Collapse
No announcement yet.

ROACH: "Mayweather has no more lateral movement"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not saying its not true but where is the link to Roach actually saying this again recently? Sorry if I dont trust Karceno all the way but he's always reposting old stories like they are new. Then puts a UK link up but it goes to his own site. I wouldnt doubt that he said it but I also wouldnt doubt Karceno doing this. Thats why we need real links

Comment

Thing is that boxing is not like basketball, baseball or football season where you can watch a player over the course of many games and get a good reading of where they are in their career. Mayweather fights less than once a year and then, could be, as in the Ortiz fight, less than 20 mins in that fight. I don't think that this is a lot to base an opinion on about an athlete.

I think he definitely isn't going to move around as much as he did when he was in his mid -20s, nature dictates that, but no lateral movement? doubt that's true.

Statements about all the great things Mayweather will do in this fight or what Roach says, he can't do, are very speculative. I just do not have a great feeling of where Mayweather is as a fighter or an athlete. He's talented, but age changes athletes. He's somewhat brave but not a real warrior. Fight night could present some surprises, but I don't think Mayweather breezes through this fight.

Comment

All I'm saying is, he can get away with that against certain fighters. Once he fight a guy who has fast footwork like Manny or Martinez, he'd have to change his strategy or risk getting KO. Mosley, Cotto, Ortiz, none of those guys have fast lateral movement.
        Last edited by Carpe Diem; 04-07-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I'm not going too believe this until I see Mayweather unable to move when he needs to. I'm confident he still can move if he has to, he just doesn't have to.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
            I'm not going too believe this until I see Mayweather unable to move when he needs to. I'm confident he still can move if he has to, he just doesn't have to.
            This^^^^^

There were more than a few times where Ortiz exploded forward and threw punches, and Mayweather moved back and got out of dodge. And even the times when Floyd can't get out dodge, or the ring is cut off from him, how many punches do his opponents land on him while he's trapped/on the ropes??? Not many. Even when Floyd haters went ape s**t when Victor caught him in the final seconds of the 4th, there were 2-3 punches there that landed in that whole flurry.

That just speaks volumes on how ineffective most all fighters are against Floyd. The only time I've seen a fighter effective against Floyd for the majority of a fight was the first Castillo fight. And he cut the ring off, came forward all night, apllied effective pressure, and trapped Floyd on the ropes. That's how I think you beat him.

Comment

quite fitting that the photo has freddie talking on the mic and manny p*ssing himself

Comment

He has a point. Floyd rarely uses lateral movement. What he's conveniently ignoring is that Floyd made an adjustment after round 4 in the DLH fight, coincidentally a fight where roach was the trainer, to incorporate more lateral in his boxing.

Floyd's upper body slickness, parrying, shoulder rolling, clinching, and ability to fight off the ropes allow him not to be as reliant on lateral movement for defense. Keep in mind that we're hearing about it all from roach's perspective. None of his fighters have upper body slickness, parrying, shoulder rolling, clinching, and rope fighting skills, so movement is the holy grail of defense in his mind.

Comment

I think Roach is fooling himself he fought like that because he chose to not because he had to. Just like he could have tied Ortiz up everytime he got close like he did with hatton but he chose not to.

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
                    Lol...The Mayweather crew came to the rescue IMMEDIATELY!..wow...
                    They hold the record of "the Most Defensive" Boxing fans after their Idol. They turn into doctors, lawyers, conditioning experts, psychoanalyst, forensic, astronomers, PED experts, some of them even turn like modern Mayans and reformat the length of a decade into eleven years, veterinary scientist cross referencing conditioning of animals in sports to human.

Comment

So I see roach still can't stop talking about Mayweather. He does know PAC is fighting Bradley right.

Comment

Working...
                      X