No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fox Sports, PBC Reveal Details of Multi-Year Agreement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
    Dude we all work, we all have kids, we all have responsibilities of some kind. SO you get something you like on a Tuesday, this is how boxers like Roy, BHop and Floyd and others eventually got to HBO-they blew up on Tuesday night fights when thy couldn't get spots on bigger Saturday shows.

Must be a generational difference between you and I because before they announced this I was hoping something like this would come back.

I'm just surprised a boxing fan doesn't seem interested in this at all. Is what it is.
    Where did I say that?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
      Or..... they can call Al Haymon and tell him they want to feature their fighters on his PBC cards
      That's not possible. Haymon is not going to let non-sham promoters (i.e. promoters with fighters actually under contract) use PBC, because that's keeping them alive, which would also make time-buy strategy illogical. He wants to shut them out until he's the only player left - at that point he can sign every fighter to promotional agreement with lower salaries, drop the advisor role and demand big bucks from TV networks: UFC of boxing.

The ONLY fighters who will benefit from this are those who fight now whilee PBC is burning big bucks on the loss-leader strategy for a couple of years. If it works, no fighter will have enough leverage to ask for fair compensation.
      Last edited by bickenback; 08-04-2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
        So the people you work with are too ****** to use google or a channel guide. Sounds like a real high profile job.
        It's Al Haymons job to capture the interest of fans and public in general so that they can tune in the way Dana White did with UFC.

Nobody wants to investigate what to watch. If they see advertisement for something that captures their interests they will tune in. PBC is still in its infant stage and needs to capture more than just the interest of diehard fans.

Or it could just be that outside of the names like Floyd and Pacquiao, many people just dont care about the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          I'll give u an example....

My coworker is a boxing fan. Not diehard but will tune in when he hears of a good matchup. I just asked him if he's going to tune into the next PBC fight. His response..."Who/what is PBC". I told him its a new boxing promotion headed by Al Haymon. His response..."Who's Al Haymon". I told him that he's the head of PBC and is the one who put on last Saturdays card. He asked "well what channel are these PBC fights on". I told him he can catch them on either "espn, nbc, cbs, spike, BounceTV, foxsports1" He gave me an utter look of confusion.

Point I'm trying to make is, us fans who follow the sport and frequent sites such as this can easily follow what fights are on. For someone like my co-worker who isnt as diehard as us here, it'll be hard for him to follow with such a broad array of channels, times, dates. This goes for any show. Take the most popular show on tv right now and keep switching what channel its on in addition to which day of the week they show it and at what time. Guarantee you viewership will fall like a rock!

Tuesday night fights is a move in the right direction. Now he needs to implement the same strategy for a network like ESPN.
          College Football comes on like 17 different stations. This is not a television series like Breaking Bad which comes on one network.

It's on what 4-5 networks now.

Comment

I'll give u an example....

My coworker is a boxing fan. Not diehard but will tune in when he hears of a good matchup. I just asked him if he's going to tune into the next PBC fight. His response..."Who/what is PBC". I told him its a new boxing promotion headed by Al Haymon. His response..."Who's Al Haymon". I told him that he's the head of PBC and is the one who put on last Saturdays card. He asked "well what channel are these PBC fights on". I told him he can catch them on either "espn, nbc, cbs, spike, BounceTV, foxsports1" He gave me an utter look of confusion.

Point I'm trying to make is, us fans who follow the sport and frequent sites such as this can easily follow what fights are on. For someone like my co-worker who isnt as diehard as us here, it'll be hard for him to follow with such a broad array of channels, times, dates. This goes for any show. Take the most popular show on tv right now and keep switching what channel its on in addition to which day of the week they show it and at what time. Guarantee you viewership will fall like a rock!

Tuesday night fights is a move in the right direction. Now he needs to implement the same strategy for a network like ESPN.
            ok, this is 1 person dude. You don't kill something because 1 person can't find it. The problem is you are treating PBC like it's Scandal. I treat it as any sport-I find the sport no matter what channel it's on.

Besides, we are in the digital age of TV/cable. you type boxing in and every show comes up. I mean a ****ing monkey can literally find pbc in 90 seconds.

My guess is for now he has to keep time buys because (you wouldn't answer yesterday when I asked you) ESPN will not be able to give prime time once college football, NFL, NCAA and NBA get started as they have other commitments.

I mean really dude, how much effort does it take to find boxing on cable/directTV/AppleTV in 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
              College Football comes on like 17 different stations. This is not a television series like Breaking Bad which comes on one network.

It's on what 4-5 networks now.
              College football has a rabid fanbase that boxing doesnt have. Cant compare the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
                Trout/Hernandez is the equivalent of GGG/Lemieux and we don't have to pay for it.
                LMFAO, you are delusional if you really believe that. Or brainwashed.

Comment

It's Al Haymons job to capture the interest of fans and public in general so that they can tune in the way Dana White did with UFC.

Nobody wants to investigate what to watch. If they see advertisement for something that captures their interests they will tune in. PBC is still in its infant stage and needs to capture more than just the interest of diehard fans.

Or it could just be that outside of the names like Floyd and Pacquiao, many people just dont care about the sport.
                  this what I said yesterday-the issue is advertising, not channel switching. If they advertise it you will know the channel.

I mean this isn't the Flintstones where changing the channel means you face having a pterodactyl eat your hand. Just type in BOXI and then the damn cable guide will guess boxing and show every boxing show.

FFS, is that really that hard?

Comment

College football has a rabid fanbase that boxing doesnt have. Cant compare the 2.
                    You're not gonna get a fanbase by just keeping it on one network for one day a week.

What if I can't watch TV on Friday? But I can catch it Tuesday. I can't watch a Sat night event, but can watch a Sat afternoon show?

Comment

Haymon should do some time-buys in the UK, he'd probably actually get some advertisers on board.

Comment

Working...
                      X