Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Rafel Just say Floyd wants to compete at 140?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
    I don't know. He didn't/couldn't make 144 for Marquez back when (although I don't actually believe he couldn't...I mean if you can weigh 148 a month out from a fight however many years later, I think you're capable of making 144. My opinion, he didn't weigh in at 144 so that no one else coming up could point to that occasion and demand a 144 catchweight). I wouldn't advise the drop, but Floyd knows his body better than anybody. I didn't actually catch the stream, so I'm not sure if Dan even said this.

Second of all, who's he gonna fight there? The biggest fight for him is Canelo/Trout winner anyhow.

I don't think he wants the winner of that fight.

Comment

Floyd shows up at weigh ins weighing 146 to 147 pounds and looking hard as a rock. I think fighting at 140 might be hard for him. If he wants to fight at 140 more power to him. Matthysse is as dangerous as any welterweight and he will probably win the tournament. If Floyd dropped to 140 and did not fight the tournament winner he would look bad. I don't think there is any way in hell that Floyd will fight the Trout-Canelo winner but time will tell. As long as Floyd gives up his 154 pound title I have no problem with him fighting at whatever weight he feels best at. If he is going to keep his 154 pound title then he should defend it very soon. He won it a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by E.P.T. View Post
        I don't think he wants the winner of that fight.
        I can imagine that, but I think it depends on how the winner looks (and has looked). Where and how vulnerable that guy is and how Floyd can exploit it. If Canelo gets the victory, and doesn't look entirely amazing (also remember Floyd sees a lot of things we're not seeing) there's a lot of money there for Floyd. I think a Canelo fight is hard to walk away from. It would do some really great numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Memphlow View Post
          ALA Roy Jones.....
          That was a drastic weight change though, we're talking from heavyweight to light heavy with RJJ. PWill fluctuated a lot, too. Dropping a weight class would be alright if Mayweather were a little younger, but to do it now, ehhh....

Comment

floyd shouldn't drop back down to 140 lbs. didn't he see what happened to RJJ?

Comment

Originally posted by SCEN3RY View Post
              I can imagine that, but I think it depends on how the winner looks (and has looked). Where and how vulnerable that guy is and how Floyd can exploit it. If Canelo gets the victory, and doesn't look entirely amazing (also remember Floyd sees a lot of things we're not seeing) there's a lot of money there for Floyd. I think a Canelo fight is hard to walk away from. It would do some really great numbers.

Yea you're right, If Canelo gets a gift decision in a semi close fight then I can see Floyd taking the bait, but if either Trout or Canelo school one another (or KO's one another) I don't see Floyd taking the fight! He's gonna stay at 147 regardless though, he cant make 140.

Comment

Not happening. Floyd can't make 140 healthy anymore, the guy hasn't been there since he was 28, he's 36 now. Its like Sergio fighting healthy at 154, not happening.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                  as Ive said many times before, you cannot penalyze someone for being too good. Again, if anyone fights anyone from 140-147 its a great fight but Floyd literally cannont fight any of them or its a garbage fight/cherry pick. Are you trying to tell me that its fair to say that Floyd isnt allowed to fight again unless he's fighting at 154-160 even though he comes into the ring at 150 pounds? Thats the only fair fights for him?

Even though he would be in his 5th or 6th division and all those guys would be in there 1st division and are huge at the weight? Thats the only fights Floyd can have? Pac can fight anyone at 140-147 and its a great fight. JMM wants to fight Bradley and its a great fight. Ghost can literally right now fight anyone from 135-147 and its a great fight but for Floyd its garbage.

Let Floyd try to fight Bradley right now and watch how everyone rips him. Let Floyd fight any of these guys. People call Matthysee a killer but Floyd would get killed for fighting him. However, let anyone else fight Matthysee and people wont be able to wait to see it. Its a joke. Dont tell me that the only guys Floyd can fight are the guys who look natuarlly 2 or more weight classes bigger
                  People are crucial of mayweather picks because I think its fairly a common notion that Mayweather beats anyone from 140-147 with out a doubt. Now he does hold a 154 title but seems reluctant to fight anyone at that weight, Him only coming in at 150 lbs hold no bearing on this argument that his personal problem not ours. We are boxing fans, we must demand that the best fights be made by the champion and we must demand that the champion defend his title, Mayweather is the champion at 154 and holds a title.

That the thick and fat of it, not that people are unfairly making demands of mayweather it that his fans or some fans in general are Mayweather sympathizer, him weighing 150lbs not our problem, him hold a title at 154 and not defending it is our problem.

Every fighter can make an excuse on why to take the easier fight, because he has that excuse, we should allow him to get away with it?

Mayweather is the P4p#1 , 154 lb title holder, so is it outrageous of people to ask the Pound for Pound champion in the whole wide world to defend his title?

Comment

Originally posted by E.P.T. View Post
                    Yea you're right, If Canelo gets a gift decision in a semi close fight then I can see Floyd taking the bait, but if either Trout or Canelo school one another (or KO's one another) I don't see Floyd taking the fight! He's gonna stay at 147 regardless though, he cant make 140.
                    you know if Matthysse defeats Peterson, I wouldn't mind that fight at 140 or 147. With this tourney in hand I'm not sure where Floyd would fit in anyhow, not that I doubt Schaefer will make room. Who knows, maybe Floyd will have to defeat everyone before he's allowed to face Khan. All jokes aside, the financial reward would be so much greater at 154, than to risk his health dropping down to a weight class he hasn't campaigned in in so many years. It's all speculation at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                      I mean besides Trout vs Canelo winner theirs really nothing else for him at welterweight.

140 would be sweet if he fought the winner of Garcia/Judah vs Mattysse-Peterson.

Screw Khan he can just go away.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                      That would be the ultimate screw job, kahns preparing himself to make 147, trying to make his opponents fight at catch weights, all to try and get the Floyd fight and all of a sudden Floyd drops to lww

Comment

Working...
                      X