Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When scoring a fight, are people only looking for clean punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My view was always you use "ring generalship", defense and aggression as a means to stage an attack land clean effective punches. I think they are all tied together.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      But if you're getting hit more, you're not controlling anything. So unless the number of punches getting landed is close, who cares where the fight is being fought?
      where the fight is fought often dictates who is doing the throwing and who isn't. It isn't often is the guy who is stalking is also winning the fight in the middle of the ring because he isn't throwing while stalking.

Fighters that cut off the ring and work their opponents to the corner tend to throw and land more once they get the opponent in the corner. walking down becomes part of the offensive strategy and dictates what both fighters do if successful.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
        No. Scoring a fight isn't the same thing as judging a fighters performance. You do that afterwards. During the fight, I look at effective aggression, punches landed, ring generalship. Most clean punches landed>harder punches landed.
        So you seriously dont care if a fighter makes another fighter miss punches by one move to the left, a duck, or a hop back?

Comment

I would hope not,there is so much more to scoring a fight then just that..I mean when someone is landing clean punches clearly,ok..Sometimes tho it's not as clean cut as that..Like a rd where guy's are landing a similar amount of punches and it's seem's even you have to start to look at other things..Like who does the pace favor and who's controlling the rd..Landing punches is the main thing,but not the B all end all..I guess is what I mean..

Comment

An even more important distinction is to score the rounds and not the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post
              Does ANYONE use defense, effective aggression, and ring generalship when scoring a round and fight? I dont want to pin point one fight, but the fight that sticks in my head is Manny/Bradley. I remember watching the fight the first time and feeling Manny won pretty easily, but on 2nd look the fight was much closer than first appeared. And this was based off ring generalship and defense mainly.

So when you are scoring a fight, are you looking at ANYTHING else besides the punches that landed?
              Only noobs scored that fight for Bradley.

And yes, clean punches IS NOT the only thing to look for. Defence plays part, as does the abstract idea of "ring generalship" but also activity, aggression and the ability to hurt an opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
                I would hope not,there is so much more to scoring a fight then just that..I mean when someone is landing clean punches clearly,ok..Sometimes tho it's not as clean cut as that..Like a rd where guy's are landing a similar amount of punches and it's seem's even you have to start to look at other things..Like who does the pace favor and who's controlling the rd..Landing punches is the main thing,but not the B all end all..I guess is what I mean..
                Great points. I usually try to score a round in minute intervals (and even if someone only wins one minute but does far more in that minute, I can give them the round). It just seems to be so many variables that play a role into scoring the round as opposed to just looking for a punch to land. For instance, Floyd can win alot of rounds based solely off ring generalship and defense (yes his clean punches do alot of work though).

Comment

Originally posted by WilkinsOlajuwon View Post
                  Bro thats exactly what effective aggression is...
                  there's no effective about landing at a 10% rate missing alot punches means nothing in my eyes. If I hit you more than you hit me no way did I lose unless I kept getting dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                    3 clean successive jabs to the face vs one big clean right hand.

Who is winning?
                    The jab guy

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      Only noobs scored that fight for Bradley.

And yes, clean punches IS NOT the only thing to look for. Defence plays part, as does the abstract idea of "ring generalship" but also activity, aggression and the ability to hurt an opponent.
                      What does that even mean, "only noobs scored the fight for bradley." I brought that fight up cause I thought of ring generalship and defense which Bradley controlled. Neither had effective aggression and the clean punches was minimal. The cleanest punches I remember was Bradley's jab to Manny's stomach.

Comment

Working...
                      X