Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Victor Ortiz Made The Right Call: Health First, Dollars Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Article Fitz, I mentioned Ali going 12 Rnds with Norton, and Sweet Pea
    Fighting Felix with Broken Jaws, but forgot that both Cat's were great Defensive
    Fighters, Good Defense is obviously something Ortiz is Lacking In!!!

Comment

Ali was so stupid he failed the military entrance exam twice. The idea of even a mentally well Ali as an ambassador is laughable, and I'm willing to bet he would do it all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by theocdog View Post
        I'm looking forward to seeing Ortiz fight again. He's always in exciting fights. It sucks that he's not willing to go out on his shield but he's not the only one. Cotto has said it more than once that he's not willing to risk his health in the ring but no one hates on him the way some ppl are hating on Ortiz.
        I think if Ortiz didn't quit against Maidana then no one would have said anything about him stopping the fight for a broken jaw. Also, the B.S.he pulled against Floyd didn't help his cause either. That was a ball dropper after that great win over Andre Berto. Something is off about him mentally.

Comment

I disagree. Broken jaw or not; He should have continued fighting because he was winning the fight and was well ahead on the official judges scorecards. I just cannot understand Victor Ortiz because most prizefighter's wills are not that easily broken and rarely give in to fear or pain during competition. It was not like he was being outclassed or over matched or anything. He should have just persevered for those next three rounds in order to secure the victory and stage that Saul Canelo bout in September. This is where focus and mental toughness abide and as a fighter, he showed no sense of purpose or urgency at all; Which I find very worrisome. Had he been badly losing and taking a one-sided beating, then it would have been a very easy for him to pack it in to fight another day; Especially with his jaw broken.

Comment

Originally posted by GRUSTLER View Post
            I think if Ortiz didn't quit against Maidana then no one would have said anything about him stopping the fight for a broken jaw. Also, the B.S.he pulled against Floyd didn't help his cause either. That was a ball dropper after that great win over Andre Berto. Something is off about him mentally.
            Grustler hit the nail on the head with this one. Quitting over a broken jaw isn't something most people would have held against him. People forget that even Arthur Abraham tried to quit in his fight against Miranda (he revoked it when he realized it would result in a TKO loss for him, but he was all for quitting when he thought it would go to the cards). But he flat out quit against Maidana and mentally fell apart against Floyd--just collapsed. While Floyd ko'd him with a bush league suckerpunch, it is hard to say that Ortiz didn't deserve it completely. He did. Given that past, Ortiz will never get the benefit of the doubt. He'll need 4 or 5 Berto moments going forward for me to believe he's overcome his mental weakness. Kinda reminds me of Zab Judah--lots of great skills (Zab's are better), but lacking the mental toughness to be truly outstanding.

Comment

The Photo of Ortiz looks like he just got a Money Shot given to him by John Holmes

If Ortiz was any other nationality, it would be forgiven, but Mexicans are suppose to be tough. When a Mexican fighter quits in the Ring and is not on the Downside of his career, it shows weakness. Its messed up i know, but it is what it is. I would of quit after the first uppercut by Lopez and Ortiz has prolonged his career by deciding to fight another day. That being said, Victor lost nearly all of his Mexicans fans by quitting on his stool again. I like Victor as a person, but as a boxer, i would rather be a fan of Josesito Lopez.

Comment

Originally posted by apocalypto View Post
                Yeah man lets encourage fighters to quit when it get tough in there. Bc after all he will get another shot on a premium network.
                Lol, you're a clown. I'd love to break your jaw in two places and then see you want to fight for 9 more minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
                  I disagree. Broken jaw or not; He should have continued fighting.
                  Wow, just wow...

Comment

No Idea!!!

Originally posted by jcamarena79 View Post
                    let's put it plain and simple " HE'S A SISSY " no heart ....try ballet dancing Ortiz !!
                    You are one of those "Keyboard warriors" that this article is targeting. Please go to your local gym, and do some sparring, and then call Ortiz, or any other of these great warriors a sissy, bum, or any other bad term that should be reserved for fake boxing fans that have no idea what taking a punch entails.
                    I think you should take up watching ballet dancing, because you might have an idea what that is all about.

Comment

Unfortunately in prizefighting, health hazards are part of the job description. If one is too concerned or afraid for their long-term health, then they are in the wrong profession. They shouldn't be fighting professionally in the first place. This is why boxers are paid so handsomely to take these risks because the sport itself is so dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                      X