Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice to see floyd mention that augustus fight

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      He answered you for me. Green K coming Tony!!
      Same thing I said before.

It's not only Mayweather fans who say that.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        All I'm saying is if a 2012 Cotto was his toughest opponent, I can only imagine what a 2008 Cotto would've been.
        Would have been a much easier fight for Floyd. The major difference with Cotto 2012 and Cotto 2008 is the Cuban trainer Diaz. His training and strategy is clearly better and different.

Comment

All I'm saying is if a 2012 Cotto was his toughest opponent, I can only imagine what a 2008 Cotto would've been.
          An easier fight. Today's Cotto is miles away in terms of technique, skill, confidence, and relation with his trainer.

Comment

well then is wouldnt be a 35 year old 2012 floyd in there either

Comment

In watching the fight, the biggest reason Cotto was his toughest challenge is because Floyd isnt the fighter he was even five years ago. His l hand speed is much slower, his punching power is much weaker, and his foot speed is non existent. At the age of 35, guys like Floyd, Roy Jones Jr, will have lost significant speed and power and it showed in Roy when he fought Tarver, and it showed in Floyd against Cotto. Floyd was never as fast or as athletic as Roy, but he is probably the fastest and most athletic since Roy, but his technique is probably the best ever, which will still allow him to get wins, but he will now be like a James Toney because his speed and power just arent there anymore. He is almost feather fisted at this point because he never was a huge puncher. More of an ok puncher with pinpoint accuracy. Roy had great power, with unbelievable handspeed, footspeed and reflexes. But for both of them, at the age of 35, you will no longer have your legs, your speed, or your power.

Comment

So going back in time only does good for Cotto and not Mayweather? How so?

Anyway, at 147? Floyd would still beat him by UD IMO. Floyd would outbox him and not trade with him like he did in Vegas last week.

I give a lot of credit to Pedro Diaz and Cotto's new team. It's not a resurrected Cotto but they made him more efficient and tweaked the tools. Evangelista Cotto (his uncle) was OK but Joe Santiago was pitiful as a trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by KiloTeague View Post
                  In watching the fight, the biggest reason Cotto was his toughest challenge is because Floyd isnt the fighter he was even five years ago. His l hand speed is much slower, his punching power is much weaker, and his foot speed is non existent. At the age of 35, guys like Floyd, Roy Jones Jr, will have lost significant speed and power and it showed in Roy when he fought Tarver, and it showed in Floyd against Cotto. Floyd was never as fast or as athletic as Roy, but he is probably the fastest and most athletic since Roy, but his technique is probably the best ever, which will still allow him to get wins, but he will now be like a James Toney because his speed and power just arent there anymore. He is almost feather fisted at this point because he never was a huge puncher. More of an ok puncher with pinpoint accuracy. Roy had great power, with unbelievable handspeed, footspeed and reflexes. But for both of them, at the age of 35, you will no longer have your legs, your speed, or your power.
                  Given the 10oz gloves and his weight, I was still quite surprised how fast he really was. His reflexes are still superior.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Source View Post
                    So going back in time only does good for Cotto and not Mayweather? How so?

Anyway, at 147? Floyd would still beat him by UD IMO. Floyd would outbox him and not trade with him like he did in Vegas last week.

I give a lot of credit to Pedro Diaz and Cotto's new team. It's not a resurrected Cotto but they made him more efficient and tweaked the tools. Evangelista Cotto (his uncle) was OK but Joe Santiago was pitiful as a trainer.
                    Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
                    well then is wouldnt be a 35 year old 2012 floyd in there either
                    Originally posted by zphd View Post
                    An easier fight. Today's Cotto is miles away in terms of technique, skill, confidence, and relation with his trainer.
                    Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
                    Would have been a much easier fight for Floyd. The major difference with Cotto 2012 and Cotto 2008 is the Cuban trainer Diaz. His training and strategy is clearly better and different.
                    Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                    Actually think Mayweather would have had an easier time.
                    Originally posted by Oxn View Post
                    well then you would have to compare it to a 2008 Floyd.

Floyd can be younger, that's fine.

The Pre-Margarito of Cotto was no push over and was mentally stronger than he was now.

Cotto and his uncle had a good system. They didn't get along outside of the ring, but inside the ring, their only loss was too a cheating Margarito. Saying Diaz is the sole reason why saturday's fight was close as if Evangista couldn't have provided the same in 2008 is foolish.

I've always said that Cotto would provide a better match for Mayweather than Bradley would Pac. I've always said that even in 2012, Cotto would be a good match for Mayweather stylistically.

I feel the same about 2008. Cotto was a beast in 08, before the Marg fight. It would've been a damn good fight; I don't see Mayweather beating him easier than he did Saturday. I just don't think it would've played out like that.

Comment

Definitely Cotto gave him an extremely tough fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X