Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pac's upper weight success = wing chun???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wing Chun has been riding on the balls of Bruce Lee for so long now.

Bruce moved on from Wing Chun because it was so limited and yet Wing Chun practitioners have been using his popularity and living off his success ever since he died.

Please don't do the same with Manny Pacquiao.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
        We know he's a big celebrity with alot of connections and we know he's a big bruce lee fan. Would it be that big of a stretch to think bruce lee's daughter or someone connected to ip tsun offered to show pac a few things on his off time and he's found ways to incorporate them into his fight style? I mean the official bruce lee website has advertised pac's upcoming fights the past couple of years
        possibly..

i think, though, that it was Bruce Lee's ghost that taught it to him. Like in that old movie where Van Damme was the bad guy, remember?

thinks its a stretch??

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
          I have trained the Modified Wing Chun through the Jeet Kune Do way...(Bruce Lee) and Filipino Martial Arts (Arnis/Kali/Escrima). It's funny because I brought up previously that Manny trained in some form of FMA previously and thought that he was using many of the FMA. And now your theory of Wing Chun.

In my humble opinion, there's some validity to both of our theories. Just that he didn't learn and apply Wing Chun and FMA directly.

What I meant is that he is using "wing chun like" usage of the BATTLE PUNCH which utilize the CENTER LINE ATTACK and the what we call in JKD that "battle punch" is simply the rolling punches in the middle as a "blitz" attack until the opponent feeds a new "energy" or line of defense so as to work on that.

In that light, then you are right....he is using that a lot. If you look at his fight against Clottey, nothing is working and thus employing that "Battle Punch" in the middle would often open many shots to Clottey's RIBS and/or MIDSECTION.

In the FMA side, Roach's approach on angles is uncannily FMA-like in utilizing the "Trapping" of the lead arm or hand (that is very Jeet Kune Do like also or Wing Chun-like)...meaning Manny would use Angles mainly to the outside of an orthodox fighter and utilize either Manny's:

• RIGHT HOOK
          • STRAIGHT LEFT

to override the lead jab. In other words, Roach's approach is really a counter-punching with angles. But it doesn't mean Pacquiao utilizes only on the the "outside of the opponent's lead hand or jab" but he does that many times and turn it into his favor.

Pacquiao also can nullify the orthodox fighter's RIGHT CROSS to the inside but he rarely does and if does, it was mostly transitory or in the middle of his phase of footwork. That "inside move" is really outside of the orthodox's RIGHT CROSS.

But most of the time he would go OUTSIDE of the orthodox's left jab or simple to the LEFT OF HIS OPPONENT.

But back to the CENTER LINE ATTACK that uses the triceps but with the concentration of the FOOTWORK where his power is coming from. Did you see those freaking and hulking CALVES?

THat's where the power is coming from aside from his abs....utilizing a wing-chun like CENTER LINE ATTACK to overwhelm opponents with blistering speed and combination.

solid post, i agree with most of what you say, i don't see the trapping that much, but when you quantify your point with the right hook straight left hand, that makes sense, although it is a common practice in boxing to do such things, as to use a throw a way punch as a trap to pull down the lead hand of your opponent and blast him when you've created the opening, very succinct in pointing that out............

the vertical jab, or center line attack/battle punch, that has been in use all over the world in regards to scientific fighting, and i mean scientific because it's been studied, tried, and perfected, all with a certain purpose in mind. form where i learned it, it is called the UP JAB, it's a great punch because it comes from below the eyes and your opponent can't see it until it's right under their face. this was a punch that was used quite often in bare knuckle boxing, most effectively with a center line attack, the up jab used in conjunction with a DROP STEP, lots of power and body behind that jab, which was especially important back then because you needed to maximize your power with bare knuckles, they didn't have hand wraps that kept your wrist strong.......

i think the center line attack or focus of acknowledgement of it is kind of lost in boxing. it's so fundamental, i think it's just hashed over with not too much importance put on it, if it gets discussed at all, it's basically lip service.

either way, the proper techniques of fighting are found in all forms of fighting to some degree or another, some focus more on the basic fundamentals, other try and get all technical.....

i'll take the basic fundamentals all day over technical stuff...........

either way, good post......

Comment

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/315964...red-bruce-lees

Comment

Originally posted by deuce_drop View Post
              solid post, i agree with most of what you say, i don't see the trapping that much, but when you quantify your point with the right hook straight left hand, that makes sense, although it is a common practice in boxing to do such things, as to use a throw a way punch as a trap to pull down the lead hand of your opponent and blast him when you've created the opening, very succinct in pointing that out............

the vertical jab, or center line attack/battle punch, that has been in use all over the world in regards to scientific fighting, and i mean scientific because it's been studied, tried, and perfected, all with a certain purpose in mind. form where i learned it, it is called the UP JAB, it's a great punch because it comes from below the eyes and your opponent can't see it until it's right under their face. this was a punch that was used quite often in bare knuckle boxing, most effectively with a center line attack, the up jab used in conjunction with a DROP STEP, lots of power and body behind that jab, which was especially important back then because you needed to maximize your power with bare knuckles, they didn't have hand wraps that kept your wrist strong.......

i think the center line attack or focus of acknowledgement of it is kind of lost in boxing. it's so fundamental, i think it's just hashed over with not too much importance put on it, if it gets discussed at all, it's basically lip service.

either way, the proper techniques of fighting are found in all forms of fighting to some degree or another, some focus more on the basic fundamentals, other try and get all technical.....

i'll take the basic fundamentals all day over technical stuff...........

either way, good post......
              Hand trapping is obviously illegal in boxing but TRAPPING can also be done by "overriding" the lead arm...over a jab. That can be done and always been done in Wing Chun and filipino boxing/martial arts....

I have never seen it done yet in the sport of boxing but Donaire's left hook is close to it with Montiels' right cross and as Donaire pulls and override it a bit with his super left hook.

But yes it can be done....hand trapping without what they call PAK SAU in Wing Chun (slapping lead hand/ punch).....

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post

Bruce moved on from Wing Chun because it was so limited and yet Wing Chun practitioners have been using his popularity and living off his success ever since he died.

You MAY have the wrong choice of words....WING CHUN has been there for a long time from Princess Wing Chun who took it from the Shaolin. And so Bruce Lee's fame is what you probably meant in using Bruce Lee?

Wing Chun can stand alone without Bruce Lee though you're right that it was too limiting for Bruce Lee and thus he went further to research many arts from fencing, to jujitsu, to modern boxing...and etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Young Money View Post

wing chun is the foundation of bruce lee's style, the "intercepting fist"

it actally makes up the majority of the style

Comment

Originally posted by Blah! View Post
                    wing chun is the foundation of bruce lee's style, the "intercepting fist"

it actally makes up the majority of the style
                    Yes, his early "style" was that strictly of Yip Man Wing Chun...but his art of intercepting the fist (which he detested that label) Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do is HIS amalgamation of his studies that fit him (only)...he has taken the best of these arts to what fits him:

• Fencing
                    • Western Boxing (he loves Muhammad Ali)
                    • Choy Li Fut
                    • Jujitsu, Karate, Aikido

and the current Jeet Kune Do now has liberated martial arts because of Guro Dan Inosanto with:

• Filipino Martial Arts of (Kali-Arnis-Escrima)
                    • Penjak Silat - (Filipino - Malaysian - Indonesian) and instituted his own MaPhilIndo
                    • Muay Thai - Krabi Krabong
                    • Brazilian Jujitsu
                    • Savate - French

So yes, Wing Chun WAS his art but later shed that to learn from others also....
                    Last edited by fabie; 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I do boxing, and having sparred with a friend who has done Wing Chun, Praying Mantis, boxing and Kung Fu, he kicked my ass in a MMA sparring contest.

Now, my friend used his legs, which I don't, and I could not get in range because a leg is long. Secondly, he timed me with his feet, when I got close it would kick and push me back, and when off balance, he would throw about 20 punches Wing Chun style. It was very hard to defend against. The speed is very good, but it does lack power, although accurate because he used his body and arms as a centre line.

What I will say is, when I attacked first, he would get a 1 and 2 often, but also he would counter me a lot.

He tried teaching me how to block and punch thing, it was very hard to do, so they do have timing in their way with their stance.
                      Last edited by PlayerKiller; 04-28-2011, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X