No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Trainer: Mayweather Wants a Lower Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Starz20 View Post
    I could be wrong but when Floyd fought Oscar in 2007 I believe Oscar called all the shots! The weight 154, glove size, ring size, everything. Oscar was the man and the cash cow so Floyd had to respect that if he wanted to fight him.

Now Canelo and his team want Floyd they should respect that he is the cash cow and will call the shots. When Canelo just fought Trout, Canelo made sure that he had a rematch if he loss and it was in Texas, but Trout did not get that same agreement in his contract why? Because Canelo was the main draw!

It happens all the time Pac made Marquez and Bradley and now Rios come up to welterweight to fight him because Pac is the main draw it happens all the time. Dawson came down from 175 to 168 to face Ward because Ward is the man. If Floyd doesn't want to fight a guy who just weighed roughly 172 his last fight than he doesn't have to.

At the end of the day that is the only advantage Canelo has over Floyd is size, if that gets taking away Canelo would get beat a lot worse than what Robert did. He is a patient fighter who takes a lot of breaks and seemed to have some stamina issues his last fight.

172 is 3 pounds away from light heavyweight... He could fight Chad Dawson and not really be outweighed that much on fight night.
    Great, great post. Thanks for articulating it so well.

I'm just on page 2/3 as I write this, so I wouldn't know all that's already been written on the weight issue in the close to 900 intervening pages. What I think is that this [weight issue] is just part of the art of negotiations. What I believe the two sides will eventually settle for, is that Canelo must not weigh more than, say, 161 on fight night, for a JMW showdown. That would make sense, IMHO.

In other words, take away some of the impunities we're witnessing in boxing; in this case, the situation/impunity that a supposedly JMW contest (up to 154) will, in actual fact, allow one of the combatants come into the ring as a JHW (172-175,) while the other combatant comes in at 151 max, if that... a massive 21 pounds difference at the minimum. That would be blatant cheating, on the scale of Victor "I'm a tree brah" Ortiz' headbutt in the Mayweather fight.

In fact, if team Canelo are smart, they will themselves - just before negotiations could break down irreversibly - offer to not come in at more than 161 pounds, say, on fight night.

Or, the two teams could settle for something else. But settle I think they will - eventually.

P34c3

Comment

• Floyd will fight him at 154 in time. Everyone should relax.

Comment

• I'd be perfectly fine with a catchweight, but he dug himself in a hole making of Pac for catchweigths.

Anyway, I think Floyd will end up fighting him at 154

Comment

• If Mayweather fights another welterweight he needs to be stripped of his 154 lb title. Whats the use?

Comment

• Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
            another floyd lover, lol. this is hilarious!

"Floyd has a belt at 154."

".........SO *** DEM FLOYD MAKES DA RULEZZZZZ, WORD."

lmao
            Floyd DOES NOT have a 154 title anymore he was stripped

Comment

• Originally posted by bravestone View Post
              If Mayweather fights another welterweight he needs to be stripped of his 154 lb title. Whats the use?
              If that's the case, Canelo should've been stripped 3 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by bravestone View Post
                If Mayweather fights another welterweight he needs to be stripped of his 154 lb title. Whats the use?
                He no longer has his middleweight belt he lost it when he fought guerrero they stripped him about a month ago

Comment

• Originally posted by davidkidd View Post
                  He no longer has his middleweight belt he lost it when he fought guerrero they stripped him about a month ago
                  Oh, well I was unaware of that! That's good then. So if he doesn't want to move back up, what's the big deal when he's the champion at welterweight.

Comment

• Originally posted by joesaiditstrue View Post
                    what are gingers terms? fighting at 154lbs isn't a "Ginger Term", it's the ****ing terms of the weight division

what exactly are you arguing here? you sound pretty dumb to debate this
                    Floyd doesn't hold that title anymore

Comment

• If I'm not mistaken, werent you Floydboys all for a showdown between Floyd and Canelo in Sept as long as Canelo got past Trout? that's all I heard when Floyd was getting criticized for choosing Guerrero for May 4th. Why the sudden change of heart? You knew damn well Canelo was never gonna go down to 147 to fight Floyd. It was pretty much known and expected that Floyd the 147-154 champ would be facing Trout at 154. Even after all the smack he talked about Pac and his catchweights I'd still be fine with them meeting at 151.
                      Last edited by Deevel916; 05-12-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X