Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo's Trainer: Mayweather Wants a Lower Weight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd is right, why should he fight canelo at 154? its not like floyd is the 154 wba champ right? u guys are forgetting there is no blueprint to beat floyd, he is p4p no.1. G.O.A.T. welterweight/junior middleweight

Comment

• isn't it ironic that the guy who goes around name calling floyd fans a "floboner" dedicates 100+ posts to floyd every day? lmfao

Comment

• I've got two trains of thought here:

1. If this is true, it's hugely disappointing. Mayweather claims he's the best- ever. To prove his point he should take on Alvarez at 154lbs. If he wants to convince all doubters and detractors, taking this challenge would a step in the right direction. If this fight doesn't happen over weight or whatever, I'll be disappointed with him. I think the guy has great skills but there'll always be this missing link that separates him from the absolute ATGs. That link that says he believes in himself enough to take the risk.

2. The other train is that it is usually the marquee fighter, the champion, that gets to dictate the terms. Ward wouldn't move anywhere for Dawson, Pacquiao wouldn't move anywhere for a potential rematch with Cotto etc. It has been this way in boxing EXCEPT for those striving for something more than money. For plenty of fighters, getting your own way in negotiations wouldn't be a bit tpoic of discussion. But for the number one P4P fighter who says "skills pay the bills", and happens to have fought at the weight of the challenger before, we have a right to expect a little bit more.

Comment

• Wow, this thread has to own some records for quickest to 90 pages+.....

I agree with the overall tone of this thread. If skills win fights and weight doesn't matter take on the ginger on Mexican Independence day and make the most money since ODL...
          IF its true that he want it at 147, and i am not totally convinced it is, then that a straight up duck...

Also, some you have absolutely nothing better to do on a Saturday night then patroll these boards????

Floyd Quote.
          " think Miguel Cotto is a hell of a fighter, a strong solid 154-pounder. Pacquiao was trying to fight him at 147. I would never want to put a fighter in a position where he's not comfortable. I want a guy when he's at his best. If he's at his best at 154 and he's strong and he's solid, then that's the fight we're fighting at. I walk around at 150, but at the end of the day - skills pay the bills.

De La Hoya - Pacquiao fights him at a catch-weight. Cotto - he fights him at a catchweight. When I fought De La Hoya, I said 'give him to me at 154.' With Cotto - 'give him to me at 154.' Give me the guys where they are comfortable at their weight so there are no excuses."
          Last edited by QballLobo; 05-12-2013, 10:22 AM. Reason: added

Comment

• Originally posted by QballLobo View Post
            Wow, this thread has to own some records for quickest to 90 pages+.....

I agree with the overall tone of this thread. If skills win fights and weight doesn't matter take on the ginger on Mexican Independence day and make the most money since ODL...
            IF its true that he want it at 147, and i am not totally convinced it is, then that a straight up duck...

Also, some you have absolutely nothing better to do on a Saturday night then patroll these boards????

Floyd Quote.
            " think Miguel Cotto is a hell of a fighter, a strong solid 154-pounder. Pacquiao was trying to fight him at 147. I would never want to put a fighter in a position where he's not comfortable. I want a guy when he's at his best. If he's at his best at 154 and he's strong and he's solid, then that's the fight we're fighting at. I walk around at 150, but at the end of the day - skills pay the bills.

De La Hoya - Pacquiao fights him at a catch-weight. Cotto - he fights him at a catchweight. When I fought De La Hoya, I said 'give him to me at 154.' With Cotto - 'give him to me at 154.' Give me the guys where they are comfortable at their weight so there are no excuses."
            agree.

however, so far, it's only alvarez' side disclosing anything about "discussions".

Comment

• lol Floyd, Floyd, Floyd.

Frankly, I don't see why Floyd doesn't take this fight at 154. IMO Canelo is still a work-in-progress and can't beat the Mayweather that showed up for Guerrero, period. Mayweather should take the fight now while he's still young enough to beat Canelo, not let everyone say he's ducking again and let Canelo get better before fighting (or never fight at all).

I don't even understand Floyd's "logic".

Comment

• Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                Floyd's also at 154, currently holds two belts there. You tried this last night and got laughed out...you could always try the rehydration pathway again, but that went even worse!
                Another attempt but failed. Trying to defend Alvarez record is plain crazy. You just proved my point. Try staying on track. Floyd is a 147 fight and can't even make 154. Has Alvarez made a attempt to take a shot at 160. Nope. All his attempts have been at 147 and below. Guy you and anybody else need to stop. It's a lost cost. This is easy.

Comment

• Wow fell alseep and when i awoke this thread had over 17K views

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
                    i thought it was funny as well, but if it was canelo asking for a catchweight of a larger fighter; would you not be right there with these nsber's, ripping him?
                    If I don't jump on this when Mayweather supposedly asks for it, I wouldn't do it for Alvarez. I hate on Floyd Mayweather Jr. a LOT more than I rip on Alvarez.

I figure people should wait for Mayweather, or something involved on his side with negotiations, to say whether this is true or not.

I hope this is true, because I would LOVE to spend 200 pages ripping on Mayweather.

Comment

• Originally posted by junior gong View Post
                      Floyd's also at 154, currently holds two belts there. You tried this last night and got laughed out...you could always try the rehydration pathway again, but that went even worse!
                      For the note, I put a thumb in the eye, salt on a open womb on the Alvarezites fan boys. (Laugh out), spare me. Only excuse, he's 23? When, when he had 50+ fights? Berto had 20+ fight and people was screaming for him to fight a legit guy. That's right Alvarez gets a past. I'm a Alvarez fan and picked him to knock trout out. Fan but not ready to beat on the wagon. It's call truth and stop crying.

Comment

Working...
                      X