No announcement yet.

Who beats a Prime 168 Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
    Roy`s only weakness was his boxing arrogance, he was soo gifted that he never had to dig deep and learn, that costed him dearly as he got older and lost the body

Other then that, the things he could do, he was not like normal humans.
    agreed. calzaghe might give roy a decent fight but her would lose.

i think a cagey, slick, savvy operator who could slow the fight down and sort of lull roy into a trap might have some chance. someone in the mould of hopkins, ward, a prime focussed toney or eubank might have some success.

still don't think they would land much on him but i think they would be able to make it their fight.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
      we will never know as he didn't fight most of his major threats. Eubank, Benn, Mclellan.... you know the rest.
      He fought the best guy at 160lbs who went on to dominate the entire division for the next decade because Roy decided to move up and fight the best fighter in THAT division.. then decided to move up and literally capture 7 titles, and fightt 7 out of the top 10 fighters at LHW.. Scared ass Michlaez wouldn't leave his country to fight the #1 p4p HBO fighter.

SMH at didnt fight anyone.

Then fought a guy who outweighed him by 30+lbs.. then moved back down to fight the new #1 LHW.. and WON. The rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Haynes View Post
        This guy and Thomas Hearns are my two picks.
        Here's roy jones vs tommy hearns

except percy harris was suppossed to have an iron chin

Comment

So many guys he should have fought when he was in his prime ... Eubank, Benn, Watson, McClellan, Collins, Calzaghe, Darius ... prime roy beats them all easily (barring a puncher's chance)and goes down as GOAT (well in the modern era anyway) especially if he retired after Ruiz.

But anyway re the original question if I had to pick somebody .... I dunno I'd give Tommy Hearns a shot ... afterall one of my mantras is Manny Steward's "nobody outboxes Tommy Hearns" and that's a shot I would favour him over roy.

The real sadness of Jones is he only really started hunting down the top guys when he was shot. when he was prime he was perhaps (and I don't know if this is the right phrasing) 'too arrogant' to make any concessions at all in order to make the fights happen.

Comment

Originally posted by hookoutofhell View Post
            agreed. calzaghe might give roy a decent fight but her would lose.

i think a cagey, slick, savvy operator who could slow the fight down and sort of lull roy into a trap might have some chance. someone in the mould of hopkins, ward, a prime focussed toney or eubank might have some success.

still don't think they would land much on him but i think they would be able to make it their fight.
            it wouldn't even be close, no disrespect to joe but roy beats him easily (and sayin roy beats them easily is no disrespect to anybody lol)

Comment

I wouldn't bet against him with anyone

Calslappy has zero chance at all all LMFAO at anyone mentioning the tomato can assassin.

Comment

Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
                He fought the best guy at 160lbs who went on to dominate the entire division for the next decade because Roy decided to move up and fight the best fighter in THAT division.. then decided to move up and literally capture 7 titles, and fightt 7 out of the top 10 fighters at LHW.. Scared ass Michlaez wouldn't leave his country to fight the #1 p4p HBO fighter.

SMH at didnt fight anyone.

Then fought a guy who outweighed him by 30+lbs.. then moved back down to fight the new #1 LHW.. and WON. The rest is history.
                At the time Eubank and Benn were never going to fight Toney, he was considered in a different league and rightly so IMO, Roy Jones comes along and dominates him, not sure how Roy is considered some great avoider at this weight.

Comment

Originally posted by 110110110 View Post
                  Roy`s only weakness was his boxing arrogance, he was soo gifted that he never had to dig deep and learn, that costed him dearly as he got older and lost the body

Other then that, the things he could do, he was not like normal humans.
                  Actually a really good point. I can't really blame him though. When you know you're unbeatable, to the point where you toy with opponents, you might aswell be arrogant about it. I think it brings more "fans" in the sense people will watch the fight to see if anyone can actually pull it off. Mayweather kinda emulates that a little.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but he cemented himself firmly as a legend after regaining the 175 title after winning the WBA Heavyweight crown. Anything after that I see as him continuing for the love of the sport (or money as some say, though I dont believe that) and doesn't count anything towards his legacy.

At 168 though, I think he was unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
                    Actually a really good point. I can't really blame him though. When you know you're unbeatable, to the point where you toy with opponents, you might aswell be arrogant about it. I think it brings more "fans" in the sense people will watch the fight to see if anyone can actually pull it off. Mayweather kinda emulates that a little.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but he cemented himself firmly as a legend after regaining the 175 title after winning the WBA Heavyweight crown. Anything after that I see as him continuing for the love of the sport (or money as some say, though I dont believe that) and doesn't count anything towards his legacy.

At 168 though, I think he was unbeatable.
                    As good as floyd is, raw natural talent wise roy is in a different league - mayweather's brilliance relies on supreme skills developed through a lifetime of as he says 'hard work and dedication' Roy was simply an unbelievably gifted natural talent. He did things in there that shouldn't have worked but they did because as somebody said previously 'he was not like other humans'

Comment

At 168 he was unbeatable. Nobody can beat 168 Jones.
                      That being said, 168 is a very short division with a weak history. A lot of 160 and 175 guys that fought could easily have been SMW'S if the division existed during their time.
                      The reason I mention this is at 175, Roy was still a freak of nature and amazing, but 175 is a true division and that's when the doors open. Moorer,Chalres,Foster,Moore, and Spinks all have a very good shot of beating 175 Roy. Some of them would even be considered favorites. I think sometimes people forget just how great Spinks and Moorer was at 175, mainly because they went up to HW and got sparked out by a prime Tyson and a Fat Foreman.
                      At 175(Roy's real weight class tbh) they were surreal.
                      I don't think Jones could take Moorer's punching power, I don't think Jones could avoid getting hit because Moorer was an unorthodox southpaw. And Moorer at that weight had the speed and technique of a Hopkins. Spinks had similiar power and his style was awkard as hell at times.

In the short history of 168 though, there is nobody that can take Roy. The best version of Nigel Benn (the PCP Induced full out raged killer version) could probably pressure Roy into a tough fight, just like Calzaghe could. A 168 Hopkins(we never saw that since he never fought at 168, but I believe he could have been just as good at 168 as at 160) would trouble him I think. But overall 168-Roy is unbeatable
                      175- There is a number of LHW'S that would have been 50-50 fights. If not outright favorites against Roy.

Comment

Working...
                      X