing is, there is probably some kickboxing champion who is great in his chosen martial art, that would lose should he enter MMA. Like wise with people great at just Judo, or just wrestling. The fact that someone is great at their one chosen martial art, like Floyd is with boxing, takes away nothing just because someone from a different game says 'if they faced another martial art they'd lose'.

MMA. People need to think about what it stands for, including some of the guys in there. Mixed Martial Arts, meaning a collection of fighting styles and each fighter is free to use whichever approach they want in a fight...So with that in mind, how stupid is it to say 'if we could kick/grapple/submit a boxer he would lose'?

Boxing is boxing, like Judo is Judo etc...These MMA guys often think they can beat or be better than athletes who are dedicated to one art just because they train some aspects of several of them, and it simply doesn't work that way.

EDIT: And for the record I do not mind watching some MMA now and again and even follow the UFC a little bit, I just hate this whole crossover debate.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
        UFC is a joke. Fake martial arts.
        personally I always looked at UFC as a place for.....

a) former high school and college wrestlers who wanted to make doe off their skills also Olympic level Judo fighters

b)fighters who know they cant make it in boxing, kick boxing, muay thai or any major martial art combat sport

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
          Pug,
          There is this UFC fighter in the gym who is underfeated in 2 fights but prior to that his record as an amatuer boxer was wins: 0 lose: 4...
          hmmmmmm

Comment

[QUOTE=sugar ray lenrd;16391709]
            Originally posted by New England View Post
            toney vs couture was in an octagon.

James Toney??? Please...He was washed up & over the hill, can't even talk straight. Now try a James Toney in his prime. A lot of the UFC fights end up in sensational ko's...ever wonder why?...They are not well versed & prepare & some can't even fight...

he fought a washed up and over the hill guy in MMA and got his ass kicked. . the guy he fought was knocked out and retired in his next fight. he was in his late 40's. he's 52 now. 5 years older than toney...

you can not know what you're talking about, and it's fine. just don't act like you know what you're talking about. you should actually watch the fight, for starters

Comment

And any UFC fighter wouldn't land a punch on Mayweather in a boxing match. People need to let it go, these are two WAY different combat sports

Comment

I like watching Lawler fight, He's a bad dude.

He's right of course in what he's saying. But so is the notion of a UFC fighting being in a boxing ring with Mayweather. It would go down the same.

I'm not sure why this is an on-going debate. Both are completely different sports, requiring different skill sets.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
                  Believe that if you will, I trained in the same gym with him for 1.5 years and watched him get injections in his ass cheak on a nearly daily basis (as were 90% of people in the gym). Everyone in mma especially ufc are on something it's only the real dumb ones who get caught, every one in the industry knows this.
                  Whats your real name then dude? Because I trained in the same gym for real for several years and am still good friends with a lot of guys down there and never saw any instances you describe from anybody, let alone 90% of the gym. if you were there so often, Surely we trained together or least ran into eachother?

Comment

[QUOTE=New England;16391802]
                    Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post

he fought a washed up and over the hill guy in MMA and got his ass kicked. . the guy he fought was knocked out and retired in his next fight. he was in his late 40's. he's 52 now. 5 years older than toney...

you can not know what you're talking about, and it's fine. just don't act like you know what you're talking about. you should actually watch the fight, for starters
                    I know nothing about ultimate fighting but he can't have been as far gone as Toney surely? I thought they said he was the champion or something?

I did stay up and watch that whole card at a friends. That's the only one I've ever watched. What an embarrassment.

Comment

[QUOTE=IronDanHamza;16391815]
                      Originally posted by New England View Post

I know nothing about ultimate fighting but he can't have been as far gone as Toney surely? I thought they said he was the champion or something?

I did stay up and watch that whole card at a friends. That's the only one I've ever watched. What an embarrassment.
                      he was probably just as bad as James at that time and was definitely not the champ. he lost the belt years prior, hence his next fight being his last fight ever.
                      At that point in his career, Couture was just fighting other over the hill fighters until they matched him with a younger/closer to prime Machida and got sparked out.

Comment

Working...
                      X