No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kelly Pavlik - The End Of An Error

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
    My pleasure and I agree, a lot of knuckleheads on here, sometimes makes it tough to engage in compelling convo. But plenty of good-to-great posters here as well, just have to sift through the nonsense.

The only thing I will say is that Pavlik has already been called on his BS. He keeps claiming that Kessler was offered $3.5 million for the Bute fight. There's no way in hell Showtime offered that much - Bute's contract is 3 fights $6 million. no way in hell they're going to offer Kessler twice as much as Bute for the fight, And certainly no way in hell that Kessler would've turned down that payday. Had it been true, believe me we'd be writing about it.

Pretty sure that $3.5 million is the total available pot for a Bute-Pavlik fight and that it's a 60/40 split for Bute. Of the 40%, Pavlik splits that 80/20 with Top Rank, which is standard for any fighter/promoter agreement. That's how they came to the $1.35 million cut for him, while they get $270k or so.

His problem is that he has no sense of his own worth these days. He hasn't done **** in years, and for this fight in his hometown had only sold 1,000 or so tickets. His fan base has dwindled with each passing fight, yet he remains stuck in 2007.

HBO overpaid for his 2008 defense against Gary Lockett. Top Rank and Golden Boy took a bath on the Hopkins-Pavlik PPV. Top Rank and DiBella took a bath on the Pavlik-Taylor II PPV.

Dude is a "name" but by no means any longer a draw. That and the fact that the Taylor rematch win was his last major achievement (more than three years ago) and he's all out of valid excuses for attempting to claim that he's being underpaid.

All he can do is compare to what he's been paid in the past, and everyone in the media has ripped on guys like Andre Berto, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, Alfredo Angulo, etc. for the exact same thing.

For the quoting paragraphs, thing, all you do is begin each paragraph with brackets [] surrounding the word quote, and then end it with brackets surrounding /quote. I'd do it exactly as it should be, but would wind up quoting this paragraph. But hopefully that makes sense.

Pleasure chatting witcha!
    Just to make it clear I was not talking about the Bute fight or what Kessler may have been offered to fight Bute. I was only talking about Pavlik pulling out of the fight this weekend and the reasons he gave for doing so. And as far as Showtime only paying Pavlik $50,000 I think I paid about that much for my cable service last year so it clearly is just a drop in the bucket. No I am only kidding I only paid about half that or at least it felt that way. Have a good one!

Comment

Pavlik,

there aren't too many white guys in boxing, so I'm an all out Pavlik fan till the end.

Comment

Originally posted by CasualBoxingFan View Post
        Pavlik,

there aren't too many white guys in boxing, so I'm an all out Pavlik fan till the end.

Hope " the end " is not today. He is a risky sign for both promoter and opponent, and appears to be highly over-valuing his worth.

Comment

I give up on the Pavlik issue, who knows whats up there, but this is an interesting interview.....
          http://www.fighthype.com/pages/conte...de50886b20d4a5

Kelly reckons that Manny is broke ?

How the hell would he know ?

Comment

Pavlik is a mess of person tattoed emaciated looking alcoholic quitter high school drop out just an all around loser who quit on evweryone bye bye tattoo man drink to that.

Comment

Originally posted by fastblack View Post
              Pavlik is a mess of person tattoed emaciated looking alcoholic quitter high school drop out just an all around loser who quit on evweryone bye bye tattoo man drink to that.
              This is your 100th post on the topic this week. I think it was a dick move to do what he did and I dislike his attitude, but your obsession is a bit weird. Did he beat your favourite fighter? Insult your mother?

Comment

I'm with Kelly on this one, he was being treated like some clubfighter/journeyman who had never held a title in his life. He was the unified mw champion for pete's sake! And screw Bute and his promoter as well! Bute makes a comfortable living knocking out C fighters and he thinks HE's too big for Pavlik!

Comment

whats with the sob story?

Your a boxer and you fight for money. Kelly says he apparently has enough money saved up where he didnt need the fight. just take the guy at his word. if the promoter is screwing him, thats his problem, not ours.

why the heck should people be worried about him. if he aint boxing, no one needs to be paying attention to him

Comment

Wrote an article about it myself, since everyone else is piling on Pavlik and kicking him while he's down.

If anyone's interested:

Kelly Pavlik, Welcome to the Grand Delusion (click)

Thanks.

Comment

Looks like Andre Ward may be heading down the same path, minus the alcoholism and getting his ass kicked by a senior citizen.

Like Pavlik, Ward is also stubborn, delusional about his popularity, and shooting himself in foot in regards to his career.

Comment

Working...
                      X