Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL NSB Al Haymon managed fighters thread. Discuss & Debate!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New England View Post
    had to step out of my office for literally three hours and this one is still going strong

#boxing.
    its been good to. no crap.

Comment

• Haymon stepped gingerly into boxing, around 2000; it is unclear exactly when. He first worked closely with one fighter, Vernon Forrest, and described his foray into pugilism as a hobby, nothing more.

Early on, Haymon tenaciously sought connections with the networks. He called Xavier James, the vice president for sports programming at HBO until 2004, at all hours daily, on three separate lines, and yet Haymon remained a mystery to James. Haymon penetrated boxing, James said, “with a great deal of guile and almost no personal interaction.”

“If I wanted to,” James said Haymon often told him, “I could run boxing.”

Starting with Forrest, Haymon established his reputation as someone who maximized fighters’ incomes, often at the expense of promoters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        its been good to. no crap.
        agreed. very nice discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2501 View Post
          he had a stretch where he was paid an undeserved amount in fights that shouldn't have been on TV. I'm actually curious to know if there was any other fighter who had more HBO appearances than him in the past 4 years.
          Pacquiao?

and if you are a fan of the sport stop complaining about the fighters getting paid. Can they live?

Comment

• Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
            lol please don't tell me your using belts to distinguish between who is a prospect and who is a fighter in his prime ready to step up come on man.

rigo has what ten fights and is ready for the likes of donaire,mares and ect.
            so you really think Austin Trout is a prospect and that Ramos stepped up even though he was forced to face his mandatory?

danny garcia had what 25 fights and his first risky fight was against khan.

garcia was a prospect fighting morales to prove he was ready to step up,he didn't look great but he won the fight clearly and knocked morales down in the fight.
            no his first risky fight was Theopane, then Morales now Khan

that's the difference between a fighter in his prime and a fighter who is a prospect proving he's now ready for his first big fight.
            that's funny I would tell you the same thing but you seem to not realize that if you're calling Trout a prospect lol

also you say stated ramos didn't deserve the shot but he knocked the guy out which kinda makes me think whether he earned the shot or not he proved he was the better man.
            he was woefully behind, lost every round, and got lucky with one punch

prior to that what exactly did he do to deserve a title shot?

basically ramos stepped up and fought rigo who is one of the best in the division denying that is ridiculous belts and mando excuses excluded.
            again slower this time

he had no choice but to face Rigo or be stripped

trout is a prospect yes he's a champ but in a division like 154 do you really think he's ready for fighters like lara,canelo(he was supposed to fight canelo but looked like a prospect in the with Rodriguez fight which is why he didn't get the fight),cotto and kirkland?
            just because in your eyes he looked like a prospect does not mean he is you're just using that to fit your argument

and it's funny how you put names out there yet he is rumored to be fighting the very names you list

in fact....Trout has been a champion longer than Canelo yet very few call him a prospect anymore

this is fun

berto stepped up to fight ortiz not a big step up not a great risk as it was ortiz's first fight at 147 but he did finally stepped up.
            after how many years and soft touches while being on HBO? years man cmon

i think berto and his fights on hbo was a sham which is why i understand the hate haymon got for those matches but looks to me his fighters step up when they have proven they're no longer prospects and are ready to step up.
            for some yes others no

which means he, like everyone else, is not above being criticized

that's been my entire point

Comment

• Originally posted by 2501 View Post
              he had a stretch where he was paid an undeserved amount in fights that shouldn't have been on TV. I'm actually curious to know if there was any other fighter who had more HBO appearances than him in the past 4 years.
              but in the end it all evened out. berto got blasted by ortiz then got popped for PED's. HBO's investment is virtually down the drain because very few fans will ever support berto. he'll never be the star HBO/haymon/gbp tried to make him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eaner0919 View Post
                so you really think Austin Trout is a prospect and that Ramos stepped up even though he was forced to face his mandatory?

no his first risky fight was Theopane, then Morales now Khan

that's funny I would tell you the same thing but you seem to not realize that if you're calling Trout a prospect lol

he was woefully behind, lost every round, and got lucky with one punch

prior to that what exactly did he do to deserve a title shot?

again slower this time

he had no choice but to face Rigo or be stripped

just because in your eyes he looked like a prospect does not mean he is you're just using that to fit your argument

and it's funny how you put names out there yet he is rumored to be fighting the very names you list

in fact....Trout has been a champion longer than Canelo yet very few call him a prospect anymore

this is fun

after how many years and soft touches while being on HBO? years man cmon

for some yes others no

which means he, like everyone else, is not above being criticized

that's been my entire point
                earner none of us are saying al shouldn't be criticized. at least i'm not. I'm saying make the criticism even.

i will say this, I can understand why klitchko fans get so upset when it seems people are criticizing them just because they are white or non american. it does get tough to separate honest criticism sometimes.

Comment

but in the end it all evened out. berto got blasted by ortiz then got popped for PED's. HBO's investment is virtually down the drain because very few fans will ever support berto. he'll never be the star HBO/haymon/gbp tried to make him.
                  this is true...I mean this is the name of the game and has been since the beginning. Why isnt anyone hating on old school fighters who were treated like divas and who had the benefit of being with the right manager or promoter?

Comment

earner none of us are saying al shouldn't be criticized. at least i'm not. I'm saying make the criticism even.

i will say this, I can understand why klitchko fans get so upset when it seems people are criticizing them just because they are white or non american. it does get tough to separate honest criticism sometimes.
                    that's you and I respect that but the guy I replied to sent up a list, that was begging to be criticized, that tried to show Haymon in a light that simply isn't true on all fronts

just curious to see if he, and anyone else debating for Haymon, also defends the actions of others who do similar practices

if across the board is what you're asking for then it also has to be on every side someone cannot just come on here, defend Haymon's actions, then turn around and get on Arum or Schaefer for the same actions

it's hypocritical

Comment

but we as fans either spent wasted time watching Berto get paraded a list of less than deserving guys or (mere speculation but a good one) probably missed out on fights because of the inflated budget earmarked for Berto's fights

we as fans lost out so while in the end karma might have caught up with this practice the in between ******

Comment

Working...
                      X