No announcement yet.

Calzaghe fans are in damage control; legacy shattered

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SilverSamurai View Post
    A link on boxingscene a year ago, thanks I definately can find it now. Since when does the word from a bitter Frank Warren mean anything anyway?

As a Hopkins fan can I assume you know about the beautiful art of boxing which includes: Headbutting, clinching, low blows and pulling your opponents head down while hitting then with your other hand and facking being hit low .

After a shot Jones beats Hopkins it will be:
    Calzaghe resume >Hopkins resume
    WTF are you smoking, Pavlik,Tarver, DLH, Tito just to name a few is subpar to Kessler,42 yr old Hopkins, 40 yr old RJJ?

You need an intervention.
    Caltrashy fought Sakio Bika and Peter Manfredo in his last 5 fights. Thats speaks volumes about just how great he was.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
      It was not razor thin. He took twice as many rounds as Hopkins and would have stopped him if Hopkins hadn't acted like a ***** and faked being injured.
      Good one. You realize Calzaghe didn't land single punch in that round up that point? I'd like to go back and see if he even landed a punch in the previous round...

Comment

I must say, all 9 pages I've read up to this point of this thread, have been enjoyable. Even people with contrasting opinions are both laying out facts and figures to back up their statements- I dig it. This thread does have "substance". We need more discussions like this, and less name-calling right off the bat. Hater's screenname is either ironic, or meant to provoke you, but he does give you lots to consider in a well written manner.

I do think Calzaghe deserves something for going undefeated... but overrated, to an extent, yes. Maybe not so much in America. I think time will tell us. I do want to bring up the Hopkins match. I still think, like in every fight, there were circumstances that were a factor in B-Hop not pulling off a decisive victory. Namely- Freddie Roach. Usually brilliant, worked against B-Hop, who, from what I understood, was using Roach because Brother Nazeem was in the hospital or something. If you re.watch that fight, Roach tells B-Hop hes winning, etc. rather than tell him to pick up the pace. B-Hop seemed slightly off, and Roach said he should retire- and then, in B-Hop's next fight, he utterly humiliated Pavlik in a display of boxing wizardry. That tells us something about how well Roach knew B-Hop's capabilities. That takes nothing away from Roach, but maybe he just wasn't a great match with Hopkins. Otherwise, I think B-Hop would have devastated Calzaghe.

Calzaghe's legacy will most likely be that he is remembered as a great Welsh fighter, not a great fighter. If that makes sense. Maybe thats all that counts to him, and if thats the case, thats his perogative.

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
          It was not razor thin. He took twice as many rounds as Hopkins and would have stopped him if Hopkins hadn't acted like a ***** and faked being injured.
          don't you usually have to land punches to stop someone? well maybe not if you've seen some of calzaghe's "ko's"

Comment

Originally posted by mt102879 View Post
            Good one. You realize Calzaghe didn't land single punch in that round up that point? I'd like to go back and see if he even landed a punch in the previous round...
            its pointless these people are cross eyed and can't see straight. they think calzaghe was landing when he clearly wasn't if you watch it closely. i give them credit for not admitting defeat in the face of overwhelming video evidence though. go forth calzaghe nuthuggers!

Comment

Originally posted by Hater View Post
              Calzaghe’s real best win is technically a lost
              Why would his best win be a "lost"? Is it a TV series about John Locke on an island then?

Oh wait, you're uneducated and you mean "loss". Right. Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by JudeTheObscure View Post
                I must say, all 9 pages I've read up to this point of this thread, have been enjoyable. Even people with contrasting opinions are both laying out facts and figures to back up their statements- I dig it. This thread does have "substance". We need more discussions like this, and less name-calling right off the bat. Hater's screenname is either ironic, or meant to provoke you, but he does give you lots to consider in a well written manner.

I do think Calzaghe deserves something for going undefeated... but overrated, to an extent, yes. Maybe not so much in America. I think time will tell us. I do want to bring up the Hopkins match. I still think, like in every fight, there were circumstances that were a factor in B-Hop not pulling off a decisive victory. Namely- Freddie Roach. Usually brilliant, worked against B-Hop, who, from what I understood, was using Roach because Brother Nazeem was in the hospital or something. If you re.watch that fight, Roach tells B-Hop hes winning, etc. rather than tell him to pick up the pace. B-Hop seemed slightly off, and Roach said he should retire- and then, in B-Hop's next fight, he utterly humiliated Pavlik in a display of boxing wizardry. That tells us something about how well Roach knew B-Hop's capabilities. That takes nothing away from Roach, but maybe he just wasn't a great match with Hopkins. Otherwise, I think B-Hop would have devastated Calzaghe.

Calzaghe's legacy will most likely be that he is remembered as a great Welsh fighter, not a great fighter. If that makes sense. Maybe thats all that counts to him, and if thats the case, thats his perogative.
                yes it was unfortunate hopkins didn't have his normal trainer for the winky and calzaghe fights. both fights he looked terrible in. let's see how well calzaghe does without enzo. oh wait he's too scared to even fly on a plane without his daddy. fight canceled.

if a guy with parkinsons could see hopkins was winning what kind of diseases do you think the judges had?
                Last edited by daggum; 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oasis_Lad View Post
                  Calzaghe won. What's you point?
                  Taylor beat Hopkins(TWICE) before Slappy did...

I guess JT is a great fighter too.

Comment

this thread got me laughing my ass off
                    bless you haters

Comment

• Frank Warren already shattered Calzaghe's legacy in the article. What Ward did to Calzaghe's career defining victory in Kessler just adds insult to injury. Joe has no one to blame but himself for how his career played out and ultimately will be remembered. He chose to take no risks and fight poor opposition throughout a career that began in 93 and ended in 08. The only notable names are 2 past prime all-time greats, a past it but once very good Chris Eubank, and Mikkel Kessler. His claim to fame is that he still has his 0. Well congratulations to you Joe Calzaghe.

Comment

Working...
                      X