No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Cotto Beats Down Martinez, Makes History at MSG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MRCHOKEaMF View Post
    Yeah how do they fix their minds up to say such bs, Cintron?, Pavlik?, these people dont pay attention to the actual art of Boxing, and what it takes, and Cotto has what it takes to beat any of them out there. He beat Mosley when Mosley was still a stud. Hell mosley could beat those guys. After Cotto becomes the FIRST pr to be a 4 division champion (which should say alot) by beating and I mean BEATING the Lineal champ. He's taken on all challengers, you would figure people would like a champion like him but People wanna talk him down. Its a shame. Let me make them even madder HAIL KING COTTO. LOL
    Because Cotto had just been outboxed by Austin Trout and appeared to be on the downslide. Cotto looked like he was 22 out there last night, not 33. That Cotto I would favor against almost any fighter....that was the best Cotto performance I have ever seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingFan82 View Post
      There will be a ton of people saying the knee and age didn't have any impact on the fight, but how many of those people can credibly speak about engaging in competitive athletic activity? I would venture a guess that the vast majority of keyboard warriors here would struggle to run let alone walk a 5K tomorrow if their life depended on it, but they sure seem to know a lot about the human body.

Sergio Martinez is almost 40 years old. He has had two right knee surgeries, and a surgery on his ankle. For many athletes, a single knee surgery is effectively a career-ender. Sergio's comments about his second surgery indicate that the extent of the injuries to his knee were very serious (he wasn't just dealing with a partially torn meniscus). If he wasn't a champion, I suspect those around him would have more firmly suggested that he consider retirement. Instead, he chose to push his body to its breaking point.

Bottom line: it's not an excuse to say that Martinez's injuries and age (which are related) caught up with him last night. That's a reality most fighters eventually face. Martinez lost to a great champion who deserves credit regardless of the circumstances under which he won, but that doesn't mean that you can pretend the circumstances were different than they actually were.
      Best argument of this type so far, no doubt at all! Well said. And I agree...I played basketball when I was in college and tore my ACL and meniscus....it was surgically repaired by shaving my patellar tendon and using that to create a new ACL....I will admit I had to change my game to remain competitive and have no problem saying that when Martinez was rocked and pushed like he was tonight, he had to try something different but the problem is he couldn't. Martinez didn't have a contingency, he has always relied on athleticism, and he could have relied on that still tonight if he didn't get hurt so many times and have to put all his weight on that leg just to stay upright....that's why I say what I do about the fight....but still, best overall argument PERIOD, no doubt, on this subject...well done

Comment

• Originally posted by mathed View Post
        Because Cotto had just been outboxed by Austin Trout and appeared to be on the downslide. Cotto looked like he was 22 out there last night, not 33. That Cotto I would favor against almost any fighter....that was the best Cotto performance I have ever seen.
        Ummmmmm...those other boxers were YEARS ago....way way way before Trout......so, your argument doesn't make sense....we were talking about when Citron, P Will, and Pavlik were relevant....which they no longer are....basically minimum 5-6 years ago.....so, Im confused

Comment

• Originally posted by MRCHOKEaMF View Post
          I was terribly wrong, and as a man...rare please. lol
          LOL....well played sir....

Comment

• Originally posted by skillz321 View Post
            I like the argument, it does make sense, no doubt about it. I just don't see him using Cotto to get it. I could see him doing it with someone else, but why take thnce against someone you know has a chance and you have already beaten? I definitely get your point though, and I would be all for it!!
            Pick'ns are getting slim for Floyd. Floyd his couple choices. Deal with the evils he knows (Cotto, Canelo, Maidana.) Go ahead and do the Manny fight. Or, test his luck against a couple hungry young lions (Porter, Thurman) that are coming for his ass. Of the options above. The least desirable has to be the last. Floyd don't want no part of either of those young cats. The others basically comes down to risk/reward. And in the moment. A Cotto fight may do more for his legacy than the Manny fight with the middleweight chip on the line. Plus, it may make just as much or more money. And, Arum doesn't have to be involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by hitking View Post
              Pick'ns are getting slim for Floyd. Floyd his couple choices. Deal with the evils he knows (Cotto, Canelo, Maidana.) Go ahead and do the Manny fight. Or, test his luck against a couple hungry young lions (Porter, Thurman) that are coming for his ass. Of the options above. The least desirable has to be the last. Floyd don't want no part of either of those young cats. The others basically comes down to risk/reward. And in the moment. A Cotto fight may do more for his legacy than the Manny fight with the middleweight chip on the line. Plus, it may make just as much or more money. And, Arum doesn't have to be involved.
              You're completely right, he doesn't have many choices anymore...especially ones that are beneficial. Can't agree with you on the young boys though, Floyd would pick them apart with precision...they may be hungry, but they don't have the talent. So as you said, and I'm starting to lean your way on this, Cotto may be the fight to take...Pac just doesn't have the flavor or meaning anymore, plus Mayweather would pick him apart, IMO....just due to the fact that Manny still hasn't learned how to box properly and relies on that straight left way way way too much, just like Cotto was relying in headshots way way way too much about 2 years ago.....so, I will say it, you are right, for legacy and monetary purposes....Cotto might be the guy!

Comment

Cotto fighting Canelo Lara winner next..

Comment

• Cotto shocked the s**t outta me last night i knew sergio was finished but i thought the weight would be too much but damn!!!!!!
                  One of cottos best performances of his career good s**t cotto an sorry for doubtin u an THANK U FOR PROOVEIN TO THESE FANS SERGIO AINT ****!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Sergio's knee was fine as it was when he lost to Margarito a decade ago. His chin has always been there, flirting with fists...Teasing. Last night, his chin betrayed the hype and he was caught with a monster hook. He knows it, Cotto knows it, and the world knows it. Seconds into the bout, his chin was exposed by a man who was NOT just Chavez's son, but rather, a Puerto Rican pugilist. A man born to fight as opposed to a man born to a fighter. Learn today.

Comment

Lamply's **** sucking Roach was disgusting last night was disgusting. I can understand the d1ckridin' of DLH back in the day and more recently Manny because they were keeping bread in his stomach. But he gave Roach more credit for last night than he gave Cotto. That f.uck **** he said about "how good would Cotto have been had he trained with Roach his whole career" damn near made me earl
                      Agree with that, When Lampley said that it made me cringe.

[QUOTE=skillz321;14641994]You're completely right, he doesn't have many choices anymore...especially ones that are beneficial. Can't agree with you on the young boys though, Floyd would pick them apart with precision...they may be hungry, but they don't have the talent. So as you said, and I'm starting to lean your way on this, Cotto may be the fight to take...Pac just doesn't have the flavor or meaning anymore, plus Mayweather would pick him apart, IMO....just due to the fact that Manny still hasn't learned how to box properly and relies on that straight left way way way too much, just like Cotto was relying in headshots way way way too much about 2 years ago.....so, I will say it, you are right, for legacy and monetary purposes....Cotto might be the

,You need to post more, Not agreeing with everything your typing but its good to read a decent opinion

you, HiTking, chokeamf are all killing this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X