Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on Anthony Joshua?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think he's all that great. He's obviously a physical beast but has holes in boxing and is a bit stiff with all that muscle mass. With Klitschko presumably retiring by the time Joshua is ready to challenge for a title and the division overall being pretty weak, he can become the star of the division

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Future champion. Would smash Wilder the chinless piece of sht to bits tomorrow if they fought.

wilder's chin is more proven than joshua's.

he took some decent shots from stiverne and looked fine.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        Future champion. Would smash Wilder the chinless piece of sht to bits tomorrow if they fought.
        true can happen but can AJ withstand wilder's right hand?

Comment

I think he looks pretty good, but with big punching heavyweights its always pretty hard to say until they step up. I think it looks at this stage that he has all the makings of a world champion, but for me personally he is not the same level of past great heavyweights in terms of skills and I don't think people should get carried away with comparisons, he has been compared to Lewis, but for me he is closer in terms of ability to Bruno, just bigger. I think the last top heavyweight with world class skills was Lennox Lewis, and Joshua is no Lennox Lewis. You only have to watch and compare Joshua's career thus far with Lennox when he was at a similar level to see the difference in speed, skills, agility, punch variety, just everything.

He could dominate the division though the same way Wlad has, using superior athletic ability, technique, and using his size to his advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
            waiting for his fight vs johnson... very interesting if he stops him imo.
            This!

100% agree, if he stops Kingpin which i know he will, it will send shock waves around the world of heavyweight boxing, especially in the US, and even more so if he really bangs Kingpin out within 6!

Comment

Originally posted by Caught Square View Post
              Very good so far but i wouldn't expect him to struggle with his opponents.

Johnson is a good test for some rounds but i want to see him fight someone his own size with power like David Price for example. If he can look good against someone like that then i would be totally sold.
              This is a good post.

Totally agree with the size comment.

Comment

I'm not sold on him.

Potential is obviously there but he looks abit stiff to me, will be easier to tell when he steps up his competiton.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  wilder's chin is more proven than joshua's.

he took some decent shots from stiverne and looked fine.
                  That's true.

Joshua's chin is completely untested.

I heard Wilder got dropped quite often in the Amatuers though. Don't know if that's true.

Comment

Just like all sublime looking prospects I have to see how he faces adversity. Can he take a clean shot? Can he adjust if he is losing some rounds? Questions that still remain to be answered.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      That's true.

Joshua's chin is completely untested.

I heard Wilder got dropped quite often in the Amatuers though. Don't know if that's true.

wilder had around 15 fights when he started the qualifying process for the olympics. won the american golden gloves in those first 15 fights or so.

he started boxing after he had a little girl with health problems. prior to that, he was a collegiate basketball prospect at a major american uni.

there's video of him getting put down once, iirc.

his amateur wasn't long enough to establish a poor chin and a run to the olympics [with a national GG championship in a non olympic year to boot.]

that notion is the product of brits / euroes being scared of american talent
                      wilder's chin looks fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X