No announcement yet.

Forbes says Mayweather lost Showtime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
    PAC and Rios are BOTH coming off losses! And it will be a action packed fight for as long as it last. Rios is far from a tune up fighter. Are you trying to make a point?

Canelo is a no choice fight. Floyd is losing money! PPV sales are down.
    What is bold makes absolute no sense whats so ever! ^
    floyd aint losing money showtime is. no not trying to make a point this fight was gonna happen regardless of the guerrero fights numbers he been saying it for a yr people just didnt wanna believe it cause it dont fit what they think of floyd

Comment

Originally posted by NatiKid View Post
      floyd aint losing money showtime is. no not trying to make a point this fight was gonna happen regardless of the guerrero fights numbers he been saying it for a yr people just didnt wanna believe it cause it dont fit what they think of floyd
      Floyd might not care that much, but GBP and Haymon care a lot, since Showtime is the only premium outlet for their big and expensive stables. So if their budget is cut, they gonna have to contract or look for other outlets (independent PPV?)

Comment

Not really a surprise if true and Showtime won't be worried, they will look at the deal over the 6 fights,not individually. They would have clauses in the contract so they can have a say on opponents.

Canelo will do big numbers and a Pac fight will too, so as long as Floyd does those two fights the rest can make losses. If Floyd won't fight Pac ST will want harder opponents in the other fights.

Tv companies makes losses on shows all the time, especially with sports, it's called a loss leader. The idea is you get viewers in and that leads them to watch other shows on your channel or channels. It also raises your brand. Over here in Aus the station that shows the football almost always wins the overall ratings even though its a small part of the programming. People identify with channels that show their heroes.

That said Floyd needs an arch enemy to sell big.

Comment

I didnt believe it because of all the years of ducking big fights. I say it does surprise me.

Comment

Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
            Exactly. Mayweather-Canelo will be huge. A $12 million loss isn't that big to a major company like Showtime.
            A loss is a loss.

They invested a lot of money into Floyd and if it doesn't pay off it will be a major hit to Showtime Sports

Comment

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
              I didnt believe it because of all the years of ducking big fights. I say it does surprise me.
              maybe he didnt duck the fights for the reasons you thought and it really was top ranks fault

Comment

Originally posted by Furn View Post
                Not really a surprise if true and Showtime won't be worried, they will look at the deal over the 6 fights,not individually. They would have clauses in the contract so they can have a say on opponents.

Canelo will do big numbers and a Pac fight will too, so as long as Floyd does those two fights the rest can make losses. If Floyd won't fight Pac ST will want harder opponents in the other fights.

Tv companies makes losses on shows all the time, especially with sports, it's called a loss leader. The idea is you get viewers in and that leads them to watch other shows on your channel or channels. It also raises your brand. Over here in Aus the station that shows the football almost always wins the overall ratings even though its a small part of the programming. People identify with channels that show their heroes.

That said Floyd needs an arch enemy to sell big.
                A loss leader is fine if it leads to profits, not further losses. Other than Canelo, the rest of the options will do well to break even. I'm taking Pac as a non option for many reasons, not the least that that fight belongs on HBO PPV, at least joint like Lewis Tyson. But the problem is, forecasting PPV numbers is near impossible, especially 2 years in advance, and coming even 10% short of the break even point is huge losses. Like if these figures are true, 40+% of the annual budget, that's not a loss leader.

Comment

maybe he didnt duck the fights for the reasons you thought and it really was top ranks fault
                  Dude you should watch Floyd confession that he is a rich coward and cherry picked his fights.

Comment

floyd was an hbo double agent all along. good work floyd.

Comment

I hope floyd doesn't ever jump of a bridge because there might be the biggest mass suicide this country has ever seen.... Show time is in the business of making money and they are not "comfortable" losing almost half their boxing budget. When they signed the contract I am 100% sure they did not foresee losing a dime on any fight. There is a reason hbo said no... They always seem to make the right boxing moves. Desperation moves are bad for business and this is just another example. I bet show time put pressure on floyd to fight canelo like he has never felt before, and even if the fight is extremely successful I doubt show time makes up the 12m loss.

Comment

Working...
                      X