Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breaking down this heavyweight era and others: Why today stinks!!

So we've had this conversation a million times. I'm adamant todays era sucks because fighters don't fight one another and the champion (and his titlist brother) do not often enough fight the best fighters. so I've done a little research and selected the Klits and 3 fighters who people say their era was weak. Now lets remember, ANY fighter can only fight who's there to fight, I've never blamed either brother for that. Now, head to head means nothing in this thread, it doesn't prove anything because its just a fantasy fight.

So, for the purpose of this thread I've used The Ring's annual rankings. Some ranked contenders may have been missed because rhese are year end rankings, but it's an even playing field for each fighter. Feel free to check my work, I've already double checked it. How this works is I've taken each fighter and listed every top 10 fighter he has fought while being top 10 ranked himself. I did not use ABC champion such as Bruno for Tyson or Schultz foe Wlad because they were not ranked. The only exception I made was ranking Spinks a champion because he was in fact the lineal champ when he fought Tyson. I've used each contenders rank from The Ring and divided that number by number of contender. Champions naturally have a zero and you can figure out the rest.

Here we go!!

Vitaly Klitschko

Byrd 10 loss
    Lewis Champion loss
    Sanders 9
    Peter 8
    Arreola 6
    Adamek 3

6 top 10 fighters faced, average rank 6

Wladimir Klitschko

Byrd 10
    McCline 10
    Sanders 3 loss
    Brewster 10 loss
    Peter 9
    Ibragimov 9
    Chagaev 4
    Chambers 7
    Haye 2
    Povetkin 2

10 top 10 fighters faced, average rank 6.6

Mike Tyson

Berbick 7
    Thomas 5
    Tucker3
    Biggs 9
    Spinks Champion
    Williams 8
    Douglas 7
    Ruddock 4
    Ruddock 4
    Holyfield 1
    Holyfield champion loss
    Lewis champion loss

12 top 10 fighters faced, average rank 4.4

Joe Louis

Carnera 3
    Schmeling 1 Loss
    Ettore 9
    Pastor 9
    Braddock champion
    Farr 2
    Pastor 2
    Godoy 2
    Godoy 2
    B. Baer 7
    Simon 5
    Conn 1
    Nova 8
    Mauriello 1
    Walcott 3
    Walcott 1
    Charles champion loss
    Brion 7
    Marciano champion loss

19 top 10 fighters faced, average rank 3.6

Larry Holmes

Norton 2
    Evangelista 7
    Weaver 4
    Shavers 5
    Berbick 6
    L. Spinks 7
    Snipes 10
    Cooney 7
    Cobb 9
    Witherspoon 5
    Smith 9
    Williams 9
    Spinks champion loss
    Tyson champion loss
    Mercer 8

15 top 10 fighters faced, average rank 5.12

Make of this what you will, but the facts speak for themselves.

This era is weak, no arguments there.

Comment

You're just dead jealous because it's a time of European rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
        You're just dead jealous because it's a time of European rule.

I really don't care where a fighter is from as long as they're fun to watch. I'm just making a point. A point you obviously cannot refute.Today's era is WEAK!!
        Last edited by JAB5239; 12-05-2013, 04:17 AM.

Comment

The idea that today's heavyweight era is 'weak' is bollocks. Champions don't become champions out of nothing, the title is not handed to them for free. Today's HW division is strong.

I know OP is not comfortable with the fact that the two headed dragon that is the HW champion is from an Eastern European country most Americans couldn't locate on the world map. It buggers him.

Many people also said the HW era was 'weak' when Larry Holmes, Joe Louis, Tyson, or even when Lewis dominated. Louis had his 'bum of the month club', remember? Lennox only became truly acknowledged as an ATG after he knocked out a much faded Tyson.

Point being, every champ Down history fought their share of 'bums'. The Klitschko's being no different. Doesn't mean this era is particularly weak compared to other eras.

The Klitschko's are dominating in their own fashion, just as past greats like Ali, Holmes, Louis, Jack Johnson, Tyson, etc. dominated in their own fashion. Each champion has his own way of dominating his era.

Boxing is never in a weak era. The best are always the best.

Comment

Today's era doesn't have much depth. Saying that, the 'contenders' are sitting on the shelf waiting for the champions to retire. Its pathetic, really. They all know Wladimir/Vitali are in a league of their own, so they're preserving their unbeaten records and waiting for a belt to be freed up.

Comment

This era in a nutshell lol

Comment

Nice research.

With this era its been bad but have you noticed its actually got even worse? Much worse!
                Somehow we went from Ibragimov, Chagaev, Haye, Chambers maybe even throw in a Dimitrienko and the likes.

Now we are left with Alex Leapai (Wlads mandatory *sigh*) Pulev, Arreola and then just an absolute load of useless rubbish.

Ibragimov, Chagaev, Haye, Chambers, Thompson, Peter I believe back-to-back and fans complained since we have had Pianeta, Mormeck, Wach, Thompson 2 & that sadly unforgettable stinker with Povetkin

I've always liked Wlad but the division is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
                  This era in a nutshell lol

Hmmm,

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                    The idea that today's heavyweight era is 'weak' is bollocks. Champions don't become champions out of nothing, the title is not handed to them for free. Today's HW division is strong.
                    No its not and I've proven this. My next task will be to break down contenders from this and different eras to see how many other contenders each fought. Do you really think the numbers from that won't reflect the numbers I've already proven?

I know OP is not comfortable with the fact that the two headed dragon that is the HW champion is from an Eastern European country most Americans couldn't locate on the world map. It buggers him.
                    Lol, you really are a fool!

Many people also said the HW era was 'weak' when Larry Holmes, Joe Louis, Tyson, or even when Lewis dominated. Louis had his 'bum of the month club', remember? Lennox only became truly acknowledged as an ATG after he knocked out a much faded Tyson.
                    I just showed you the numbers and Homes, Louis and Tyson ALL fought more top 10 fighters. Choosing to ignore it doesn't change the facts. And stop bringing up Louis' "bum of the month club", you don't even know what it was. 13 fights in just over 2 years, nearly half being ranked contenders. Thats as many ranked contenders Vits has fought his entire career. Lol, silly child...learn some boxing history.

Point being, every champ Down history fought their share of 'bums'. The Klitschko's being no different. Doesn't mean this era is particularly weak compared to other eras.
                    Yep, but it seems the Klits have fought far more. In fact I just proved it!

The Klitschko's are dominating in their own fashion, just as past greats like Ali, Holmes, Louis, Jack Johnson, Tyson, etc. dominated in their own fashion. Each champion has his own way of dominating his era.
                    Yep, your hero's do it by fighting weak comp and boring people to death!!

Boxing is never in a weak era. The best are always the best.
                    Sure, but the best aren't always fighting the best as I shown you.

Comment

Working...
                    X