Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighters you knew were gonna be big when you first saw them.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double_m_g_ View Post
    (And like no one else did. Or atleast not as many people.) Kovalev is one for me. While everyone was complaining he can't box, I had seen him box and he looked quite well. The dude can box. And along with his monstrous power. I knew he'd be the face of that division.

Another one who I thought was a real threat to Klitschko from the moment I first saw him just due to his raw athleticsm and toughness alone was Bryant Jennings, and sure enough he's now getting his title shot.
    Relavively recent times from the 80s on:

Juann Ma!

Ricardo Mayorga

Ike presidente Ibuchi

Andre Ward

Tommy Morrison

Ike Quartey

And lately

Andy Ruiz

I know I know.... We often assume we know don't we? But fate is a cruel mistress.... I often look to Nando, a fighter who was brought along well, seemed to have the right team behind him.... And a few bad choices took himfrom elite to very good, leaving him ultimately as a gatekeeper who never could get past the top rung.

Comment

cassius clay

Comment

Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
        I wasn't impressed with Kovalev initially. However, after watching him manhandle Hopkins (even at his advanced age) and Pascal, I now believe that he is a great fighter. I believe he will KO Stevenson if they fight. However, I still think he will lose to Andre Ward if Ward fights him in the next 1.5 years while Ward is still in his prime.

I believe he would have been better off with a European promoter who tried to build a reputation for him in his home country the way the Klithscko brothers and Ricky Hatton did and the way some other European fighters are doing now. If he has done that, he would be raking in millions per fight fighting in front of hometown crowds.
        I don't think Ward wants to fight or ever will fight Kovalev. I doubt he would beat him, he'd be giving up a lot of size and power against a skilled fighter. Pretty pointless fight to even bring up since Ward shot down the matchup already.

Sergey wanted out of Russia since he felt he got a raw deal in the amateurs. Maybe it took him a little longer to start off his career in the US, but it's worked for him in the end. Fighting on HBO, 3 major belts, making good money now - what else does he need?

Comment

Mike Tyson - first televised fight in mid eighties
          Lucas Matthysse
          Errol Spence

Wasn't sure about Kov, but glad he proved me wrong! simple style with genuine power and determination.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
            Floyd mayweather.

I remember when he was the best fighter in the world that nobody knew.
            He is now the worst example in the world that everybody knows.

Comment

Bradley, Martinez, Canelo, Crawford, Walters

Comment

Originally posted by Double_m_g_ View Post
                (And like no one else did. Or atleast not as many people.) Kovalev is one for me. While everyone was complaining he can't box, I had seen him box and he looked quite well. The dude can box. And along with his monstrous power. I knew he'd be the face of that division.

Another one who I thought was a real threat to Klitschko from the moment I first saw him just due to his raw athleticsm and toughness alone was Bryant Jennings, and sure enough he's now getting his title shot.
                jennings is a threat? ok.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  Bradley, Martinez, Canelo, Crawford, Walters
                  all these guys were touted as top fighters by everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Tay Roc View Post
                    cassius clay
                    I was still swimming in my dad's sack but great to watch even now

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Rubber View Post
                      Mike Tyson - first televised fight in mid eighties
                      Lucas Matthysse
                      Errol Spence

Wasn't sure about Kov, but glad he proved me wrong! simple style with genuine power and determination.

solid beard on kovelpoop, too, by the look of things. pascal hit him with a bomb, and after his head went back and his eyes rolled around, he looked right back at pascal and kept boxing. that';s a strong LHW and an explosive puncher, and the poop just kept boxing.

i like his long term prospects, i just wish these russians weren't 30 by the time they made it to the bigtime as pros.

as for dudes i thought would make waves who went under the radar, i'd like to mention kelly pavlik. his debut was on youtube for a while, but the account was banned. he was a teenager on FNF, and he punched like a mule behind a jab. he was built like a grown man, and had a pro style out of the box.

i knew he'd at least make it to big, exciting fights on TV. didn't think he'd win the lineal MW title, but it's really no surprise, considering the chin, power, and size at MW.

Comment

Working...
                      X