No announcement yet.

What does lineal champ mean to you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
    he did say he intended to return, but its not like the guy went one weight class away, he went two, and in fact he never did return.

i dont view it as the same thing as floyd leaving because floyd wasnt fighting at all and came back to the exact same weight class. p will never did either. he simply left and didnt return.
    Using your logic, Pacquaio could fight Vicky Ortiz for the Lineal Welterweight Title.

Comment

he did say he intended to return, but its not like the guy went one weight class away, he went two, and in fact he never did return.

i dont view it as the same thing as floyd leaving because floyd wasnt fighting at all and came back to the exact same weight class. p will never did either. he simply left and didnt return.
      He moved to Light Middleweight, not Middleweight. To fight Phillips.

It is literally the exact same thing as what Mayweather is doing now with Cotto.

He's ranked at WW, is moving to 154 and intends to return. Should he be removed from the rankings? I don't think so, personally.

Of course, just being Floyd Mayweather does make the situation slightly different.

Like I said, I did consider Margarito-Cotto for the Lineage. But, I understand why people don't.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
        He moved to Light Middleweight, not Middleweight. To fight Phillips.

It is literally the exact same thing as what Mayweather is doing now with Cotto.

He's ranked at WW, is moving to 154 and intends to return. Should he be removed from the rankings? I don't think so, personally.

Of course, just being Floyd Mayweather does make the situation slightly different.

Like I said, I did consider Margarito-Cotto for the Lineage. But, I understand why people don't.
        his first fight away from 147 was at 160, and kole or w/e his name was.

Comment

his first fight away from 147 was at 160, and kole or w/e his name was.
          Which was after Margarito-Cotto if Im not mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
            Using your logic, Pacquaio could fight Vicky Ortiz for the Lineal Welterweight Title.
            not exactly the same thing. even if floyd was to leave, victor ortiz isnt exactly the bonafide #2 guy in the division. not similar at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
              Which was after Margarito-Cotto if Im not mistaken?
              it was, but he had already made it clear he was leaving the division.

Comment

not exactly the same thing. even if floyd was to leave, victor ortiz isnt exactly the bonafide #2 guy in the division. not similar at all.
                Neither was Margarito. He was just #2 by default because Williams moved up. Its EXACTLY the same.

Comment

it was, but he had already made it clear he was leaving the division.
                  Wtf? No he really really did not. He made it very clear that he wasn't leaving the division actually.

Comment

you're either the guy who beat the guy

or the winner of a box of between the the first and second ranked guys

obviously if these guys are solid and deserving it will carry more weight

and likewise, beating a better fighter to win the title directly is better than picking it up off of some poor soul at the end of his run, or the carlos baldomir and corey spinks' of the world

spinks was the lineal WW champion
                    and came oh so close to beating jermain taylor for the lineal MW title. JT hardly trained for that fight.

Comment

he should if he stays at 154 irregardless of what he says. i mean seriously, pwill didnt just leave, he went to 160 and he campaigned there, thats 2 weight classes away, who believed he was coming back? i never did.
                      To "stay" at 154, you would have to have more then 1 fight there

Paul williams moved up above on 9/25/08 yet Cotto fought Marg on 7/26/08 for the "lineal title"

He didnt just fight there and just didnt return. The "lineage between Marg and cotto was established before williams even fought above 147, let alone campaigned there

Therefore it would be the exact situation if Pac and Ortiz fought for the lineal title right now
                      Last edited by Russian Crushin; 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X