Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When scoring a fight, are people only looking for clean punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When scoring a fight, are people only looking for clean punches?

Does ANYONE use defense, effective aggression, and ring generalship when scoring a round and fight? I dont want to pin point one fight, but the fight that sticks in my head is Manny/Bradley. I remember watching the fight the first time and feeling Manny won pretty easily, but on 2nd look the fight was much closer than first appeared. And this was based off ring generalship and defense mainly.

So when you are scoring a fight, are you looking at ANYTHING else besides the punches that landed?

Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post
    Does ANYONE use defense, effective aggression, and ring generalship when scoring a round and fight? I dont want to pin point one fight, but the fight that sticks in my head is Manny/Bradley. I remember watching the fight the first time and feeling Manny won pretty easily, but on 2nd look the fight was much closer than first appeared. And this was based off ring generalship and defense mainly.

So when you are scoring a fight, are you looking at ANYTHING else besides the punches that landed?
    Most judges, especially old ones, just look at what direction each fighter is moving in.

Clean punching is definitely the primary criteria.

Comment

Defense has everything to do with who landed more punches, I don't see how that's a criteria to begin with, the guy with better defense doesn't get hit with as many punches, which goes back to who landed more.

Fights should be scored on who is landing the bigger number of clean, effective punches. Only if that criteria is close should you consider who was controlling the round, whose pace the round was fought at, stuff like that.

Comment

Effective agression needs to go; I don't care if you threw 115 punches but only landed 13 of them that's not being effective. No way do I give a guy a rd if he got outlanded 35 to 14 but he landed to clean shots at the end of the rd.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
          Effective agression needs to go; I don't care if you threw 115 punches but only landed 13 of them that's not being effective. No way do I give a guy a rd if he got outlanded 35 to 14 but he landed to clean shots at the end of the rd.
          Bro thats exactly what effective aggression is...

Comment

"Effective aggression" - a fighter who's coming forward, throwing punches - some landing cleanly, some not. A fighter who is dictating the pace and pushing the other fighter back.

Sometimes a fighter will be coming forward, throwing a lot of punches but not landing cleanly but the other is being overly defensive and occasionally 'sharp shooting' with counter punches. In this instance, I look at the activity of both the fighters and if the guy coming forward throwing punches is more active than the guy who threw the clean, but few, counter punches - then I score it for the aggressor.

A lot of judges scores fights this way. Frequently, if watch you FNFS, Teddy Atlas will score the round for the counter puncher - even if the guy only throws, and lands, half a dozen punches or so. And when the judges scorecards are tallied, his scorecard is usually at odds with theirs'
            Last edited by BostonGuy; 01-09-2014, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I try to look at everything. Clean punching should be the emphasis but controlling where the fight is fought (center of ring vs the corners) and the ability to reduce your opponents punch output thus limiting the number of times you are hit are also important.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                I try to look at everything. Clean punching should be the emphasis but controlling where the fight is fought (center of ring vs the corners) and the ability to reduce your opponents punch output thus limiting the number of times you are hit are also important.
                But if you're getting hit more, you're not controlling anything. So unless the number of punches getting landed is close, who cares where the fight is being fought?

Comment

It's all about effective punches landed

Comment

Originally posted by smoothsmg View Post

No. Scoring a fight isn't the same thing as judging a fighters performance. You do that afterwards. During the fight, I look at effective aggression, punches landed, ring generalship. Most clean punches landed>harder punches landed.

Comment

Working...
                    X