Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So far I've listed 12 fighters. Here they are in order of most top 10 fighters faced.

Joe Louis 19
    Evander Holyfield 18
    Floyd Patterson 16
    Larry Holmes 15
    Lennox Lewis 14
    Mike Tyson 12
    Primo Carnera 12
    George Foreman 11
    Sonny Liston 10
    Wladimir Klitschko 10

Rocky Marciano 9
    Vittles Klitschko 6

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      So far I've listed 12 fighters. Here they are in order of most top 10 fighters faced.

Joe Louis 19
      Evander Holyfield 18
      Floyd Patterson 16
      Larry Holmes 15
      Lennox Lewis 14
      Mike Tyson 12
      Primo Carnera 12
      George Foreman 11
      Sonny Liston 10
      Wladimir Klitschko 10

Rocky Marciano 9
      Vittles Klitschko 6
      Haven't counted them, but think Joe Frazier fought a good number of top 10s as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
        Haven't counted them, but think Joe Frazier fought a good number of top 10s as well.

Frazier fought 12 top 10 rated opponents. They were Bonavena, Chuvalo, Ramos, Bonavena, Quarry, Ali, Foreman, Bugner, Ali, Quarry, Ali and Foreman again.

Comment

• List redone with the addition of Joe Frazier.

Joe Louis 19
          Evander Holyfield 18
          Floyd Patterson 16
          Larry Holmes 15
          Lennox Lewis 14
          Joe Frazier 12
          Mike Tyson 12
          Primo Carnera 12
          George Foreman 11
          Sonny Liston 10

Wladimir Klitschko 10
          Rocky Marciano 9
          Vittles Klitschko 6

Comment

Frazier fought 12 top 10 rated opponents. They were Bonavena, Chuvalo, Ramos, Bonavena, Quarry, Ali, Foreman, Bugner, Ali, Quarry, Ali and Foreman again.
            That's about a third of Frazier's total bouts. An absurd percentage when you think about it.

Comment

• The best heavyweights of this generation would, for the most part, beat their counterparts of past generations. Cris Arreola would pound Tony Galento into the canvas. David Haye would smoke Max Schmeling. Vitali and Wladimir would knock Louis around the ring like a rag doll.

You can argue numbers all you like, and if you want a historical analysis for why so-an-so should be ranked higher than today's fighters then knock yourself out. You're straight up lying if you are saying that yesterday's fighters were actually better, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankSucketts View Post
                The best heavyweights of this generation would, for the most part, beat their counterparts of past generations. Cris Arreola would pound Tony Galento into the canvas. David Haye would smoke Max Schmeling. Vitali and Wladimir would knock Louis around the ring like a rag doll.

You can argue numbers all you like, and if you want a historical analysis for why so-an-so should be ranked higher than today's fighters then knock yourself out. You're straight up lying if you are saying that yesterday's fighters were actually better, though.
                What are you basing these fantasy opinions on? Not that it really matters concerning this thread. The depth of an era relies on who fights who, not who you think may or may not win across era's. I've shown contenders and champions fight less often against one another today more than any other era in history that I've analyzed, and I specifically used three (Holmes, Tyson and Louis) who's era's are considered weak. If their era's were weak, what does that make today's era? This isn't about individuals, but what their era's are composed of.

Ps - Joe Louis smokes anyone not named Ali, and he may even beaten him.

Comment

• Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  That's about a third of Frazier's total bouts. An absurd percentage when you think about it.

Even more so when you consider 5 of those fights were against two top 10 ATG's. And mind you, this is using the Rings annual rankings. There might possibly have been more that would have shown up in monthly rankings.

Comment

What are you basing these fantasy opinions on? Not that it really matters concerning this thread. The depth of an era relies on who fights who, not who you think may or may not win across era's. I've shown contenders and champions fight less often against one another today more than any other era in history that I've analyzed, and I specifically used three (Holmes, Tyson and Louis) who's era's are considered weak. If their era's were weak, what does that make today's era? This isn't about individuals, but what their era's are composed of.

Ps - Lennox Lewis smokes everyone, including Ali
                    Corrected this for you...

Comment

• Originally posted by yoz View Post
                      Corrected this for you...
                      Ironically I rank Lewis #2 all time h2h...behind Ali.

Comment

Working...
                      X