Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Offense Is No Longer A Skill Of Boxing"-Haters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of guys really aren't that skillfull offensively even if offense is their calling card, throwing a bunch of punches hard hoping to have good results isn't really skillful offense, although it can be very effective. Using positive attributes is not the same as being skillful, power is an attribute not a skill~ application of power punching is a skill

Is a guy using his offense thoughtfully one attack setting up other future attacks, breaking down whatever defense the other guy has by creating openings without being overly wasteful. Hell very few guys even have the right to be called skillful on offense currently.

Stats don't tell that story, eyeballs on fights do~

Comment

• Originally posted by Brockton Lip View Post
      Some good points in this thread from both sides but people do seriously underrate offense on here. It happens all the time. Since we have a lot of defensive fighters today that are winning (at least in the U.S.), people jump on the defense bandwagon and talk about how great it is.
      People dont realize it takes a lot of skill to be a good offensive fighter. Getting inside on a larger opponent, creating openings for your punches, etc.

Skill in offensive fighting is often overlooked and currently today in America there is a huge bias towards defense likely due to Mayweather winning and constantly talking about defense and skills. Its common on message boards these days to see people repeat what someone like Mayweather says, talk about defense, and pretend to have skills and know what they're talking about.
      But again the thought that a fighter like Mayweather "only" wins with defense is just ******.
      Last edited by joseph5620; 01-04-2012, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Lots of guys really aren't that skillfull offensively even if offense is their calling card, throwing a bunch of punches hard hoping to have good results isn't really skillful offense, although it can be very effective. Using positive attributes is not the same as being skillful, power is an attribute not a skill~ application of power punching is a skill

Is a guy using his offense thoughtfully one attack setting up other future attacks, breaking down whatever defense the other guy has by creating openings without being overly wasteful. Hell very few guys even have the right to be called skillful on offense currently.

Stats don't tell that story, eyeballs on fights do~

eyeballs are overrated...i judge fights based on NSB polls the next day

Comment

• Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          Why would you judge fights based on something as ****** as that?

Why not use real judging criteria like how the fighter looks?

My judging critiera is; I wait until the compbubox numbers come out, put a picture of the fighters together immediately after the fights finished then the person who threw and/or landed more punches and whoever looks worse I score the fight to.

If Fighter A threw more and Fighter B landed more and both faces are similar I score it a draw.

If Fighter A threw and landed more than Fighter B but Fighter A's face is a mess I score it an SD that could have gone either way.

And so on.

Therfore on my card - Williams SD Lara.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Why would you judge fights based on something as ****** as that?

Why not use real judging criteria like how the fighter looks?

My judging critiera is; I wait until the compbubox numbers come out, put a picture of the fighters together immediately after the fights finished then the person who threw and/or landed more punches and whoever looks worse I score the fight to.

If Fighter A threw more and Fighter B landed more and both faces are similar I score it a draw.

If Fighter A threw and landed more than Fighter B but Fighter A's face is a mess I score it an SD that could have gone either way.

And so on.

Therfore on my card - Williams SD Lara.

this guy

Comment

• Originally posted by Brockton Lip View Post
              Some good points in this thread from both sides but people do seriously underrate offense on here. It happens all the time. Since we have a lot of defensive fighters today that are winning (at least in the U.S.), people jump on the defense bandwagon and talk about how great it is.
              People dont realize it takes a lot of skill to be a good offensive fighter. Getting inside on a larger opponent, creating openings for your punches, etc.

Skill in offensive fighting is often overlooked and currently today in America there is a huge bias towards defense likely due to Mayweather winning and constantly talking about defense and skills. Its common on message boards these days to see people repeat what someone like Mayweather says, talk about defense, and pretend to have skills and know what they're talking about.

YUP.

OFFENSE > DEFENSE

Combat is based on OFFENSE.

You can't have OFFENSE alone obviously but it's more important than defense. it's more exciting.

LOL @ the idiots saying it takes more skill to dodge a punch than it takes to throw a punch.

It takes more skill to hit a moving target. Yeah that takes no skill.

Idiots.

Comment

• *Sobbing* Manny is as equally skilled as all of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by thatnickuh View Post
                  Pacquiao's offense is overrated. How does he have the "best" offense when his jab, right hand, and ability to fight on the inside is subpar?
                  i agree. at first i acctually wrote pacquiaos offense isnt the best in the sport but then i changed it.

if i wrote pacquiaos offense is overrated all the *******s would jump on that chance to change the subject and avoid the real point of the post, which was to expose the flawed logic of the TS.

but you are right, pacquiaos blend of speed, power and workrate is the best in boxing. but his offensive skillset is not.

Comment

NSB polls make me want to stuff kittens in jars~ although it is funny when you see a poll that is public and seeing who you can guess is on each side. Easy but funny~

Comment

• Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                      i agree. at first i acctually wrote pacquiaos offense isnt the best in the sport but then i changed it.

if i wrote pacquiaos offense is overrated all the *******s would jump on that chance to change the subject and avoid the real point of the post, which was to expose the flawed logic of the TS.

but you are right, pacquiaos blend of speed, power and workrate is the best in boxing. but his offensive skillset is not.
                      and this is why he lacks versatility and he struggles in certain types of fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X