Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vid: Ellerbe claims an article on BoxingScene is what made the fight a Catchweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by junior gong View Post
    I'm wondering if boxing has ever had such a greasy, slimy bunch of lying toerags as the Mayweather team. They shame the sport on an almost daily basis.
    LOOL that's true, May has done more harm to the business of this sport than any other fighter. Not because he's some devil as others claim but simply because of his in ring ideology. Fight the least risky fighter for the maximum reward. That's led to a generation of Adrien Broners and a generation of fans willing to support boxers getting in the ring with sub-par opponents and laughing when a legit boxer fights a legit opponent and loses.

I used to like pre-Oscar Floyd but now he is just a nuisance, I may be in the minority but I can't wait till he retires.

Comment

this is done to keep the hate for Floyd potent is all

Comment

Originally posted by crillz View Post
        this is done to keep the hate for Floyd potent is all
        We have another zelenoff.^^

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          Would you really? Bear in mind that this fighter has been bashing catchweights for years saying stuff like he considered Cotto for undefeated etc.

This is hypocrisy at its finest.
          So what? Hypocrisy is incredibly evident in all areas of boxing. It just gets highlighted to a gross extent when it's Floyd. Honestly couldn't care less about what weight it's at.

Nobody put a gun to Canelo's head (at least I don't think so) to force the fight. He could have just said he wanted it at 154. Does anybody really think Floyd would pass up $40m for 2 measly pounds?

Comment

I guess we should be indirectly thanking Manny Pacquiao for this catchweight fight, because it was his reluctance to Accept 40 million and fight Floyd on May 4th of last year, that prompted camp of Canelo to make The catch weight request. I mean who needed 6 months to heal from a cut, and whose promoter claimed he needed to erect a stadium on the strip just to promote the fight?

Thanks Manny for your poor decision making, because you may have just created the highest grossing PPV fight of all time...

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-cane...ther-jr--47305

Comment

LOL. Makes me want to troll Mayweather threads just on the off chance I say something that really pisses Ellerbe off.

Comment

I don't think Floyd asked for a CW, but I do think as Ellerbe said, they took advantage of the situation that Canelo's team put him in by suggesting it.

Team Alvarez shouldn't have open their mouths and invite the opportunity, now we'll never know if Floyd would've asked for the CW, because Team Alvarez opened their yaps about the CW.

Comment

Originally posted by The Raw Dog View Post
                  I guess we should be indirectly thanking Manny Pacquiao for this catchweight fight, because it was his reluctance to Accept 40 million and fight Floyd on May 4th of last year, that prompted camp of Canelo to make The catch weight request. I mean who needed 6 months to heal from a cut, and whose promoter claimed he needed to erect a stadium on the strip just to promote the fight?

Thanks Manny for your poor decision making, because you may have just created the highest grossing PPV fight of all time...

http://www.boxingscene.com/team-cane...ther-jr--47305
                  Floyd doesnt do CW's, he would never do CW's etc. You were one of the dirty floydiot's crapping on Manny over CW's and now ya love em'!

Comment

Ok, this is meaty stuff.

First of all (as one previous poster rightly asked):

Where is the BoxingScene article to which Ellerbe refers? This is important. Is it even true that Canelo's management put out an article here on BoxingScene offering to fight at a catchweight, as Ellerbe alleges? I want that established first. Can someone post the link?

Secondly, I totally agree with BattlingNelson (and disagree with LacedUp) that even if the catchweight was offered, Team Mayweather should have refused it on principle, and to be consistent with the stand they had always taken in the past (against Pacquiao) that they were against catchweights. As BattlingNelson puts it: "Bear in mind that this fighter has been bashing catchweights for years saying stuff like he considered Cotto undefeated etc. This is hypocrisy at its finest." -- Exactly, BN.

No matter what spin Ellerbe tries to put on this, it clearly shows, IMO, a lack of honorableness within Floyd & Company (no big surprise there, I guess). I also feel it shows something less than full or supreme confidence on the part of Floyd & Company -- to jump on the CW (as Ellerbe even admits they did) when they had had nothing but criticism for Pacquiao for agreeing to the very same thing in the past. Bottom line for me: A FAIL FOR TEAM MAYWEATHER.
                    Last edited by Hop; 08-30-2013, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Ellerbe vs Floyd at a catchrub.

Comment

Working...
                      X