Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When scoring a fight, are people only looking for clean punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post
    Does ANYONE use defense, effective aggression, and ring generalship when scoring a round and fight? I dont want to pin point one fight, but the fight that sticks in my head is Manny/Bradley. I remember watching the fight the first time and feeling Manny won pretty easily, but on 2nd look the fight was much closer than first appeared. And this was based off ring generalship and defense mainly.

So when you are scoring a fight, are you looking at ANYTHING else besides the punches that landed?
    The problem with rewatching a fight is you start looking for reasons to give rounds to another boxer. The first time watching is going to be generally your real opinion of the fight.

With that said to me its simple. Who would I rather be after the round. I look at damage and how clean the shots are. I dont care if you land 10 flicking jabs that graze off the glove and barely land. If the other guy lands a huge left that knocks your head back, the guy who landed the big punch is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Owlzfan84 View Post
      The problem with rewatching a fight is you start looking for reasons to give rounds to another boxer. The first time watching is going to be generally your real opinion of the fight.

With that said to me its simple. Who would I rather be after the round. I look at damage and how clean the shots are. I dont care if you land 10 flicking jabs that graze off the glove and barely land. If the other guy lands a huge left that knocks your head back, the guy who landed the big punch is winning.
      Im going to have to disagree with you on that. Too many factors play a role in watching the fight live. If it is a "big event" then there is a great chance I will have beer and liquor flowing so im not fully engaged of every second of the fight. I will inevitably miss some key parts of each round, so re-watching it is not to try and find rounds to give to a fighter, but to watch it more of a sober state. I know you are referring to Bradley/Manny when you speak of watching it to give rounds to someone, but with such a "controversal" decision its like a given to rewatch it.

So 10 landed punches compared to one, and you give it to the one punch?

Comment

So you seriously dont care if a fighter makes another fighter miss punches by one move to the left, a duck, or a hop back?
        NO. If I were to judge his performance afterwards I'll take it into consideration, but I'm not gonna give the other guy points for not having shots landed on him. Like, I said, the way I score a round is by most clean shots landed, effective aggression, and ringmanship.

EDIT: Here's an example, let's say Floyd was fighting Chavez SR and Floyd made him miss a lot during the round, didn't let his hands go and only landed 20 or so punches. SR was stalking him the entire round so he outlanded him by 10 punches. Who would you give the round to? Floyd cause he landed 20 punches and made him miss or SR cause he was relentless and landed more? I would give it to SR.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
          NO. If I were to judge his performance afterwards I'll take it into consideration, but I'm not gonna give the other guy points for not having shots landed on him. Like, I said, the way I score a round is by most clean shots landed, effective aggression, and ringmanship.

EDIT: Here's an example, let's say Floyd was fighting Chavez SR and Floyd made him miss a lot during the round, didn't let his hands go and only landed 20 or so punches. SR was stalking him the entire round so he outlanded him by 10 punches. Who would you give the round to? Floyd cause he landed 20 punches and made him miss or SR cause he was relentless and landed more? I would give it to SR.
          Your example is based off aggression. We were discussing defense more so. So with everything being equal (Floyd lands 5 more punches, yet caused SR to miss an extra 20) with both fighters landing the same type of punches, you would not factor in the fact that those 20 punches missed was caused by good defense?

Comment

Your example is based off aggression. We were discussing defense more so. So with everything being equal (Floyd lands 5 more punches, yet caused SR to miss an extra 20) with both fighters landing the same type of punches, you would not factor in the fact that those 20 punches missed was caused by good defense?
            Then he would win the round.

Comment

the other criteria are a means to an end.

you score the round for the more effective puncher.

Comment

I guess 5 is too big a number. How about 1 or 2?

Comment

Well there is no situation where you personally would factor in defense?

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™
                    Defense plays a part but you cant win with defense, you can only stop the other guy from scoring.

If you do nothing but block punches the entire round and dont throw anything back, youre not going to win anything.
                    Ye, that's what I'm saying, there are a number of factors.

Then again, Pep did once win a round without throwing a single punch.

Comment

Working...
                    X