MayDay ShowPPV, less than 1M PPV buys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tacoboxer View Post
    Please

Forgot? More like left out.... because I don't believe I am able to effectively comment on those facets.

I can say that the Broadcaster (Showtime) makes very little on ppv... and distribution (cable, dish, ect....) have made up to 45% of ppv revenues.

Here is your opportunity to contribute something meaningful to the conversation...
    so suddenly the pot gets a lot smaller

Comment

• Originally posted by tacoboxer View Post
      How come nobody does their homework... all they do is read an article and regurgitate it...

.... less than 1M ppv buys a failure
      .... 1.1 - 1.2 to break-even

Let me do the math for you:

Even at 800,000 ppv buys at the lowest buy rate of $59.95 ($69.95 HD) we have ppv revenue of 48M... add the live gate of 9.9M... we are at 57.9M.

Now include revenue from (Assume an extremely conservative 2M):
      -Corporate sponsorships: AT&T, Corona, O'Reilys Auto Parts, Valvoline, Star Trek Into Darkness

-Advertising revenue

-MGM Grand Garden Fees to host the event (yup... if you didn't know they pay to host)

-Food & Beverage Sales

-other concessions like shirts and hats

We are looking at a fight that generated $60M.... conservative.

-less 32M for Money
      -less 3M for Guerrero

leaves $25M (at the suggested 1.2M break-even mark... this fight generated $84M leaving $49M to pay the bills.....)

All the while you have Iole and Raefel claiming the event was a bust and Showtime is losing money because the early projections (not even the official ppv numbers) are under 1M buys.

I believe that every makes money at 800k - 900K and if I am Showtime I can live with that.

The media, and GBP did their best to make Guerrero seem like he had a chance. ODL... playing promoter did his best to convince us that Guerrero's style would take Floyd out of his game plan.

Fight fans knew better...

Contrary to popular belief... the sky is not falling in Showtime or Mayweather's world.... the media only wants you to think it is.
      You overlooked something big. 1/2 of the PPV revenue goes to the carriers, like cable companies etc. so if the PPV generates 60 million, the promotion only gets 30 million

Comment

• I posted this in another thread but thought it would fit here as well.

Floyd and Pacman are the biggest draws in the sport by far. Its very hard to do over a million buys with a fighter no one knows. Oscar was the biggest draw ever (around the lower weights) and he missed 1 million buys numerous times. Lets take a look at some of their numbers to put things in perspective.

9/14/2002- Oscar v Vargas 935,000
        9/13/2003- Oscar v. Mosley 2 950,000
        9/18/2004- Oscar v. Hopkins 1 million
        5/6/2006- Oscar v. Mayorga 925,000
        5/5/2007- Oscar v. Floyd 2.5 million
        3/13/2010- Pac v. Clottey 700,000
        6/9/2012- Pac v. Bradley 700,000
        11/14/2009- Pac v. Cotto 1.2 million

What does that tell you?

Now I agree with most that Floyd should fight Canelo next but people act like under 1 million buys against Guerrero is a failure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Public_Enemy View Post
          I posted this in another thread but thought it would fit here as well.

Floyd and Pacman are the biggest draws in the sport by far. Its very hard to do over a million buys with a fighter no one knows. Oscar was the biggest draw ever (around the lower weights) and he missed 1 million buys numerous times. Lets take a look at some of their numbers to put things in perspective.

What does that tell you?

Now I agree with most that Floyd should fight Canelo next but people act like under 1 million buys against Guerrero is a failure.
          i don't think anybody is saying the numbers aren't good by normal standards...the numbers are not good for showtime based on what mayweather's deal is. they lost millions on this fight. it was a complete failure for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by tacoboxer
            Quote:

Originally Posted by mconstantine

Public Relations was my minor so I can recognize a good spin when I see it...and this was brilliant! LMAO

I am as much of a fan of Floyd as anybody but his balls are lodged deep, DEEP in your throat right now. 900K when you've been averaging well over 1M is not good. Numbers don't lie. You can't spin that.

Don't understand why folks are getting so offended about calling out dismal PPV numbers. As a fan, I like it because it may force Floyd to fight more viable opponents. Stop being so sensitive. Y'all ain't getting any of that PPV money.

Looks like you should brush up on your PR minor... since you're having a hard time discerning spin from fact. Not to put too harsh a point to it but you lack understanding when you describe a 900K buy rate "dismal".

Can you and I agree that Ross Greenburg knows a little more about the ppv business than any 100 people we could pick in this silly chat room?

Essentially what your saying is that Ross Greenburg:
            - has no idea what the hell he is doing....
            - that he was caught off guard with this fight....
            - that he has no idea how to evaluate the ppv business to produce a profitable event....

Do you realize that what your saying is your thoughts and ideas on this subject are more credible than Ross Greenburg?

Consider Mr. Greenburg's opinion regarding ppv... you can find the information below from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

"......only one pay-per-view mega-fight took place in 2006: De La Hoya-Mayorga (925,000 buys). Rahman-Maskaev bombed with under 50,000. The other eight PPV cards all fell in the 325,000–450,000 range. Pay-per-view fights in that range almost always generate more money for the promoter and fighters than HBO wants to pay for an HBO World Championship Boxing license-fee"

ALSO...

"HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg calls the expansion of pay-per-view "the biggest economic issue in boxing" and says:

"I can't tell you that pay-per-view helps the sport because it doesn't. It hurts the sport because it narrows our audience, but it's a fact of life. Every time we try to make an HBO World Championship Boxing fight, we're up against mythical pay-per-view numbers. HBO doesn't make a lot of money from pay-per-view. There's usually a cap on what we can make. But the promoters and fighters insist on pay-per-view because that's where their greatest profits lie."

BTW... you do know Mr. Greenburg is now with Showtime...

http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/p...ed-by-showtime

But... of course... it's probably just a coincidence that the announcement of Greenburg's hiring came around the same time as Floyd announcing his new Showtime deal.
            isn't Greenberg the same guy who said it was Floyd who held up the PAC fight?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by Public_Enemy
              I posted this in another thread but thought it would fit here as well.

What does that tell you?

it tells me Oscar didn't fight in the social media era. context pal. try using it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
                it tells me Oscar didn't fight in the social media era. context pal. try using it.

Neither did Tyson.

You honestly believe twitter and facebook alone generate hundreds of thousands of PPV sales? Especially for a niche sport like boxing?

Do you have any evidence to back this claim up, or are you just assuming shit because "hey, it kind of makes sense".
                Last edited by deliveryman; 05-09-2013, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=ColdCa$hCanelo;13347874]it tells me Oscar didn't fight in the social media era. context pal. try using it.

So he goes from 900000 in 2006 to 2.5 million in 2007 and you're talking about using context. Not to mention 2006 is in the “social media era". There's more streaming nowadays so I think that offsets your social media cop out. Nice try though. This also doesn't explain Manny's numbers during this “social media era”.

By the way, I'm not arguing that Floyd is a bigger star than Oscar because its not true. But it's clear that 1 million buys is an accomplishment in this sport that few stars can achieve consistently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                    if you did your homework you would know that the cable and satellite operators get half of the ppv money.
                    Know your **** before you open your mouth.... Ross Greenburg has forgotten more about ppv than any 100 people in this silly blog will ever know!

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

HBO Sports President Ross Greenburg calls the expansion of pay-per-view "the biggest economic issue in boxing" and says:

"I can't tell you that pay-per-view helps the sport because it doesn't. It hurts the sport because it narrows our audience, but it's a fact of life. Every time we try to make an HBO World Championship Boxing fight, we're up against mythical pay-per-view numbers. HBO doesn't make a lot of money from pay-per-view. There's usually a cap on what we can make. But the promoters and fighters insist on pay-per-view because that's where their greatest profits lie."

yeah... lecture me on homework...

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
                      isn't Greenberg the same guy who said it was Floyd who held up the PAC fight?

Show me your source... troll

Comment

Working...
                      X