Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Does No One Talk About The Lineal HW Title Anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Does No One Talk About The Lineal HW Title Anymore?

Why Does No One Talk About The Lineal HW Title Anymore?

It was a big thing when Tyson Fury came from retirement. Here was the great "Lineal Champion" against the hard-hitting WBC Champion in Wilder. Fury fans couldn't shut up about how much the Lineal belt meant and the history behind it.

Now Usyk has won it - no one cares about it. It's like it doesn't exist.... People seem to worry more about the IBF belt possibly not being up for grabs in the rematch

Why?

In the case of Fury, "Lineal Champion" was probably referring to coke lines.

Comment

It was mostly something for his fanboys to hold onto.

Comment

Fury mucked up the lineage with his "retirements" anyway.

Many people considered the lineage vacant after his first retirement, and they thought the new lineage began when Fury beat Wilder in their second fight.

But then he "retired" again, and The Ring and TBRB both began a new lineage with Fury "retired" in the Usyk v Joshua rematch.

Now that Usyk has beaten Fury there's no debate and the lineage is restored from any perspective, whether you honored Fury's "retirements" or not.

Sort of like welterweight.

Some people thought the lineage was vacant from the retirement of Mayweather until Crawford beat Spence.

Other people considered Bradley v Pacquiao a new lineal fight, with Pac winning.

But then Pac "retired" briefly, then unretired, then lost to Horn. Then Crawford beat Horn. Some people think Pac didn't really retire and the lineage went to Horn and then Crawford, some honored the retirement and thought the lineage was vacant until the Spence fight, and some never honored Pac's lineal claim to begin with.

Comment

I thought once ESPN started forcing it down our throats a lot of people on this site got frustrated and stopped discussing it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            I thought once ESPN started forcing it down our throats a lot of people on this site got frustrated and stopped discussing it.
            Most people are ignorant as to what a lineal championship even is.

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post

Most people are ignorant as to what a lineal championship even is.
              Outside of diehards, yes. You know Stephen A and the rest of the casual faces at ESPN that constantly used it had no idea.

Always felt like they were trying to make Fury the man because he was with TR and only had one belt while AJ and then Usyk had the other 3.
              billeau2 billeau2 dannnnn dannnnn like this.

Comment

Fury talked about it alot, so maybe thats why.

IMO, its just another way of trying to determine who is the "best" or the real "champ." Often overlaps with the Ring. Sometimes the lineal champ isnt even the best, he just happened on the right circumstances.

We all know that Usyk is THE champ. Even if he wasnt lineal, he'd still be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post

Outside of diehards, yes. You know Stephen A and the rest of the casual faces at ESPN that constantly used it had no idea.

Always felt like they were trying to make Fury the man because he was with TR and only had one belt while AJ and then Usyk had the other 3.
                  Honestly, I considered Fury's lineal claim invalid after his first retirement. It wasn't until he knocked out Wilder for the TBRB Championship, Ring belt, and WBC belt that I considered him champion again. But then he "retired" again and Usyk beat Joshua for the TBRB and Ring Championships, so as far as I'm concerned Usyk has already been the real lineal champion since that point.

When Joe Louis retired for 1.5 years, his lineal claim was ended and he had to fight Ezzard Charles for the vacant lineal championship upon his return. Charles won the fight to become champion, but that's not the point. The point is if Joe Louis wasn't allowed to keep his lineal championship through a retirement, neither should Fury.
                  The Big Dunn The Big Dunn likes this.

Comment

Usyk is the lineal champion
                    There I said it first
                    Now does that. Make me a fanboy ???
                    billeau2 billeau2 likes this.

Comment

Working...
                    X