Thoughts on Anthony Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TIMELESS View Post
    This!

100% agree, if he stops Kingpin which i know he will, it will send shock waves around the world of heavyweight boxing, especially in the US, and even more so if he really bangs Kingpin out within 6!
    HA, it won't send shock waves, Johnson is totally irrelevant.

Comment

Just a big, rubbish version of Frank Bruno.

It sends no statement to anybody if he stops Johnson. I don't care if he hasn't been stopped before the guy has nothing to keep anybody off of him, he is static, old and has been getting banged up by a whole heap of journeymen these days. He got dropped hard by Derek Chisora who frankly is the lightest hitting HW out there. Safe to say your punch resistance has gone when Chisora drops you like that, HW division or not.
      Joshua is supposed to stop him. I'd be truly disappointed if he never.

Will he win a world title? Probably, nothing really stopping any good sized HW who can box a little winning one any more. I think Joseph Parker is the better prospect.
      He moves better, a better jab, better combination puncher, better punch selection, faster hand & foot and has head movement. He is also a good few years younger & fought at a much higher level.
      He is the only HW prospect that has anything these days the rest are poor merely thriving in a cesspit.
      Last edited by dan_cov; 05-28-2015, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I only needed less then a minute to see what this guys guys going to do to the HW division after Wlad leaves ,he will dominate easy from what ive seen ,hes good enough now to beat everyone whos name is not Klitchko right now ,he will be a better version of Lewis if he stays focused .

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          That's true.

Joshua's chin is completely untested.

I heard Wilder got dropped quite often in the Amatuers though. Don't know if that's true.
          As a fan of wilder yes he was dropped in the ams and once in the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            wilder had around 15 fights when he started the qualifying process for the olympics. won the american golden gloves in those first 15 fights or so.

he started boxing after he had a little girl with health problems. prior to that, he was a collegiate basketball prospect at a major american uni.

there's video of him getting put down once, iirc.

his amateur wasn't long enough to establish a poor chin and a run to the olympics [with a national GG championship in a non olympic year to boot.]

that notion is the product of brits / euroes being scared of american talent
            wilder's chin looks fine.
            Well like you said Stiverne cracked him good and Wilder took them well.

And Stiverne can punch.

So if nothing else that's a good sign.

His legs are so damn skinny though

Comment

Fans said all of this about Price, in fact they was even more high on him they was claiming he could potentially beat a prime Wladimir.

Even in this dead division there are levels. Johnson these days isn't even a gatekeeper at this point, he is totally done. He got beaten soundly by that total scrub Tyson Fury took as a stay busy fight. That guy isn't even a gatekeeper.

Don't be so quick to say this guy is taking over the division. He hasn't done anything many others haven't or couldn't, he has done nothing but fight canon fodder. Non durable journeymen who stand right in front of him.
              Its easy to look good against the opposition he has faced.
              Johnson could of probably made him look ordinary a good 5-6 years back but not now, he is a sparring partner who gets trampled on at domestic level. He only brings name value and a big mouth he can't back up.
              The guy hasn't even thrown a punch in half a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                Fans said all of this about Price, in fact they was even more high on him they was claiming he could potentially beat a prime Wladimir.

Even in this dead division there are levels. Johnson these days isn't even a gatekeeper at this point, he is totally done. He got beaten soundly by that total scrub Tyson Fury took as a stay busy fight. That guy isn't even a gatekeeper.

Don't be so quick to say this guy is taking over the division. He hasn't done anything many others haven't or couldn't, he has done nothing but fight canon fodder. Non durable journeymen who stand right in front of him.
                Its easy to look good against the opposition he has faced.
                Johnson could of probably made him look ordinary a good 5-6 years back but not now, he is a sparring partner who gets trampled on at domestic level. He only brings name value and a big mouth he can't back up.
                The guy hasn't even thrown a punch in half a decade.
                I will hold my hands up (in shame) and say that I was one of the people who believed in David Price.

I really thought he had potential to take over the division. 2FAST told me he was a big stiff idiot but I didn't want to listen.

Seriously though, how bad does your chin have to be to get KO'd in one GRAZING punch by Tony Thompson in his 40's? Seriously? Then to get systematically battered in the rematch. That's just bad.

For me though, Price has a lot more power than Joshua. A better jab too.

Also, don't ever refer to 2FAST Fury as a scrub ever again. He's the slickest operator we've seen since D-MAC.

Comment

I will hold my hands up (in shame) and say that I was one of the people who believed in David Price.

I really thought he had potential to take over the division. 2FAST told me he was a big stiff idiot but I didn't want to listen.

Seriously though, how bad does your chin have to be to get KO'd in one GRAZING punch by Tony Thompson in his 40's? Seriously? Then to get systematically battered in the rematch. That's just bad.

Also, don't ever refer to 2FAST Fury as a scrub ever again. He's the slickest operator we've seen since D-MAC.

I believed he was decent until Skelton bumrushed him. I just couldn't get that out of my mind and I found it hugely shocking he said he never expected it?
                  You didn't expect Matt Skelton to come out and try rough you up?
                  Its a shame I do like him especially as a person. Then again I love the vulnerability factor that goes along with him. He is so vulnerable yet has a sledgehammer right hand.

I meant he got beaten soundly by that total scrub that Tyson Fury took as a stay busy fight. I word things so badly on here, I'd never imply Fury was a scrub. 6ft9, 250lbs & slicker than an oil spill

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
                    I agree, i think it's one of his attributes you can clearly see he has improved upon throughout the start of his career. Especially his last two fights his jab has been thudding.
                    Yeah, it's clearly a weapon that has improved immensely since his debut. Joshua overall has improved heaps since his debut. Balance is a lot better and his shots are coming off much more naturally.

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    wilder's chin is more proven than joshua's.

he took some decent shots from stiverne and looked fine.
                    He's also had 3 times as many fights. Wilder was dropped by a 5'5 400 lbs emperor penguin looking guy. And in the ams he got clipped and did a baby giraffe dance.

He doesn't have a good chin at all.

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                    true can happen but can AJ withstand wilder's right hand?
                    Can anyone? Probably not. But can Wilder withstand Joshua's left or right? I don't think so either. Whoever lands first they say..

That's true.

Joshua's chin is completely untested.

I heard Wilder got dropped quite often in the Amatuers though. Don't know if that's true.
                    Yeah he got dropped and staggered all over the ring like a prime Amir Khan. that's what worries me. Joshua was dropped in the ams against Whyte, but he didn't do the stanky leg he got up quite quickly which shows me he has a better chin.

But of course, we don't know yet. But he looks like a guy who can take a better punch than Wilder imo.

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                    Just a big, rubbish version of Frank Bruno.

It sends no statement to anybody if he stops Johnson. I don't care if he hasn't been stopped before the guy has nothing to keep anybody off of him, he is static, old and has been getting banged up by a whole heap of journeymen these days. He got dropped hard by Derek Chisora who frankly is the lightest hitting HW out there. Safe to say your punch resistance has gone when Chisora drops you like that, HW division or not.
                    Joshua is supposed to stop him. I'd be truly disappointed if he never.

Will he win a world title? Probably, nothing really stopping any good sized HW who can box a little winning one any more. I think Joseph Parker is the better prospect.
                    He moves better, a better jab, better combination puncher, better punch selection, faster hand & foot and has head movement. He is also a good few years younger & fought at a much higher level.
                    He is the only HW prospect that has anything these days the rest are poor merely thriving in a cesspit.
                    I think that's very harsh on joshua. He's big and bulky so naturally he'll get that comparison, but he's improving quite rapidly imo. He's shown me great process since his debut and good punch variety - his left hook is really being shot nicely now.

Hughie Fury is more talented than both Parker and Joshua imo. Parker is good - but I don't think he'd beat Joshua or Fury right now.

Lol me too. Price doesn't have a better jab than Joshua - come on. It's not even on the same level in my opinion.

His right hand though is deadly - it's up there with Klitschko's.

Comment

his size is saving him imo, Ill reserve the right to judge later when he finally faces someone who can throw back.

Comment

Working...
                      X