No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Cotto post fight Thread -DON'T make new threads about the fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
    The adjustments were timing. On Judah he was able to adjust to the upper cut and the straight cross, that he was getting tagged with. On Mosley again it was timing and constantly changing up keeping Mosley out of his rhythm. Still he was outboxed my Judah but adjusted enough so that he could proceed to deliver a beatdown. I think he realized beating down Mosley wasn't going to happen, but that was an example of his timing overcoming Mosley's superior hand speed.

Look I don't disagree with you, likely we don't see that version of Cotto and Mayweather just has too much skill.

But there is to my suprise a tremendous buzz about this fight. Which seems somewhat unjustified given where Cotto's been since those performances. Like him or not my theory is that folks are thinking about the best version of Cotto up against Mayweather in this matchup. When as recently as prior to the second Margarito fight, Cotto was largely regarded as "shot".

Or maybe it's just that there's a lot of folks that would like to see Floyd beat and are trying to fabricate a version of Cotto that beats Floyd.

Floyd is my favorite fighter, but you got to admit, Cotto beating Mayweather would be like Douglas/Tyson, absolutely sick. I mean Floyd would have to be hurt for that to happen. We've just never seen it.
    Cotto isn't shot and hasn't been shot. I think he's as good as ever. More versatile and smarter now to make up for a slight decline in ability.

Comment

• this fight has so much hype it's nearly passing the pac-mayweather master thread in views!

too bad pac's fight can't get as much recognition lol, probably because he lost to a 38 year old lightweight

Comment

• yes, people genuinly think cotto will hurt floyd because of his "victory" against his nemesis, Antonio Margarito.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckfever View Post
          The adjustments were timing. On Judah he was able to adjust to the upper cut and the straight cross, that he was getting tagged with. On Mosley again it was timing and constantly changing up keeping Mosley out of his rhythm. Still he was outboxed my Judah but adjusted enough so that he could proceed to deliver a beatdown. I think he realized beating down Mosley wasn't going to happen, but that was an example of his timing overcoming Mosley's superior hand speed.

Look I don't disagree with you, likely we don't see that version of Cotto and Mayweather just has too much skill.

But there is to my suprise a tremendous buzz about this fight. Which seems somewhat unjustified given where Cotto's been since those performances. Like him or not my theory is that folks are thinking about the best version of Cotto up against Mayweather in this matchup. When as recently as prior to the second Margarito fight, Cotto was largely regarded as "shot".

Or maybe it's just that there's a lot of folks that would like to see Floyd beat and are trying to fabricate a version of Cotto that beats Floyd.

Floyd is my favorite fighter, but you got to admit, Cotto beating Mayweather would be like Douglas/Tyson, absolutely sick. I mean Floyd would have to be hurt for that to happen. We've just never seen it.
          I wouldn't go THAT far...

I think you may be right as far as what some are building Cotto up to be in this fight, but I also think people are making Floyd to be the Floyd of 2003-2004 in this fight as well. Mayweather still has the aura being he's still undefeated, but I think it's clear Floyd is in the latter stages of his career as well. That's also not to say that he's one foot into retirement, but the same goes for Cotto as well. The word "Shot" gets tossed around a bit too much to the wrong fighters. Roy Jones? THAT'S a shot fighter. I favor Floyd, but expect his toughest fight in quite a while. Cotto's not the recognized fighter he is today by being a ham and egger.

Comment

• Truth is simple.

No TS, it's the fact that besides his natural ability, he has a great trainer again and his confidence back. Boxing, people who have laced em up before know, is at least a 75% mental game. They also know what two pounds does to a dude who's skinny as **** already. Cotto has a perfect combination of all the tools now, mental and physical, besides his wars. I remember videos of interviews when he was still plowing through 140, Arum was touting him as better than DLH and Mayweather. Look at his methodical, patient style. He'll jump in and out with combos and has always been able to fight on the back-foot, since the Ceballos days. People think he's running - please. And so what does Floyd do? What did he do vs DLH? Cotto been saying Mayweather is good but he's better, always knew he could beat Floyd. They were been supposed to fight. Now Cotto will get it in.

It only helps that Floyd doesn't run as much as before. And the people in the sport saying Cotto can/may win know this. Cotto has a great combination of timing and speed without being the fastest and we all know he has a stronger jab. SO he sets up his combos with that stiffer jab. His ability to go southpaw is going to come into play too. Cotto has a good defense and is durable. And you absolutely cannot in any fight count on your opponent gassing out, what if he doesn't? What if his punches slow you down? Fact is Floyd will be getting hit and he misses a lot of punches sometimes - Losing round 2 vs Ortiz is one recent example. And that dude has a pretty crap defense. This strong Champ version of Cotto at 154 has been TKO'ing practical Middleweights, he already little for this weight. With P.L.D. he's going to bring a great strategy. Cotto can take a punch, plus hits a lot harder. His inside fighting will unleash some good connections. Foreman was a runner with good defense and Cotto got through. Clottey has a crazy shell and Cotto won all his rounds using that jab easy until the eye didn't let him see right hands. And he still ate those, LOL. Won't be easy but it's a TKO victory for Miguel all the way.

Cotto can cut off the ring if need be and will answer any combination Floyd throws with a harder punch. As long as you're not a huge ****er for the weight like Mayorga or Margarito, it's going to make you back up and reset when Cotto lands in those exchanges, like vs Mosley. Critics talk but Floyd was given a gift vs Castillo, DLH could have been called a draw too, there were mad close rounds. Floyd was moving back, landing non-meaningful punches almost the whole fight. Cotto fought an awesome fight vs an active Mosley and truly out-boxed him in a close but clear win. May 5th that 0 will go. I can't wait for the excuses!!!
            Last edited by PRking718; 03-07-2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• not gonna say *******S but fans who dont like mayweather say all or most of his fights are fixed lol why is that? your holdin a double standard wha about pac-rat?

was manny/jmm fixed? did arum buy out the judges on that one i had jmm winnin

Comment

• Originally posted by 915angel View Post
                not gonna say *******S but fans who dont like mayweather say all or most of his fights are fixed lol why is that? your holdin a double standard wha about pac-rat?

was manny/jmm fixed? did arum buy out the judges on that one i had jmm winnin
                I think damn near everyone in the world had JMM winning, even the filipinos at the MGM Grand were apologizing for Arum's bribee. Not a single boxer out there had Pac winning.

oh well comes with the territory.

Comment

• its jus funny cause when floyd wins people mostly *******s gonna say "oh he waited for pacquiao to get old" "hes the bigger man he shoulda won" "the fight was boring he boxed him all night",,"the fight was fixed" and if pacquiao wins people gonna overhype it callin it the next buster/tyson upset,,, -_- smh but tht comes with territory i guess

i see it being one sided mayweather boxing beautifully bein patient with shots pickin his shots,, and pacman being busted up by the eighth,,, late round stoppage for mayweather or a easy UD...

pacmans only chance is if he lands a lucky shot early in the fight which i dont see happinin,,

but back to may/cotto again i dont see mayweather gettin a ko but with 8oz gloves im callin a 11 round tko over cotto

Comment

• Cotto will hurt May but there is no way that he can win. Only option Cotto has is to TKO May early however with those 8oz gloves Cotto aint got the fire power. May gonna outbox him all night. May wins on the judges scorecards.

Comment

• Cotto has a chance. His left hook to the liver is his best weapon and could be very effective if Floyd elects to stand or stay stationary long enough. Floyd won't though.

Comment

Working...
                      X