No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Measured Against All Time: Carl Froch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    the BWAA is an american association. most of the writers are american, and write in english.

the bulk of great fighters have been american. the bulk of the great fights have taken place here.

carl froch is a supremely overrated fighter. very good, but nowhere near great. he fought one great fighter, and you saw what it looked like. he also lost to kessler. those were the two biggest fights of his career.
    i kind of agree with you, but doesn't that also reflect somewhat badly on your boy ward? i mean the froch win is the feather in his cap at the moment...

Comment

Let's face facts here. He won a Lonsdale belt out-right & was ignored by the EBU + the 1st Kessler fight was buggered due do a volcano for him. Froch was never a home town fighter like some US pre-Madonna's, so respect, were it's due please!

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
        i kind of agree with you, but doesn't that also reflect somewhat badly on your boy ward? i mean the froch win is the feather in his cap at the moment...

my boy ward

go read my andre ward / gennady golovkin posts. i'm really not biased. i rile brits up, but that's easy.

he's the better fighter than carl froch, and i recognize that. SMW is a very weak division historically, and ward's resume does put him somewhere near the top of it.

a win over carl froch does not make you a great fighter. it helps, as he was one of the better SMW of one of the best eras ever at the weight, but it's not just a carl froch win that jmade andre ward. you have to look at the entirety of his run, and his abilities as a fighter, to call him a great. he hasn't lost since he was 12 years old, according to virgil hunter.

i do have his picture as my avatar, so there is that!

oddly enough, i haven't had siggies and avvies turned on in years, and i can't even remember who the other guys are. i think i put manny up there after marquez planked him. i thought he was going to retire.

my boy pacquiao!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
          Let's face facts here. He won a Lonsdale belt out-right & was ignored by the EBU + the 1st Kessler fight was buggered due do a volcano for him. Froch was never a home town fighter like some US pre-Madonna's, so respect, were it's due please!

atlantic city isn't much further from oakland than it is from nottingham.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            he's the better fighter than carl froch, and i recognize that. SMW is a very weak division historically, and ward's resume does put him somewhere near the top of it.

a win over carl froch does not make you a great fighter. it helps, as he was one of the better SMW of one of the best eras ever at the weight, but it's not just a carl froch win that jmade andre ward. you have to look at the entirety of his run, and his abilities as a fighter, to call him a great. he hasn't lost since he was 12 years old, according to virgil hunter.
            if ward were to retire today, he would probably be inducted into the ibhof, right? do you think he still would be if he hadn't fought and beaten froch? i mean his pro reputation largely rests on that couplet of wins over froch and kessler - who are each other's equals, to my mind - yet, as you said, those two fighters are essentially 'b level' fighters (both having been soundly beaten whenever they stepped up to 'a level' fighters like ward and calzaghe). so does ward's pro resume actually justify his reputation?

the 'your boy' comment was meant flippantly, i actually enjoy your posts when you aren't being a megalomaniac

Comment

Froch never beat a Hall of Fame fighter should have lost to Dirrell and never rematched Ward and he was the second best fighter in his division. But he will be in the Hall of Fame in five or so years.

Comment

In response to one part of the article, Froch very openly and very often called out Ward after their first fight and this continued till the Kessler rematch, after which froch stopped. About the same time Ward went into limbo.

Ward, on at least two separate occasions on British TV said "I'll only fight Froch in the US" and then said "Froch ain't even calling me out". Those are paper thin excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                  In response to one part of the article, Froch very openly and very often called out Ward after their first fight and this continued till the Kessler rematch, after which froch stopped. About the same time Ward went into limbo.

Ward, on at least two separate occasions on British TV said "I'll only fight Froch in the US" and then said "Froch ain't even calling me out". Those are paper thin excuses.
                  Excuses? Ward easily beat Froch so why and the hell would he need to make excuses about a second fight?

Comment

Froch better career than Calzaghe

Calzaghe would have never got in the Super 6 tournament. It would be too much risk and fighting a badly faded Roy Jones who almost knocked him out and an old Hopkins who also almost knocked him out in the first round to me proves he was vastly overrated and merely waited out talent till it was over the hill or in decline. Calzaghe 0 means nothing compared to Froch's record.

Comment

What I will remember about Carl Froch is how he ran his mouth in the months preceding his announced retirement. And no, I don't believe that Carl Froch belongs in the boxing hall of fame. BoxRec.com disagrees, but regardless, I doubt that I'll ever change my mind. This excerpt of the Froch/Dirrell fight sticks: "In round twelve, Dirrell was warned by the referee for hitting Froch behind the head, when in fact it was Froch that had just hit Dirrell behind the head. Without the point deduction, the bout would have been closer. Most of these rounds were quiet defensive gems, causing the crowd to boo the lack of action at the end of every round." And this was at Trent FM Arena, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom. No wonder Andre Ward refused to fight in Nottingham.

Comment

Working...
                      X