Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather was offered around 7 Million Dollars to fight Margarito!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    The issue was always what sort of guarantees Arum was going to pay him going forward for the big fights. And Arum wanted to short him, which is why he left.

Arum admitted that Mayweather was willing to fight Margarito.
    But why not Margarito instead of Judah?

7 million was on the table, don't know what he got paid for Judah but 7 million or worse I'd imagine.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post

7 million was on the table, don't know what he got paid for Judah but 7 million or worse I'd imagine.

We don't even know if 7 million was really on the table. That's based on Bob Arum. He was already ripping off Mayweather and he admit to it.

Mayweather filed a lawsuit against Arum on March 7 in Clark County (Nev.) District Court, claiming he is owed money from his two pay-per-view fights with his former promoter, against Arturo Gatti in 2005 and Zab Judah in 2006

Arum counters that his company, Top Rank Inc., does owe Mayweather money, but that the Grand Rapids boxing champion owes the company even more, so payment was withheld. He said he plans to countersue Mayweather and other unspecified individuals involved with the boxer..
      Obviously, Arum saying he was offering 7 million wasn't worth much at that time.

The fight with Judah was set to be made and even a week after Judah lost, everyone said the fight was still on. Obviously most involved still wanted Judah over Margarito, probably thinking the loss could be explained away by Knucklehead Judah overlooking an opponent he was supposed to win easily against.

Margarito was signed to fight Manuel Gomez in November but it was canceled when the main event was scrapped. It was pushed to February, which would have been 1.5 months before Floyds Fight with Judah. Not only did times not work out, but no one was looking to make this fight. Not HBO and not Arum even.

Comment

The Judah bout was agreed upon prior to the Baldomir loss. And, for some reason, that loss didn't quell the hype for it. It was after Judah that Mayweather & Arum began negotiating for Margarito and future bouts.

Comment

The Judah bout was agreed upon prior to the Baldomir loss. And, for some reason, that loss didn't quell the hype for it. It was after Judah that Mayweather & Arum began negotiating for Margarito and future bouts.
          Verbally yes but not contractually.

It began before Judah, it began when Mayweather moved to 147 to fight Mitchell. This was before Hatton, Oscar and Cotto were real options.

Comment

• Originally posted by travestyny View Post
            We don't even know if 7 million was really on the table. That's based on Bob Arum. He was already ripping off Mayweather and he admit to it.

Obviously, Arum saying he was offering 7 million wasn't worth much at that time.

The fight with Judah was set to be made and even a week after Judah lost, everyone said the fight was still on. Obviously most involved still wanted Judah over Margarito, probably thinking the loss could be explained away by Knucklehead Judah overlooking an opponent he was supposed to win easily against.

Margarito was signed to fight Manuel Gomez in November but it was canceled when the main event was scrapped. It was pushed to February, which would have been 1.5 months before Floyds Fight with Judah. Not only did times not work out, but no one was looking to make this fight. Not HBO and not Arum even.
            I don't know about any of that but either way that was the fight to make many people felt. I don't know the it's and it's of the money.

Arun wanted it, and HBO would have got behind it for sure if it happened.

Comment

Verbally yes but not contractually.

It began before Judah, it began when Mayweather moved to 147 to fight Mitchell. This was before Hatton, Oscar and Cotto were real options.
              I followed that situation pretty closely. That fight wasn’t happening in April — wasn’t feasible. After Margarito disposed of Gomez in Feb. and Mayweather got rid of Judah a couple months later, then it was viable.

Comment

• this is the only fighter people have left to say floyd ducked and its not a good one. i guess williams

Comment

I followed that situation pretty closely. That fight wasn’t happening in April — wasn’t feasible. After Margarito disposed of Gomez in Feb. and Mayweather got rid of Judah a couple months later, then it was viable.
                  As did I and I disagree totally.

It was first discussed in 2005 and could have easily been made for 2006 Instead of Judah.

After the Judah fught, they renegotiated and that's when Arum was trying to pull the cheap stuff with Floyd and he subsequently left

Comment

As did I and I disagree totally.

It was first discussed in 2005 and could have easily been made for 2006 Instead of Judah.

After the Judah fught, they renegotiated and that's when Arum was trying to pull the cheap stuff with Floyd and he subsequently left
                    You mean after he beat Gatti when Floyd moved up to welter? Yeah, it could have been made, just like any fight any welter could have been made. But there was no clamor for it is what I'm saying. You're just picking a random period and saying they could have made it then. They were building up to it and then Arum tried to lowball Mayweather. End of story.

Comment

You mean after he beat Gatti when Floyd moved up to welter? Yeah, it could have been made, just like any fight any welter could have been made. But there was no clamor for it is what I'm saying. You're just picking a random period and saying they could have made it then. They were building up to it and then Arum tried to lowball Mayweather. End of story.
                      I can't see how that's random when in 2005 he was offered the Margarito fight and there was talks between the two and the fight was building amongst the fans so It's not random.

When he moved up and fought Mitchell it was being discussed, he chose Mitchell which is cool as it was his first fight at 147 but the fight was there and being talked about.

The low ball offers attached to Oscar and Hatton were post Judah. I'm saying the fight could have happened pre Judah or instead of Judah.

Comment

Working...
                      X