Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is being margarito tough a dying breed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose fighters like Floyd have some influence over young guys getting into boxing.

They see all his money, cars etc...and they probably try to emulate him even in the ring because they think thats the way forward.

You even have guys like Broner (even Berto tried) doing things like the shoulder roll and defend like Floyd when the reality it is probably doesn't suit them and it's not really that natural to them. The fighters that will rise to the top are the ones who fight naturally and with a style that fits them, it just so happens Floyd's style was perfect for his physical gifts but it won't work for most.

Comment

Health comes first.

Comment

It's not healthy to be brave sometimes.. It is refreshing to see a genuinely tough man go out and do the business though. Maybe a lot of kids are just to soft nowadays? I dunno. I'd like to know where the Henry Whartons and Ross Purittys of the world went.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
          I suppose fighters like Floyd have some influence over young guys getting into boxing.

They see all his money, cars etc...and they probably try to emulate him even in the ring because they think thats the way forward.

You even have guys like Broner (even Berto tried) doing things like the shoulder roll and defend like Floyd when the reality it is probably doesn't suit them and it's not really that natural to them. The fighters that will rise to the top are the ones who fight naturally and with a style that fits them, it just so happens Floyd's style was perfect for his physical gifts but it won't work for most.
          The problem with these kids is that they're looking at Floyd as Money Mayweather rather than Floyd as the Pretty Boy. They should be looking at that Floyd because that was Floyd at his absolute peak when he was a defensive master as well as an offensive juggernaut. When Floyd fought Corrales and Gatti it was like Floyd had a cheat code. And one other thing, you can't emulate an athlete in the ring if you do not train like him out of the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by PorterIsFuture View Post
            Provodnikov is like him. Herrera also is. Cheating Salido.
            Tim Bradley, Matthysse, Maidana, Rios, Marquez, Froch (he gets a mention 'cause he's still really recent and sure I missed some guys, too)....plenty of tough mfkrs in boxing. Tough guys aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Plenty of tough kids out there on their way up, too. We just don't know their names yet, but we will...
            Last edited by lefthook2daliva; 07-16-2015, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
              Where is all the provodnikovs and margaritos and hattons at .

Is it a dying breed.

Every gym i enter all kids fat slow skinny goofy slick quick tall short
              mexican asian russian black white american
              is sparring like they wanna be the next mayweather.. no tough styles
              no boxer punchers.. these kids all wanna fight just like floyd. These young pros as well.
              Im like wtf ,style doesnt suit them but still.
              Many will fail too cause fighting like Floyd requires cat like reflexes and many don't have just ask Berto and Broner how it worked out for them when they wanted to fight like Floyd. This happened also in the 70's when many wanted to fight like Ali and many failed as well

Comment

margarito is blind in one eye because of that style. it's a testament to his chin and conditioning that he isn't eating through a straw already.

you don't teach a kid how to fight like that. if he turns professional and makes the decision as a grown man to fight like that, you let him.

antonio margarito has the best chin i've ever seen on any fighter. all that means is that i've seen him take hellish punishment without going down. it's not a great thing on its own.

i have a hard time appreciating anyting about margarito other than his chin. i'll never forgive he and capetillo for what they did to miguel cotto, kermit cintron, and others.

Comment

Billy Miske was told by doctors he only had a few months to live. He was too sick to train but he still stepped into the ring and knocked his opponent out in 4 rounds less than two months before his death so his family could have money for Christmas presents. Obviously guys haven't been as tough as since the 20's.

In all seriousness I think this is just another example of boxing fans complaining. There are plenty of tough fighters out there. We fans are a fickle bunch that are impossible to satisfy it seems.

Comment

Fighters are just realizing they don't need to use their chins as defense. They discovered this thing called movement and it helps prolong your career

Comment

Margarito was not tough, he was a cheater. Turn out to be pretty ****ty without the plaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X