Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd's legacy stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
    If you don't look at resume then its all subjective. joe calzaghe is the best because he has an amazing workrate and an iron chin. or adrian broner is the best because he has amazing defense and ko power. but who did they fight? ummmmmm LOOK AT their SKILLS! that's all that matters!

respect is earned by beating the best, not by flashing your skills against B level fighters over and over. Somewhere along the way that got lost but oh well the money didn't get lost for floyd.
    Its all subjective regardless of how you look at it. It's silly to think that you can rank fighters solely based on resume. Obviously a fighter's resume and strength of opponents matters, but it has to be taken in consideration relative to other factors. Skills definitely matter. With Mayweather it's not all about who he has beaten, a lot of it is how he has looked beating them. You have an obvious agenda. Mayweather isn't Broner or Calzaghe, lots if people have considered him the best p4p fighter in the sport for almost a decade. That's not all about hype and being an American either. Mayweather probably gets more respect outside of the US. You need to drop your bias and start keeping it real. You're a hater, admit to yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Lowkey- View Post
      Duran
      Hearns
      Leonard
      Robinson
      Benitez
      Armstrong
      Pryor

Just off the bat by no means a complete list a lot more names could be added all have better resumes all would beat Floyd imo.
      Please, go ahead and explain to me how Aaron Pryor has a better resume than Floyd Mayweather.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        Please, go ahead and explain to me how Aaron Pryor has a better resume than Floyd Mayweather.
        No matter what will be his answer, you can see that Floyd is one of the greatest when people has to compare him to fighter from other decades.

If I was a fighter and somebody told me " Hey !! You're not that good, fighter X in 1962 would have beaten you. " I would be happy as hell

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
          Its all subjective regardless of how you look at it. It's silly to think that you can rank fighters solely based on resume. Obviously a fighter's resume and strength of opponents matters, but it has to be taken in consideration relative to other factors. Skills definitely matter. With Mayweather it's not all about who he has beaten, a lot of it is how he has looked beating them. You have an obvious agenda. Mayweather isn't Broner or Calzaghe, lots if people have considered him the best p4p fighter in the sport for almost a decade. That's not all about hype and being an American either. Mayweather probably gets more respect outside of the US. You need to drop your bias and start keeping it real. You're a hater, admit to yourself.

yeah it is. it's hype. Floyd was rated p4p #2 based on wins over genaro hernandez, angel manfredy, carlos alberto rios, justin juuko and carlos gerena. #2! he hadn't even fought corrales yet. What other boxer would be so highly ranked with such a flimsy resume? calzaghe avoided everyone for years and still had a much better resume than floyd when floyd was #2 but joe didn't break into the p4p list until............he fought an overhyped american named jeff lacy!

Comment

yeah it is. it's hype. Floyd was rated p4p #2 based on wins over genaro hernandez, angel manfredy, carlos alberto rios, justin juuko and carlos gerena. #2! he hadn't even fought corrales yet. What other boxer would be so highly ranked with such a flimsy resume? calzaghe avoided everyone for years and still had a much better resume than floyd when floyd was #2 but joe didn't break into the p4p list until............he fought an overhyped american named jeff lacy!
            He was #2 for about two months. He was down to #7 when he fought Corrales. Your arguments are beyond silly. You overlook everything else happening (like other pound for pounders moving up and down and thus, Floyd's position changing) and downplay the quality of accomplishments as well. Angel Mandredy was considered one of the most underrated fighters in the sport coming off his battering of Gatti and Hernandez was a top 20 fighter. And Floyd didn't break a sweat against either. But please, continue.

Comment

I don't know who's p4p list youre talking about but I didn't start hearing Mayweather being talked about as 1 of the p4p best until about '04 or '05. You're whining too much without really saying anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
                I don't know who's p4p list youre talking about but I didn't start hearing Mayweather being talked about as 1 of the p4p best until about '04 or '05. You're whining too much without really saying anything.
                He was in the P4P list as early as 1998 but around that time, Roy Jones and Oscar were the main guys. Whitaker just falling down.

You're right, he was considered to be the #1 across all boards around 04-05.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  He was #2 for about two months. He was down to #7 when he fought Corrales. Your arguments are beyond silly. You overlook everything else happening (like other pound for pounders moving up and down and thus, Floyd's position changing) and downplay the quality of accomplishments as well. Angel Mandredy was considered one of the most underrated fighters in the sport coming off his battering of Gatti and Hernandez was a top 20 fighter. And Floyd didn't break a sweat against either. But please, continue.
                  but why was he #2 in the first place with such a weak resume? you think some foreigner who's not american and doesn't fight on hbo with a similar resume would be ranked p4p #2. most boxers use their hype and fight the best like leonard, ali, oscar. Floyd's one of the first to use his hype and not fight the best. Fans stuck around for some reason which proves boxing fans either are extremely ignorant and are fooled by marketing or just don't care about competitive boxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    He was in the P4P list as early as 1998 but around that time, Roy Jones and Oscar were the main guys. Whitaker just falling down.

You're right, he was considered to be the #1 across all boards around 04-05.
                    Ok fair enough. Ive never really kept up with the "official" p4p rankings.

Comment

but why was he #2 in the first place with such a weak resume? you think some foreigner who's not american and doesn't fight on hbo with a similar resume would be ranked p4p #2. most boxers use their hype and fight the best like leonard, ali, oscar. Floyd's one of the first to use his hype and not fight the best. Fans stuck around for some reason which proves boxing fans either are extremely ignorant and are fooled by marketing or just don't care about competitive boxing.
                      Probably because those two wins (in the span of a couple months) were extremely impressive. Especially the manner in which he did it. I'm just ignoring the rest of your post because you sound like a scorned hater. Tell me, in your extensive research, did you happen to come across what the other top 10 fighters were doing in that time?

Comment

Working...
                      X