Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Victor Ortiz Made The Right Call: Health First, Dollars Later

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shogunofharlem1 View Post
    That and the fact that the signs were there he was going to either shutdown or look for a way out. (The inane fouling along with huge retreats whenever Lopez showed any type of confidence)
    Ortiz actually won that round clearly, the one where he hit Lopez in the back of the head with the foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
      Just a bad coincidence this happened to Vic considering his history, so that itself makes it hard for people to take this lightly.
      yea i understand that but after a day or two i figure people get over but i guess not, i honestly don't think it was that bad yea he quit but he had a broken jaw and i know other fighters have fought with a broken jaw but i don't believe that most boxers would. the maidana situation was much worst this recent situation was more justifiable

Comment

Ortiz need to go learn the basics first, learn how to protect himself at all times and close his mouth when trading punches. He needs to learn that headbutting, hitting behind the head and using his elbows is illegal in the boxing ring. He needs to learn not to quit like he did in the Maidana fight because when he really gets injured like he did this past Saturday people aren't gonna believe him. It sounds like it was a serious injury, if that's the case his boxing career is probably over..

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          Ortiz actually won that round clearly, the one where he hit Lopez in the back of the head with the foul.
          I dont really mean winning the round so much as his demeanor. We all know ortiz will quit even when hes winning a fight because thats his nature(he cant just be winning, he has to be in control of the tempo or he gets frustrated). There were quite a few points he went full on retreat mode even when he didnt have to because Lopez's willpower was starting to show. He did it with lamont peterson even though he was winniing that entire fight (than saw peterson wasnt going anywhere) and than shut down the last five rounds and shat on his own victory. He did it with Maidana because Maidana kept getting up and wouldnt quit. And many (like myself) believe he did it with floyd when the fight was still young because he got more than he bargained for and used the two-piece to get out the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
            By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Here’s a news flash, folks… I love sports.

I played football, baseball and hockey to moderate success as a youngster, picked up distance running as an intermittent hobby in my 30s and have been fortunate enough to scratch out something resembling a post-college living watching and writing about athletes in action.

But I’ve always had a special affection for boxing.

Whether it was the feel of hitting a heavy bag, landing a right hand or simply sitting back with the wife and watching a couple high-enders mix it up on pay-per-view TV, it’s had me since hello.

I never kidded myself into thinking I had mettle to compete on anything near a respectable level, but through some middling training in a north Philly gym, a sparring match in Tampa with a female world champion and years of simply being around fighters and trainers, I do have a feel for what it requires.

And even in the midst of his second major career crisis, I think Victor Ortiz has it.

Yes, I was watching his fight with Josesito Lopez on Saturday night – P.S., I heart Sky Sports – and yes, I was as stunned as a battered Lopez appeared to be when referee Jack Reiss waved his arms to signal the fight would not continue into its final nine minutes at Staples Center.

I’ll even concede that my split-second gut reaction was… “Holy ****, this guy’s career is over.” [Click Here To Read More]
            quitting three times means those big dollars ain't coming his way anymore.

Comment

Good article but unfortunately I'm not sure those who need to read it most possess the IQ to fully digest it.

Comment

ortiz is a bum , he could've toughen it up and won the fight

Comment

Is this gonna be the Ali, Malinaggi, Abraham thread again? Ortiz will be back.

Comment

ortiz was never that great...i dont understand how he keeps gettin opportunities...he quits against maidana at 140 then moves up and immediately gets a shot at a title at another overhyped fighter in berto...then gets a shot ,at mayweather and gets ko'd...then hes rewarded with a shot at canelo...he got what he deserved...goldenboy shouldve never announced that fight...hes actually lucky lopez broke his jaw cause canelo wouldve murdered his ass...also lets not 4get hes a dirty fighter...that shot behind the head he hit lopez with was blatant

Comment

Ortiz will always be the kind of fighter to get discouraged as long as he can't stop you with his power. He relies on his punch too much. I'm sure everyone posting on here would not fight with a broken jaw so to criticize him for stopping the fight is ridiculous. Yes, there were and are fighters who would have kept going but Victor Ortiz ain't one of them. Case closed.

Comment

Working...
                      X