Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kelly Pavlik - The End Of An Error

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't understand all the hoopla about Pavlik pulling out of this fight. After all his opponent is an old scrub and Pavlik would be better off fighting Richie Cunningham instead of Darryl. At least there would be some name recognition. And because of that I do agree with the point in the article that Pavlik has not earned his shot at Bute, and fighting Cunningham was doing nothing to change that fact. With that said I believe the rest of the article has big enough holes in it to drive a truck through.

I will start by saying that Mr. Donovan said that Pavlik's run at middleweight was one of the most disgraceful in history. I have to ask, why? I realize that his run doesn't compare to say that of Hagler or Monzon. But, who does and Mr. Donovan acts as if Pavlik did nothing with statements such as, "Three successful title defenses spray painted over 2-1/2 years." That statement is true but it is like a half truth. Simply because Pavlik fought six times within a 2-1/2 year period after winning the title from Taylor.

His first fight was a rematch at a catch weight with Taylor. And for all of you who don't remember Taylor was easily winning the first fight before Pavlik knocked him out. It was also Taylor's idea to fight at a higher weight. His next fight was against Lockett and I have to admit the fight was a joke. So, no more needs to be said about that. Than he moves up to fight one of the greatest fighters in history in Bhop. Why did he fight him? Maybe Arum thought Bhop was shot after the Calzaghe fight or maybe h thought Pavlik was really good enough to beat him. However, Pavlik is not and never will be the boxer Joe was and they should have known better. Anyway, I don't personally believe Pavlik has to hang his head low for losing to Bhop, even if he did get dominated. His next fight was with Rubio. A fighter who people seem to forget was ranked in Rings top ten at the time and is back there again a few years later. Espino was his next opponent. Now, Miguel had a pretty decent amateur career. But, it was still a joke fight just not as big as a joke as the Lockett fight. His last fight as champion was his lose to Martinez. And I am not one to make excuses. But I often wonder what would have happened if Pavlik wasn't cut in the fight? But, he was and he lost and even though Sergio was a late bloomer surely no disgrace in losing to him.

With all that said. I realize I may have taken the long route in trying to explain my point but this is it. Out of the six fights Pavlik had as champion only the Lockett and Espino fights were not legit. And in my opinion it may not have been the best. And he surely could have fought other fighters. But I also believe that his run was far from from disgraceful. Especially considering the fact that he was only champ for a little over two years. And just to show you how easily one can pick apart a fighters choice of opponents. Khan sure as hell should not have fought McCloskey or Salita but he did.

I also have to ask if by using the word numerous do you actually mean twice? Because you make it sound as if Pavlik has made a career out of pulling out of fights when I only remember it happening twice before this week. And actually it happened twice within a span of a couple of months with the same fight and the same reason, the staph infection in Pavlik's hand.

And I mean this as no disrespect to Mr. Donovan but I assume that you are not a medical doctor, is that correct? Because you stated that the "alibi offered" from the Pavlik camp was about the staph infection. Did you mean that as if Pavlik was just using the hand as an excuse? Because from what I have read the information that Pavlik could not make a fist and therefore was not able to fight came from Dr. Peter J. Evans. Who just happened to be the director of the Cleveland Clinic Upper Extremity Center where Pavlik was being treated. And to me that sounds like a pretty sound alibi.

There is one other point that you made about the Williams-Pavlik non fights that I found to be interesting. You commented on the fact that Pavlik fought just a few weeks after he was supposed to fight Williams on December 5th. He did in fact fight Espino on December 19th so that is in fact true. However, there is one small detail that you somehow forgot to mention. And that is the date of the 19th was offered to the Williams camp and they turned it down.

Now I have to admit that as I am getting older and my memory is not the best. With that said. And please correct me if I am mistaken. The original date of the Williams-Pavlik fight was set for October 3rd. Than the fight was postponed until December 5th. And than Pavliks camp asked for a couple of extra weeks and the Williams camp turned it down. Therefore Williams fought Martinez on the 5th and Pavlik fought Espino on the 19th. And again correct me if I am mistaken. But withdrawing from a fight twice is still way short of doing it numerous times.

One other aspect I would like to reflect on and that is Pavlik's struggles with Lopez. I have to admit that I did not watch the fight live and and from what I read I thought that Pavlik really struggled with some second rate scrub. However, after watching the fight I found out that Lopez actually is a pretty good fighter. A fighter with fast hands that boxes and moves well and even has a little pop. With that said. Pavlik could have picked a real scrub after not fighting for a year but I am of the opinion that he picked a pretty solid, but unknown fighter, and was able to handle him and almost stop him in the 10th round.

I know I get a little long winded so I will begin to finish with my rants. I will start by saying that it is no secret I am and was a Pavlik fan. But I also believe that he should be fighting ranked opponents before he fights for a championship in the SMW division. However, that is an all around problem with boxing and it really has little to do with Pavlik as I believe Mr. Donovan would suggest.

In closing I would like to say that I believe that Mr Donovan truly does not like Pavlik and he has let his dislike cloud his objectivity. With that said. I am a realist and believe that Pavlik is, and always was a very limited fighter who made the best of his abilities and won one of the most prized belts in boxing. There are also no doubts that Pavlik has some serious issues going on in his life and I wish him the best in what ever decisions he happens to make. With that said there is one issue I don't believe Pavlik has or ever had. And that is I don't believe for a second that Pavlik was ever afraid of Paul Williams and if hey had fought he would have mopped the floor with "the Punisher."
    Last edited by Ravens Fan; 08-03-2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Career over for the tattoed one sit back buy another round and toast to your toasted burnt career. nice mess alco man.

Comment

Originally posted by fastblack View Post
        Pavlik boxings Amy Winehouse the tattoed Nazi looking skin head will end up dead. too many demons to beat as opponents and no family support just a bunch of leeches sucking Pavlik's money away. Johnny Tapia has nothing on this alcoholic bum.
        You are too quick in calling him an alcoholic bum. It;s likely he turned toalcohol to help a different problem , As for comparing him to Winehouse, this is too easy and too incorrects. Winehouse attempted suicide several times, she was really tormented, but what talent, and what effort she always made to deliver.

Comment

KP is no punk and has had a very public personal problem in the past. So WTF is the big deal? Showtime with no show??? They would have no problem screwing him over if they had to so too bad ST. Play a Rocky re-run and STFU! Maybe something serious is happening as i seriously doubt he's running scared. As for the haters with their BS opinions....FU all 2xs!!!!
          I wanna see one of you wimps get in the ring with a rookie no less a pro.
          KP has already proven himself so let things lie and move the F#@K on.
          Some of you haters are such little sissy wimpy girls- i swear.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
            Tapia is a much, much greater fighter than Pavlik, but to pretend that his abuse problems are/were any less serious is pure fiction.
            Lets just say Tapia had a better work ethic. He showed up, what ever the conditions and went to war. The drugs beat his ass, but he ran from no man. Well, maybe the cops.

Comment

Yall are cold blooded

Many of you would make great champions cause of your
              no excuse for failure policies.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
                What is at all "nazi" about Pavlik? The fact that hes got a shaved head?

Oh no, call the racist police! White people can't shave their heads.
                As far as I recall, and even if I don't like to even mention their name, Nazis did not as a rule shave their heads, they got very close cripped hair when they wne tinto the Army, and were only "shaven" by comparison with others. When I was boxing I had a "crew" cut.

I think it was Erich Von Stroheim the movie actor and director, who made the Nazi CLEAN shaven (skin) head the popular concept. And of course WE had Kojak.

Comment

Pavlik is pretty much a disgrace in his own hometown a misfit abusive and disliked by many. But just look at the guy and you can see he doewsn't fit the mold of a respectable clean cut good living person. He does look like a skinhead and acts irrational and is out of control recently beating his brother and throwing him thru a window. Pavlik got demons best guess career over.

Comment

Originally posted by Juuza
                    This article is terrible, Jack is a clown working for top rank.Why don't you fight for 50.000 dollars?Fighters are being robbed every fight by these crooks and they are supposed to say yes master.
                    This is the reason why nobody wants to box anymore.These crooks don't want to pay.
                    Any crappy soccer player out of the top 10 wins a lot more money than many world champs let alone top 10 in boxing.
                    What about **** you Jack!You have some asses to lick in top rank!
                    First of all, it's Jake. Jack is the guy that trains the fighter you're defending.

Second:
                    $50,000 offered by Showtime to air this fight.
                    $50,000 was going to be Pavlik's purse for the fight.
                    =======================================
                    $ 0 TV money left over to even pay Pavlik's opponent, never mind everyone else on the card.

How exactly does that equate Top Rank stealing from Pavlik?

By his own admission, Pavlik received the following paydays in trying to defend his decision to pull out of this fight and the one with Bute:
                    $2.5 million against Gary Lockett
                    $3 million against Hopkins
                    $1.5 million against Rubio
                    $350K against Miguel Espino
                    $275K against Alfonso Lopez

Name one fight on that list where he wasn't paid well above fair market value.

This isn't about Top Rank. I defended Nonito Donaire's decision to weigh his options and thought he was in the right for trying to get out of his contract when he did, even if a mediator felt otherwise.

Comment

Pavliks trainer Jack Loew is the worst trainer in boxing ever Loew has no knowledge or ability to train and has ruined Pavlik. With idiots like Loew around no wonder pavlik is screwed up-get out of Youngstown and away from Loew to survive. Loew is like an anchor dragging pavlik down under to drown.

Comment

Working...
                      X