Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Haymon be forced to work with Oscar De La Hoya and HBO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whirlout View Post
    Understand boxing first before u make borderline idiotic comments. Things in theory as not that easy in practice. If promotion was easy to get establish, don't you think that avenue would have been explored by him already. Besides, Haymon cannot form a promotional company unless he relinquishes his role as a manager to the fighters. That is why there is the Muhammad Ali act in place which kind brings up a concern whether Haymon has indeed been doing underground promoting if it is true that most of his fighters are not signed to Golden Boy. That would be very bad for him once the powers that be gets involved.
    Many of his fighters are indeed signed to Golden Boy. Only the misinformed actually believe most of them aren't signed to Golden Boy. A bunch of Haymon's fighters were FIRST signed to Golden Boy before even signing with him. This includes guys like Maidana, Malignaggi, Matthysse, Amir Khan, and others.

Comment

Floydspastics be crying up in here.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
        Many of his fighters are indeed signed to Golden Boy. Only the misinformed actually believe most of them aren't signed to Golden Boy. A bunch of Haymon's fighters were FIRST signed to Golden Boy before even signing with him. This includes guys like Maidana, Malignaggi, Matthysse, Amir Khan, and others.
        That insider dude Glaser said there's under 25 guys actually signed to GBP so take that for what you will.

I'm suspicious of all the fighters Haymon "advises." Most of those guys already have managers (Maidana, Peterson, Lara, etc.) so I'd guess that's the pseudo-promo company they're with and Schaefer might have been facilitating this letting them fight on GBP without contracts. Some sort of tacit agreement to provide insurance for all the work he did while Oscar was screwed up.

It's all speculation at the moment but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out and how it affects the sport

Comment

Originally posted by wiz1030 View Post
          That insider dude Glaser said there's under 25 guys actually signed to GBP so take that for what you will.

I'm suspicious of all the fighters Haymon "advises." Most of those guys already have managers (Maidana, Peterson, Lara, etc.) so I'd guess that's the pseudo-promo company they're with and Schaefer might have been facilitating this letting them fight on GBP without contracts. Some sort of tacit agreement to provide insurance for all the work he did while Oscar was screwed up.

It's all speculation at the moment but it'll be interesting to see how it plays out and how it affects the sport
          That insider dude is a joke and has an extensive history of being a joke.

Again, many of the fighters Haymon advises were originally signed to Golden Boy, way before Haymon even came into the picture. There's only a few fighters where Haymon had them from the beginning or early on. Robert Guerrero recently signed up with Haymon too, and everyone knows he's been signed with Golden Boy for quite some time now.

Guerrero just went through a failed lawsuit where he tried to break out of his contract with Golden Boy. But I guess that was all fake too right?

Comment

I think its against the Ali Act for a manager to be a promoter. Richard Shaefer would have to start up his own promotion company but only an idiot would sign with that bond villian over established promoters like Top Rank and GBP

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
              I think its against the Ali Act for a manager to be a promoter. Richard Shaefer would have to start up his own promotion company but only an idiot would sign with that bond villian over established promoters like Top Rank and GBP
              Yeah, Haymon would need some sort of promotional company to be attached to or he would be in full on violation of the Ali Act.

Does 'Mayweather Promotions' have a promoter's license yet? If so then that would be the first port of call you'd imagine. But financing would be a big issue. Haymon couldn't just pour his own money into it as that makes him an owner and as such a promoter. He'd be back to square one.

Is Floyd willing to pump big time money into signing and promoting fighters? I guess we could be about to find out.

Comment

Good thread weeb! Lots of info in here that I didn't know about.

From the outside looking in, my hope is that Oscar regains control of his company and starts ruling it in accordance with his original thoughts of having a company that takes care of it's fighters. Whether that means a future with or without Schaefer, who without a doubt has been instrumental in building GBP, I dont know.

My second hope is that this shakeup leads to more of the fights we as fans want to see. I personally dont give a **** whether the fighters are signed to this or that yank promotor. Just make the damn fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
                  It's costs a lot to run a major promotional company, I read figures like $6 million a year, and it's generally a high risk business. Speculating, but I genuinely don't think FMJ cares enough to get in that deep with promoting to risk the money he earned fighting.
                  Schaefer is well experienced to run such a company, with all his relationships and connections "He is GoldenBoy Promotions."

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Yeah, but they are also signed with gbp... Fighters can be signed to both as one is a manager and one is a promoter..
                    No the only Haymon fighter actually signed to GBP is Robert Guerrero and thats because he signed a extension in 2012 before he was Haymon credit. he made sure none of his clients signed a exclusive contract other than Floyd with Showtime/CBS.

Comment

Originally posted by [T][B][E] View Post
                      Schaefer is well experienced to run such a company, with all his relationships and connections "He is GoldenBoy Promotions."
                      Schaefer is actually just a company employee, who may well be getting fired. In terms of relationships and connections, other promoters don't speak highly of him, accusing Golden Boy under him of running a closed shop. His connections appear to extend as far as Haymon and Espinoza.

There is a lot of talk about Schaefer doing a great job but rumour has it that the company hasn't made a profit in years with investors now unhappy, it is said to be one of the principal reasons Oscar is wresting back control.

Moreover, Schaefer has all but severed GBP's working relationship with boxing's biggest broadcaster HBO, in favour of going along with Haymon's scheme of moving all the fighters to Showtime, even to the extent where free agents are being allowed to fight on GBP cards. I think he had a misplaced faith in Haymon to the detriment of his own employers, which some are calling a breach of fiduciary duty.

Bottom line, if Schaefer was such an asset GBP wouldn't be having issues with him and Oscar wouldn't be saying things like "I can find another Schaefer". Sounds more like a liability.
                      Last edited by Weebler I; 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X