No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes says he can still beat Wladimir Klitschko although he's age 65

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xhiddenx87 View Post
    WTF happens with these retired boxers, they are trying hard to get back in the ring!

they spend their careers sustaining brain damage, and then they stop making money in their 30's and 40's.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      lots of people, including ring magazine, gave wladimir recognition as the "lineal" champion when he beat chagaev. they had to make a special exception, because the second best HW was vitali, and the brothers were not going to fight.
      Whatever "lots of people" do or whatever the Ring Magazine does means less than squat where boxing history and tradition is concerned. What had the Klitschko sisters ever done to earn a "special exception" to 100 years of established boxing tradition and history? That doesn't even make sense...

under a vacant lineage, you have a box off between the two top fighters in the diviison to reestablish lineage. in this case, lineage was vacated by vitali when he retired because of injury. the fight between the top two guys couldn't take place, so wladimir and chagaev boxed for the vacant ring belt.
      Two problems here. First, the Ring Magazine does *not* determine who is or who isn't the champion in any given division. Second, Vitali was *active* AND the WBC champion when Wlad and Chagaev fought. There is NO WAY IN HELL the Wlad Chageav contest was a fight to fill the LINEAL vacancy. Stop with the revisionist history.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
        Your'e talking prime Holmes, but are you talking Wlad pre or post Emanuel Steward? Makes a difference.

it wouldn't affect the outcome of the fight, if that's what you're implying.

pre-steward wladimir probably doesn't last six rounds. post-steward wladimir would still get hurt and stopped eventually, but he might last longer.

Comment

I think a prime Holmes dominates Klitschko but post 40 Holmes might have lost. Now, no way he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
            Whatever "lots of people" do or whatever the Ring Magazine does means less than squat where boxing history and tradition is concerned. What had the Klitschko sisters ever done to earn a "special exception" to 100 years of established boxing tradition and history? That doesn't even make sense...

Two problems here. First, the Ring Magazine does *not* determine who is or who isn't the champion in any given division. Second, Vitali was *active* AND the WBC champion when Wlad and Chagaev fought. There is NO WAY IN HELL the Wlad Chageav contest was a fight to fill the LINEAL vacancy. Stop with the revisionist history.

i started to legitimately have a laugh when i read the bold! you know nothing about the history of ring magazine, and its esteem in boxing! nothing!

my chronology of the klitschko lineage is not revisionist history in the least. i've been a fan of boxing for a long time. i lived through wladimir's entire career. longer htan you, bty the sound of it.

"lineage" and the ring magazine title were virtually one and the same for several decades. read up on it if you do not believe me. ring was not always owned by goldenboy. a panel of writers, the most qualified in the world for several decades, ran ring's ranking and championship systems. there was no better system of ranking a fighter!

ring mag made an exception for lineage at HW at the time because of the brotherhood of the klitschkos. they were never going to fight. they allowed a box of for the vacant lineage between the #1 and the #3 ranked fighters [contenders] at HW. vitali was #2, but he was not available to fight wladimir, the #1 ranked contender.

boxing writers were credited with keeping score in boxing matches for several generations. have you ever heard of a "newspaper decision?"

you should read up on all of this if you think i'm making it up. you clearly don't know what you are talking about.
            Last edited by New England; 08-10-2015, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I should watch Holmes-McCall, he was 45 in that fight. Also Holmes-Nielsen, where he was 47, but I believe that one was a robbery.

Comment

i started to legitimately have a laugh when i read the bold! you know nothing about the history of ring magazine, and its esteem in boxing! nothing!
                The Ring Magazine's esteem dissipated a LONG time ago. Today, it is merely the tool of a near bankrupt promotional outfit.

my chronology of the klitschko lineage is not revisionist history in the least.
                Yeah, it is. Vitali was ACTIVE and the #2 HW in the world when Wlad and Chageav fought, Genius.

i've been a fan of boxing for a long time. i lived through wladimir's entire career. longer htan you, bty the sound of it.
                LOL.

Am I supposed to be impressed?

I was a boxing fan during the prime Tyson years. I was right there to witness the RISE and the FALL. Where were you? Still sucking you mom's ****?

"lineage" and the ring magazine title were virtually one and the same for several decades.
                That was THEN, this is NOW.

ring was not always owned by goldenboy.
                But it is NOW. Let's stay up to date and not revise history.

a panel of writers, the most qualified in the world for several decades, ran ring's ranking and championship systems. there was no better system of ranking a fighter!
                That was THEN, this is NOW.

ring mag made an exception for lineage at HW at the time because of the brotherhood of the klitschkos.
                The Ring Magazine, or more appropriately, Golden Boy Promotions, does NOT decide who is or who isn't champion in a given division.

they were never going to fight. they allowed a box of for the vacant lineage between the #1 and the #3 ranked fighters [contenders] at HW. vitali was #2, but he was not available to fight wladimir, the #1 ranked contender.
                The Ring Magazine, or more appropriately, Golden Boy Promotions, does NOT decide who is or who isn't champion in a given division.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                  Also Holmes-Nielsen, where he was 47, but I believe that one was a robbery.
                  Also, Butterbean was robbed against Holmes.

Comment

it wouldn't affect the outcome of the fight, if that's what you're implying.

pre-steward wladimir probably doesn't last six rounds. post-steward wladimir would still get hurt and stopped eventually, but he might last longer.
                    Holmes was a boxer-puncher, not a KO artist, so I doubt he would have taken pre-Steward Klitschko out in less than 6. He may have won a decision though. I'm sure that he couldn't have overcome Wlad's use of height, reach & honed skill post-Steward, in which case he would have lost the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by SUBZER0ED View Post
                      Holmes was a boxer-puncher, not a KO artist, so I doubt he would have taken pre-Steward Klitschko out in less than 6. He may have won a decision though. I'm sure that he couldn't have overcome Wlad's use of height, reach & honed skill post-Steward, in which case he would have lost the decision.

holmes had a lot of power. this isn't welterweight. guys with bad chins are going to go down when they're taking punches from a big guy.

on the height and reach; wladimir is 2-3 inches taller. they have identical reach.

on the skill

during his championship run he had half a dozen KOs in the first half of the fight. that's counting the seventh round in many of those fights because they went 15 rounds.

he's not going 12 rounds with larry holmes when he can't go five with lamon brewster.

Comment

Working...
                      X