Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toughman > Cuban boxing school?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cubans get busy in the boxing ring that's all I got to say.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
      I'm not so sure about Donaire being a "tough man" but the facts remain that Donaire will continue to get dates on HBO while Rigo will beg on his knees for ESPN FNF dates
      Lmfao. So true.

Funny how they wanna **** on Donaire, but the dude has a huge fan base. Rigo on the other hand has like 5 fans, and they're all here on NSB.

****, even Timothy Bradley has more fans (6) than him.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Judging from a lot of posts here lately that's what the fans think. Since they prefer face first brawlers instead of schooled boxers.

And if you want to talk about boring fighters, how exciting was Donaire vs Narvaez? Or Donaire vs Mathebula? I remember the crowd booing during those. But HBO never turned their back on him because of it.
        Hyperbole great. Roberto Duran, JCC, Jung-Koo Chang, Masahiko Harada, Robinson, Barrera, Toney, McCallum the sweet science with guys who aren't scared to engage is what most prefer. Look at Marquez that's what people want from a skilled counter puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          if that was the case, we would be seeing more pinoy figters on hbo given they have plenty of ranked fighters..and they dont need to do pinoy pride events in PI just to get exposure ...hell there are more cubans fighting on espn and they only have 3 ranked fighters compared to philipine's 10( number 6 right now next to russia...
          youre just naming random fighters just to name em .. you have 5 ranked fighters total ..here's PI's : champions ...sabillo,casimero , nietes.. ranked fighters: nonito , pac ,cuello ,fuentes, melindo, villanueva,viloria , pagara...
          You've contradicted yourself, so it's hard to take your word on the subject. I don't really know the definitive answer, as I've never checked. What I do know is that there are only about fifty Cuban pros worldwide, some of which are older and inexperienced fighters. Of the tiny sample of our fighters in the pro ranks, a good percentage are ranked or doing well. Rigo is P4P; Gamboa was a champ; Abril is a champ; Lara is top ten; Hernandez is a champ. I don't think there's anyone else who's doing so well with so few. I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pigsfly View Post
            donaire has been booed multiple times......but he still had the backing power of the Filipino fans. really hbo could care less about a fighters style, as long as he has fans thats supporting him and spending money he could stink up the place for all they care.............hbo is in it for money. (don't believe the style BS) if you have fans and bringing in money they encourage you to stink up the place if you want...........fight how ever you want..............

at the end of the day it's greed.............
            This is very true, it's all about the money.

Comment

y'all stupid, every boxing fan wants Cubans to succeed... from Casamayor to Gamboa to Rigondo... cause Cuban boxing is so highly regarded and everyone coming from the Cuban amateur program gets a push from the networks because of that pedigree... it's up to Cuban boxers to make the most of that push.

y'all stupid if y'all think that people sh.itting on Cuban boxing... boxers from south America don't even get the kind of push Cubans get and here y'all muthafackers getting all bent out of shape

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                Judging from a lot of posts here lately that's what the fans think. Since they prefer face first brawlers instead of schooled boxers.

And if you want to talk about boring fighters, how exciting was Donaire vs Narvaez? Or Donaire vs Mathebula? I remember the crowd booing during those. But HBO never turned their back on him because of it.
                Donaire is a very good fighter and he has some pretty insane 1 punch KO's on his record. Yes there has been some snoozefests but was it really his fault? Narvaez didn't even want to fight.

Come on now. Stop being a hater.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  You've contradicted yourself, so it's hard to take your word on the subject. I don't really know the definitive answer, as I've never checked. What I do know is that there are only about fifty Cuban pros worldwide, some of which are older and inexperienced fighters. Of the tiny sample of our fighters in the pro ranks, a good percentage are ranked or doing well. Rigo is P4P; Gamboa was a champ; Abril is a champ; Lara is top ten; Hernandez is a champ. I don't think there's anyone else who's doing so well with so few. I'm happy.
                  i dont care if you take my word for it or not .. 5 is the right number according the latest rankings.. now that is good .. the reason why i brough up PI having more ranked fighters than cuba is becuase your boy damit seem to think pinoys get the special treatment from the media when truth is there are more cuban fighters fighting on the US networks than pinoys....

Comment

i dont care if you take my word for it or not .. 5 is the right number according the latest rankings.. now that is good .. the reason why i brough up PI having more ranked fighters than cuba is becuase your boy damit seem to think pinoys get the special treatment from the media when truth is there are more cuban fighters fighting on the US networks than pinoys....
                    My opinion: Cubans get a lot of consideration from sports programming. My perception is that there's a certain mystique to our athletes and all things Cuban. It pre-dates Castro, but truly picked up pace with the Cold War. If something is somewhat unattainable, it aquires mystique. Mystique sells. Once the aura is dulled, the interest starts to wane. I believe That's what happened with Rigo. He had that built-in interest of being an "amateur legend" from a land known for it's amateur dominance. Once the truth became evident, that Guillermo, as great as he is, fought a certain way, people lost interest. Oh, well....

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                      Nonito was brought back because he is an exciting fighter he was actually the one pressing the fight and trying to knock the guy out and make a fight of it. Rigo didn't really try to destroy Nonito he just back step and pot shot, and the audience booed, a handful of guys on boxing scene is not going to make HBO change their mind, the overwhelming majority of boxing fans want action and exciting ebb and flow action, nobody remembers point matches.
                      Yeah well nobody wants a loser either whats the point of that? Why not just air the 300th ranked guys then and watch them knock each other out?

Comment

Working...
                      X