Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pac's upper weight success = wing chun???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fabie View Post
    Thus rhyming my posting about my modified Wing Chun background in Jeet Kune Do. Great that we have more martial artists in here to show these things and love the Choy Li Fut also as another that can be seen that is "Similar" to what Pacquiao is doing.

But as a Jeet Kune Do practitioner, I would like to make a little correction....Bruce Lee isn't a southpaw. He is donning a southpaw stance because he is a right hander wanting to utilize his best hand as a lead in a street fight.

HIS JAB is his main arsenal as what we call. SINGLE DIRECT ATTACK, because in the streets, the jab could end the fight and thus his jab is not a PRECEDENT to a CROSS (in a sport of boxing)....but can be an end to the fight.

So for the FMA practitioners, the weapons hand is also most of time....the lead hand. At least that's what based on the Dan INosanto (Bruce Lee's main protege and proponent of JKD and FMA)...and so many of Pacquiao's techniques (again) can be seen readily and similar to the way to nullify the jab for example...

Please see this clip of Manny vs Cotto on how to nullify the jab and even Cotto's cross...that is akin to Mayweather's body jabs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lCZrOPrP-3o
    That video is good; however, I didn't see anything special there. Pacquiao was leading with his left which is how you beat an orthodox fighter if you are a southpaw. Mayweather also leads with his right hand, a lot, even when he is fighting an orthodox fighter. I think everyone is looking into these similarities between the various fighting sports way too much. Of course there is going to be similarities since the goal of each is to win as expediently and as efficiently as possible. Every sport should strive for economy and efficiency of motion. Also, the same fundamental principles will exist since the most effective mechanics don't magically change between sports.

Comment

Why the semantics and "fight" over the word BOXING? Boxing is a sport whereas the martial art of the fist is nothing new, it is ancient.

All art of the fist is that, an art of utiizing the science of defending oneself it is just so that the sport of boxing has been narrowed down to few rules but nevertheless a "fistic" art.

So what's the vilification of the martial arts? BOXING is a martial art. There's no such thing as this is better than that, all of them are different in how to use it. Same thing with the MMA.

But the beauty if the sport of BOXING is how to use the "punches" so as not to be "punched" likewise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
        That video is good; however, I didn't see anything special there. Pacquiao was leading with his left which is how you beat an orthodox fighter if you are a southpaw. Mayweather also leads with his right hand, a lot, even when he is fighting an orthodox fighter. I think everyone is looking into these similarities between the various fighting sports way too much. Of course there is going to be similarities since the goal of each is to win as expediently and as efficiently as possible. Every sport should strive for economy and efficiency of motion. Also, the same fundamental principles will exist since the most effective mechanics don't magically change between sports.
        There is no such thing as SPECIAL or ORDINARY in boxing or martial arts of the fist, if it works, it works. So what's the put downs on what's so special about it?

We're all in here for the beauty and sport of boxing and if if you don't appreciate that link then you are missing something. Any BASICS of boxing can be understood, applied and elevated into an artform.

Mayweather have the beautiful timing of his jabs, crosses and hooks...as well as the art of elusiveness and defense. Pacquiao have his relentless speed, strength and combination....Ali's science of boxing, Sugar Ray Leonard's agility, speed, quickness...Duran's bravado, inside fighting and heart....

All of them offers goodness and BASICS of boxing, it is the know-how. So when I posted that link, it isn't to put PACQUIAO on top, it is just to exemplify my points about the FMA and similarity...and the usage of angles.

Overall, it doesn't matter what art, methodology or techniques....any BASICS can be "advanced" as well. IN fact, Bruce Lee's main weapon is the simple direct attack known as the JAB in the sport of boxing.

Nothing special? Of course if you are looking for some artsy fancy but the simplest are often the best....it is about the heart and art of using SIMPLICITY for directness, timing, angles and defense.

PEACE.

Comment

Originally posted by fabie View Post
          There is no such thing as SPECIAL or ORDINARY in boxing or martial arts of the fist, if it works, it works. So what's the put downs on what's so special about it?

We're all in here for the beauty and sport of boxing and if if you don't appreciate that link then you are missing something. Any BASICS of boxing can be understood, applied and elevated into an artform.

Mayweather have the beautiful timing of his jabs, crosses and hooks...as well as the art of elusiveness and defense. Pacquiao have his relentless speed, strength and combination....Ali's science of boxing, Sugar Ray Leonard's agility, speed, quickness...Duran's bravado, inside fighting and heart....

All of them offers goodness and BASICS of boxing, it is the know-how. So when I posted that link, it isn't to put PACQUIAO on top, it is just to exemplify my points about the FMA and similarity...and the usage of angles.

Overall, it doesn't matter what art, methodology or techniques....any BASICS can be "advanced" as well. IN fact, Bruce Lee's main weapon is the simple direct attack known as the JAB in the sport of boxing.

Nothing special? Of course if you are looking for some artsy fancy but the simplest are often the best....it is about the heart and art of using SIMPLICITY for directness, timing, angles and defense.

PEACE.
          Very good post. I agree that the fundamentals are a very beautiful aspect of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkman0811 View Post
            Very good post. I agree that the fundamentals are a very beautiful aspect of boxing.
            Thank you....and let's not make this into another Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Both are excellent boxers and hope that they fight but back to the main topic of the author's question and intention:

• Pac's seemingly similarities to Wing Chun's battle punch

I have expounded on this a bit and not just from a "google's point of view" but because I've studied and practiced a modified Wing Chun through Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's famed art)...

And so in that light, the author is right in the light of using Pacquiao's speed and use of the triceps. But I've added that it is that and then some.

Pacquiao's strength is through his legs and abs as well...that's an eastern approach likewise and in a way the traditional Wing Chun of using their Tan Tien (I am a tai chi practioner for the last 15 yeas as well)....and the ground (legs)...

Comment

Glad someone brings up MARTIAL ARTS into boxing because the norm or the typical thing is that martial arts are not functional. Nothing can be furthered from the truth. BOXING is a beautiful sport within the ring that is limited by rules, an art form.

Martial arts encompasses all.

Does it mean it is better? NO. There's no such thing as better. Boxing is a martial, the usage of the fist within confined rules of punching and defense.

Both are beautiful and really one and the same in the spirit of pugilism.

Comment

Originally posted by madsweeney View Post
                I wouldn't credit it to wing chung, kali (his footwork is very similar) or any other martial arts. Roach does not teach those martial arts and Pacquiao doesn't have a background in any of these except perhaps kali/escrima which is commonly taught in grade school in the PI.
                Thus om Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's art) which I had taken...therey's fusion with the FMA due to Dan Inosanto, one of the 3 that Sigung Bruce have certified in the art of Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do and the Tao of Jeet Kune Do....

And yes you are right about the escrima/kali/arnis....

I've taken serrada escrima, pikiti Tersia and some Garimot Arnis...all of them are awesome and the "outside" zoning of Pacquiao can be seen and understood.

Comment

Originally posted by shadeyfizzle View Post
                  had a conversation with a colleague the other day that said pacquiao is such an accurate puncher nowadays because he incorporated wing chun into his fight style. Although im not buying it completely he did bring up a good point because as a martial arts instructor myself I know that the parralels that were being drawn are there.

Pacquiao does have the tendency to throw punches from the tricep.
                  He does throw sidearm punches to squeeze past opponents guards
                  He does throw punches directly to an opponents guard just to rip it down
                  He does a much better job staying on and protecting his center line at the higher weights.

What do u guys think? Anyone with a wing chun background able to comment on this?
                  yea his foot work is simular and his straight forward combos resemble the concept of chain punching. Plus as he said bruce lee is his idol.

Comment

He boxes, it's called boxing.

He punches from the hip.

It's quite stupid to pin his success on higher weight classes to Wing Chun.

Comment

**** for real? i just thort he was a fast ****.

Comment

Working...
                      X