Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Victor Ortiz Made The Right Call: Health First, Dollars Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rematch should be big money after the performance he did in that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
      Unfortunately in prizefighting, health hazards are part of the job description. If one is too concerned or afraid for their long-term health, then they are in the wrong profession. They shouldn't be fighting professionally in the first place. This is why boxers are paid so handsomely to take these risks because the sport itself is so dangerous.
      So why throw away future big paydays for one fight especially when you have a bad injury in that one fight. Once again, the great question is asked: For who? For what?

Comment

Originally posted by APryor View Post
        For millions of dollars? Sign me up, sissy boy.

Some of you guys are real cowards... can't take some serious pain for millions of dollars? I feel bad for your families, having such a fairy as the "man" of the house.

For $2,000,000 you can break my jaw and all ten of my fingers. Or you can break my jaw and put me in the ring with a smaller, less skilled fighter for 9 minutes. Anyone who says otherwise is a *****, PERIOD.
        Saying something, and actually doing it are two different things. You think you can take that kind of punishment, but the odds are, you can't. If you're such a bad ass, give your name, and I'll look for you on ESPN, HBO, or Showtime. The fight game is open to anyone who has the guts and balls to get in there. There are millions of dollars in it for you too if you're willing. I'm not attacking you, but it is hard to hear this stuff from someone who is obviously either ignorant on the subject, or is just a mean person, spouting hate towards another. If it is something else, let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rikanlynx86 View Post
          Money was pretty much already in the bank. I assume you are one of these macho keyboard never been near a pair of glove soldiers who calls a pro fighter a *****. Yea pretty much.... Respect the man who entertains you by going into a ring and puts life on line. If thats not enough for you, then pleaseee, show us how its done.
          Well said !!!

Comment

Unfortunately in prizefighting, health hazards are part of the job description. If one is too concerned or afraid for their long-term health, then they are in the wrong profession. They shouldn't be fighting professionally in the first place. This is why boxers are paid so handsomely to take these risks because the sport itself is so dangerous.
            Yes, but at the same time there are all types of safeguards in boxing to prevent health disasters such as death. There is a reason for the gloves with the padding. There is a reason why the referee has the ability to stop the fight if he sees either fighter taking on too much punishment, or if there is some sort of severe damage going on that is obvious (such as really bad cuts). There is a reason why trainers and/or doctors can stop the fight. Boxers aren't paid so handsomely to take these risks. They are paid handsomely, if and only if, and only according to their audience. Boxing allows for punishment, just not extreme punishment! And a broken jaw, I don't care what any moron here says, is extreme punishment. At that point a fight should always be stopped!

And FYI, there are plenty, I mean plenty, of boxers who get paid peanuts for fighting. Most fighters are paid peanuts! It is only the cream of the crop that makes eye-opening money.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
              Yes, but at the same time there are all types of safeguards in boxing to prevent health disasters such as death. There is a reason for the gloves with the padding. There is a reason why the referee has the ability to stop the fight if he sees either fighter taking on too much punishment, or if there is some sort of severe damage going on that is obvious (such as really bad cuts). There is a reason why trainers and/or doctors can stop the fight. Boxers aren't paid so handsomely to take these risks. They are paid handsomely, if and only if, and only according to their audience. Boxing allows for punishment, just not extreme punishment! And a broken jaw, I don't care what any moron here says, is extreme punishment. At that point a fight should always be stopped!

And FYI, there are plenty, I mean plenty, of boxers who get paid peanuts for fighting. Most fighters are paid peanuts! It is only the cream of the crop that makes eye-opening money.
              Good post!!!

Comment

i agree 100% with this whole article...i wish i can say the same for the comments being made....all these ppl saying ortiz is a sissy and this and that.... HE HAD A BROKEN JAW!! health always comes first

yes, there are boxers who do go through with these kinds of injuries in the rings, most of them probably regret it afterwards, no man should ever have to be criticized for being intelligent and looking out for his own health....watch, the injury more than likely would've been exacerbated if he went on and he would've had to retire, not only was he looking out for his well being, but his career as well

Comment

Originally posted by SixFootGiant View Post
                  So why throw away future big paydays for one fight especially when you have a bad injury in that one fight. Once again, the great question is asked: For who? For what?
                  Well he did just that. With this loss, he threw away a potential big payday with Saul Alvarez, on the horizon by tapping out of this fight, with just three rounds to go and with him being comfortably ahead on the official judges scorecards. All he had to do was to finish all twelve rounds on his feet and he would've been awarded not only the win but the future big payday with Alvarez as well.

Secondly, you asked for who? For none other than himself; As a professional fighter, he knew all the risks involved with this sport but yet he chose a career to compete in it anyway. Also, for the fans; He owed it to them since he is getting paid so much money to assume all the necessary risks and sacrifices to his health in ensuring his best for a victory.

Lastly you asked for what? He shouldn't have done it because it not only harms his reputation but his legacy as well. He will not be remembered as a fighter who stepped between that squared circle and gave it his all but one who would hold a lot of himself back and crack anytime he was facing any type of strong opposition and adversity.

In closing, to the sport itself; A boxer should not be awarded for quitting against an over matched and outclassed opponent whom he is clearly dominating. In the long run, it brings more shame and dishonor upon the sport itself.

Comment

Well he did just that. With this loss, he threw away a potential big payday with Saul Alvarez, on the horizon by tapping out of this fight, with just three rounds to go and with him being comfortably ahead on the official judges scorecards. All he had to do was to finish all twelve rounds on his feet and he would've been awarded not only the win but the future big payday with Alvarez as well.

Secondly, you asked for who? For none other than himself; As a professional fighter, he knew all the risks involved with this sport but yet he chose a career to compete in it anyway. Also, for the fans; He owed it to them since he is getting paid so much money to assume all the necessary risks and sacrifices to his health in ensuring his best for a victory.

Lastly you asked for what? He shouldn't have done it because it not only harms his reputation but his legacy as well. He will not be remembered as a fighter who stepped between that squared circle and gave it his all but one who would hold a lot of himself back and crack anytime he was facing any type of strong opposition and adversity.

In closing, to the sport itself; A boxer should not be awarded for quitting against an over matched and outclassed opponent whom he is clearly dominating. In the long run, it brings more shame and dishonor upon the sport itself.
                    no, just no, for one thing no one knows what kind of pain ortiz was in, u can't put urself inside someones body and u can't feel what they feel, so really no one can criticize ortiz for this....regardless of how physical the sport it

for one thing, the injury was in his jaw, the most vulnerable target in boxing, if he did continue, he might have needed more extensive surgery, might have needed more recovery time, his jaw might have been severely injured to the point where he wouldn't be able to box again. if anything, hes a very smart and intelligent person for recognizing that something was wrong and that he should look out for his health and his long term career, he did just that, i applaud him

Comment

Bunch of ignorants tryin to diss Ortiz because of that, and I'm convinced that those who criticized him won't even stand a punch on the nose by a 3 year old baby...

Comment

Working...
                      X